1 step forward - 2 steps back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
So - after doing some work for my friends 13' - got me thinking about mine....

When I gutted mine last year, I did it quickly and didn't pay a lot of attention to the previous holes, and didn't properly fix the old holes... So - I decided on gutting my 72 Boler again - - well today the cabinets are out - and all my rivets have been drilled out - and fiberglassed over...

yeah - I forgot how much work it is, but doing it right this time, and really spending time on the holes, and will re-mount my cabinets after I get my exterior paint done.

Question - has anyone lined the kitchen area with beach-wood - - the very thin flexible lite wood... it is normally used for covering toe-kicks in kitchen areas? I'm thinking about cutting a piece for the size of my kitchette - and put molding around the edges - and then staining the wood a nice Cherry color...

Also - being a Granicrete installer, I'm planning on doing a Custom countertop with why not - - an undermount sink if I can figure it out.... stay tuned...

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Tim,

I know I'm not addressing your question here, but I wanted to suggest something from the fiberglass boatbuilding world. If you really have the trailer gutted, and the rivet holes filled, you might consider re-attaching your cabinets, etc. with fiberglass tabbing. Not only would the tabbing create a much stronger structure, but you would have no holes.

You could either fillet and tab directly, or you could 'glass a cleat to the shell and then fasten sideways into that.

For things like large structural bulkheads, it's advisable to create a gap (with foam or the like) between the item and the "hull," but that's not usually necessary on smaller items.
So likely not on the kitchen cabinets.... maybe on the closet.

If you don't have the Ensolite down, then you probably don't want to consider this. And it's certainly not necessary; just an option.

Of course I must beg for photos

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Question - has anyone lined the kitchen area with beach-wood - - the very thin flexible lite wood... it is normally used for covering toe-kicks in kitchen areas? I'm thinking about cutting a piece for the size of my kitchette - and put molding around the edges - and then staining the wood a nice Cherry color...
I remember a topic some time ago, where someone lined their entire 13' Scamp with it to make it look like a rustic cabin inside. Even installed a wood-burning stove/fireplace!

I just cannot remember what keyword to search for...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That would be the "Pine Cone Boler" -- actual wood staves, as I recall, albeit thin.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=30684&st=0
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Thanks for the input - - ensolite was ripped out last year - and rhino lined - so i removed all the uppers - left the closet - and removed the sink... the others I'm leaving in place and am going to front the face of them with this thin thin wood...

photos soon - very soon - - as time permits...

my honey do lists dont' consist of re-doing the camper... I'm sure I'm not the only one here with that "situation"
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
... being a Granicrete installer, ...
Does Granicrete have connection to Grancrete?
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote