1000 Places To Camp Before You Die - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Gray Bay, Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii) BC.

Free, uncrowded campsite right on the Pacific Ocean (facing east: watch the sun rise over the Pacific!), free firewood, picnic tables, fire pits, big, warm waves, no services. No stores, no cafes, no coin-operated anything, no paved anything, no noise, no worries.

Catch crab, cook crab, eat crab, sleep. Wake up, canoe or kayak or snorkel, repeat -- til you run out of water. Then must return to civilization!

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Honeyman State Park Florence OR Take your ATV, or just walk the beach, swim the lakes
Attached Thumbnails

christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #17
Trailer: 72 Boler

here are mine

1. Emerald lake BC
2. Takakia (sp) falls in Yoho Nat Park B.C. highest falls in N. America
3. Dawson city Yukon
Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #18
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Don’t miss Rancheria RV park Hwy 89 in northern California near Burney, Ca. Here are a few photos. They will speak for themselves.

Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #19
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
This campground is short on amenities but long on breathtaking scenery and great trout fishing. It is one of the highest campgrounds in North America at 10, 000 feet. It was a location for several films including "The Maverick Queen" (1956) staring Barbara Stanwyck and Berry Sullivan and "Winterhawk" (1976), a movie with a melodramatic story line but exceptional cinematography.
Attached Thumbnails
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #20
Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Great spots folks!

Craig ... you've got to atleast give us a "hint" as to the campground's location!

We , too, like to camp at 10,000 ft (3048 m) ... and have several prime campsites in national forest spots in Colorado's famed "14-ers" ... a large group of mountains with peaks over 14,000 ft (4,267 m).
Charles Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #21
Come on!

Everyone has a favorite campsite ...

Please add yours ... to help us write "1000 places to camp before you die!"

If not your favorite (which you may want to keep secret ... I understand) .... where is it y'all hope to camp again before it's too late!

I hope to be able to return to Gulf Islands National Seashore ... west of Pensacola Beach, Fla.

We've camped there at Easter for more than a decade .... but due to recent hurricane damage (hit twice in two years) ... the barrier island has been breached in several spots ... the road totally destroyed ... and alas, the campground closed until further notice.

So last Easter ... we ran down to St. Bernard State Park, near New Orleans, LA ... and yes, that does sound familar ... St. Bernard parish was one of the most heavily damaged areas in the recent hurricane and flood.

So ... to make a long story short ...

Gulf Islands National Seashore ... closed due to hurricane damage.

St. Bernards State Park, near New Orleans ... closed due to hurricane damage

Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Looks like Molas Lake CO. From there north to Ouray is some of the finest camping and siteseeing in the country. If you like 4wheeling, it's a must do. Mike B
Attached Thumbnails
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #23
Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'll "second" the Molas Lake vote. I've hiked from that location clear over the mountains in the background on three different ocassions. Mighty beautiful country. I'd live out there if it weren't so darned expensive.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #24
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mike wins the prize. To collect, look for my Casita at 1510 Mineral St., Silverton on the 4th of July.

Also high on my list of spectacular campsites is Mountain Shadow on the Cassiar Highway, Iskut, BC. There are several note worthy camping spots on the Cassiar but Mountain Shadow just took my breath away. Follow this link for photos: http://www.karo-ent.com/cassiarno.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM   #25
Craig ... we're going to be running up through Telluride in early July ... and be at Gunnison Black Canyons on the 4th.

We'll look for you on the road!

I agree ... the "Million Dollar Highway" between Durango and Montrose is spectacular ... but sometime try the less crowded drive up Route 146 ... equally spectacular.

Also ... camping at Ouray's Amphitheater campground in the national forest is tight ... but doable in our little fiberglass wonders. Make sure you make a reservation because it's almost always full.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #26
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

We picked up our LD last summer and nervously (like parents of a new baby) wandered through the Hill Country of Texas slowly heading for Zion before turning East again to wander towards home to South Carolina. The Hill Country taught us that we could survive pulling our Casita but our GMC six would be challenged in the mountains. We stopped in New Mexico at Rock Hound State Park…tired and exhausted after a long drive from the Davis Mountains in Texas. We had been told by friends to get a site at the top of the park if possible…we didn’t know why. We took a nap and when we woke up sat in our chairs outside the Casita and looked out across the plain towards Deming…the lights were just coming on…a cool breeze was coming up the cliffs of the Las Floridas…the sleeping dragon was to our left…wow!...what a relaxing place to camp…we stayed two days just so we could see the lights and enjoy the breezes again. I will post a picture tonight if I can…my favorite place…Rock Hound State Park in New Mexico.

Attached Thumbnails
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #27
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Christine, I am going to Do It In Florence next week!

I am at Honeyman on Tuesday nite. Drop by and see the FLORENCENT red egg!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #28
Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have not done much camping but last year we stayed at Indian Dunes State Park. We were able to take the train to see a Norte Dame Football and take the train the other way to Chicago. The train station is less then a mile from the campground. Great hiking trails.

kevin5465 is offline   Reply With Quote