12 volt fridge opinions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
12 volt fridge opinions?

Hello Group! As some of you are aware the Norcold 3-way fridge in my T@b died over the summer. Due to the odd venting configuration and opening size we cant just swap it for any ole fridge. I spoke to Little Guy today who is now building the T@bs and he offered me 2 choices. #1 is another Norcold 3-way which I havent read the most positive long term reports or a new 12 volt compressor style fridge which will require no add'l venting and is suppose to cool down faster, get colder etc. I forgot to ask the brand but did send him an email requesting that info. It is lighter and costs about $200 less than a 3-way. So what do ya'll think of these new 12 volt compressor fridges? I want to have this replaced before my WY trip next summer.

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
It should work fine, but you had better find out what the power consumption is. I can only imagine that the compressor draws alot. It doesn't run 100% of the time, but say to maintain 40 degrees in 90 degree ambient they should have a number.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello Group! As some of you are aware the Norcold 3-way fridge in my T@b died over the summer. Due to the odd venting configuration and opening size we cant just swap it for any ole fridge. I spoke to Little Guy today who is now building the T@bs and he offered me 2 choices. #1 is another Norcold 3-way which I havent read the most positive long term reports or a new 12 volt compressor style fridge which will require no add'l venting and is suppose to cool down faster, get colder etc. I forgot to ask the brand but did send him an email requesting that info. It is lighter and costs about $200 less than a 3-way. So what do ya'll think of these new 12 volt compressor fridges? I want to have this replaced before my WY trip next summer.

Thanks!

Melissa
If I were to build my camper today, I would install a danfoss type refrigerator instead of the three way which it has.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I did a little poking around and I'm seeing numbers like 3 to 5 amps. That is surprisingly good. If the box is well insullated, it shouldn't have to run all that much. The Engle 65qt says 3 amps. I'm impressed.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

EggCamper uses a 12 volt compressor fridge and had mentioned how low of a power draw it has. It will be nice to find out the brand.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
EggCamper uses a 12 volt compressor fridge and had mentioned how low of a power draw it has. It will be nice to find out the brand.
Mellisa,
My EggCamper has the Norcold DC0040, compressor fridge. 2.7-1.35 amps, according to the Thetford (Norcold) specs. When mine runs, it's drawing the 2.7 amps. I suspect the second number (1.35) is the average draw when considering a 50% duty cycle (on and off time).

It is small, but works well. There is some vibration noise from the compressor, and I'm now trying to mitigate some of it by mounting it on a rubber pad. It's not obnoxious, but is noticeable. Post from another EggCamper owner mentioned a different model # in his unit, and he also talked about trying to reduce the compressor noise. Overall, I like the fridge.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just curious, is the dead fridge a Norcold N 300? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

No, it's model number 3163LGR. It's a completely sealed unit and instead of the controls being on the back of the fridge they're on the side making for a wider footprint. Also the burn box is on the left side yet the vent on the T@b is on the right with no cooling fan so heat build up is definately an issue. The sink/stove combo unit gets too hot to touch if you dont open the cabinet door and turn on the roof vent to draw air across the fridge and out the vent. It's a very poor design and e'body on the T@b group complains about it. A new 12 volt compressor fridge would eliminate all these issues. Even if I lose fridge space it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Just curious, is the dead fridge a Norcold N 300? Raz
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Melissa,
I had a T@da which had two of the 12vNorcolds, installed by factory Dutchmen. They pull very little power, maybe an average 1.5-2 amps. Very efficient but a little louder than your older one operating off propane. In addition the 12volt maybe a little smaller than the 3 way, 1.7 cu ft(reason why I had 2 of them)That is the advantages of the 3 way. considering your T@b is what 5-6 years old, and several owners who may have not maintained it, you may want to consider replacing it with the 3 way. It will pull less amps on propane, will be quieter and will fit the existing opening. Just my thoughts. I also remember some T@b's modifications with the cooling fan on the 3 way and vents underneath the refer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge