Bushman-esq's Trailer :: Vielle Cabana - old shack!
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Registry
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Vielle Cabana - old shack!

Registry
Trailer Name Vielle Cabana - old shack!
Year 1977
Make SurfSide
Model TM-14
Length 14
Packages TM-14
Surfin
History I purchased in 2015. Working on fixing up to camp this year.
Camping went fantastic this summer. Time to start working on trailer modifications again. New three way fridge to install. Cook top and propane heater to be cleaned up and re-installed as well. My winter project.
Update 2020
Well it has been a strange year. We are so thankful for our little trailer. It has kept us grounded. It is nice to go camping when everyone is on lock down. Been able to camp at provincial parks and property that my family owns. Made a big difference. Installed a new bumper in the fall as my old one was damaged. I have to check the axle in the spring as some of the off road camping at my families property may have caused some damage. Spring project!!
Well it has been an interesting couple of years. The Cabana is doing great. New wheel bearings last year and tires. She towes great once again!!
I added an awning to the girl this year from a 10 foot pop up trailer that work great. However, I had to do some reinforcing of the support structure inside the trailer as the weight of the awning has stressed the trailer roof over the closet.
I am so ready for things to open up and do some serious camping this year! Have fun!!
Exterior
A front mounted bike rack was added to the trailer this year(2020). Work great carries two bikes!
Bumper was also replaced. old bumper was the hollow sewer style. Rust had got the better of it so it was removed and a new steel bumper added.

Customization
New dometic Refrigerator (from Amazon). New 500 Amp hour battery was added and the electrical system updated. I also added a solar panel so camping off grid is easier. I also made room under the front bunk for a portable toilet. Just a small cassette toilet but it works great.

I can run for a week off grid - no problem. Two with solar panels connected. 3-way fridge will run for 2 of three days depending on outside temperature on battery but I typically use propane. I have two tanks and they typically last all summer - ruffly about a month or two camping.

Renovations
Added a few cupboards and a new 3-way refrigerator. not bad at all. Thanks keithfwhite for your advise. very helpful.

The cupboards at the rear over the table / bed work fantastic for storing sleeping bag and pillows.

Other Information
Camp - all set up camp set up camper friend!!
Camping - once the site is set up it is Crown time!

Tow Vehicle
2013 Hyundai Tuson
2013 Hyundai Tucson LE
2.4 Litre four cylinder (147 cubic inch displacement)
Tow rating / capacity = 2,000 lbs

I have not had any trouble towing the trailer with my Hyundai. The transmission is geared very well for handling a load of this type. I have not had any issues on back roads or hi-ways to date.
I towed the surfer through Hockley Valley this summer and I did not have any trouble with the steep grades. The Tucson easily handled going up the grade as well as down.
Views: 4053