12v Kitchen appliances - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: 17', SD, Casita on order, PU 9/19/17
California
12v Kitchen appliances

I have purchased a 12v/110v TV. ( I know many of you don't like tv's in the trailer) I am now thinking of a toaster or toaster oven or other kitchen appliance. Is it best to get one, if possible, that runs on 12V or 110v. I understand that if I am not hooked up to shore power it has to be 12v, but otherwise does it matter?
Newby here!!!!!

Mark

Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
No personal experience, but I've read that most 12 volt appliances leave a lot to be desired. VERY slow to do whatever it is they are designed for. The one exception seems to be a slow cooker, since it's supposed to be slow. I have used the little, one cup, immersible heaters that plug into 12 volt. It worked reasonably well, but as far as blenders and coffee makers, I haven't heard much good.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
My wife likes to wash her hair in the morning. II have gone through the effort of getting out and hooking up the generator just for that purpose. A 12V hair drier/curler does the job reaonbly well and saves a lot of effort.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
12 Volt appliances if you're not connected to shore power will run the battery down rapidly. Not a good idea.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I have purchased a 12v/110v TV. ( I know many of you don't like tv's in the trailer) I am now thinking of a toaster or toaster oven or other kitchen appliance. Is it best to get one, if possible, that runs on 12V or 110v. I understand that if I am not hooked up to shore power it has to be 12v, but otherwise does it matter?
Newby here!!!!!

Mark
Get 110V because 12V don't do well except for a TV and quickly run down your battery. We have a small TV that we use just to watch news or weather in dangerous situations. Our TV works on 12V and 110V and is only 10 inches. You can get a larger one but is harder to store when traveling and at night when sleeping. We can watch it on 110V when we are hooked to shore power and watch DVD's on it also since we have a DVD player.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Name: mark
Trailer: 17', SD, Casita on order, PU 9/19/17
California
Thanks, all for your replys.

mark
Old 05-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #7

Name: Bex
California
How about a stove top toaster. I've used the Coleman one and it worked just fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2986I6/
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...dp/B00GVJDHE0/
Old 05-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #8

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
12 Volt appliances if you're not connected to shore power will run the battery down rapidly. Not a good idea.
I have to agree with Byron, Although maybe not in CA but here in Maine if dry camping I want my battery power for the furnace. Nights in summer can get down into the 40's.
I will perk my coffee and cook with propane
Old 05-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #9

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccasf View Post
How about a stove top toaster. I've used the Coleman one and it worked just fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2986I6/
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...dp/B00GVJDHE0/
Or just butter bread and grill in pan like an empty grill cheese
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #10

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
We mainly cook outside, using a BBQ / grill and a one burner butane stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

Name: Scamper
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Looking good there Glenn

Looking good..
Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #12

Name: Sue
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Hmmm..I wanted to take a small toaster oven because sometime I like to bake or broil things apart from toast, and it works great for that. But if I have to have a shore hook up all the time to use it, I'm debating whether it's even worth carrying. I'll be learning to make more skillet dinners! Will probably use my coleman stove outside too.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #13

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercorgi View Post
Hmmm..I wanted to take a small toaster oven because sometime I like to bake or broil things apart from toast, and it works great for that. But if I have to have a shore hook up all the time to use it, I'm debating whether it's even worth carrying. I'll be learning to make more skillet dinners! Will probably use my coleman stove outside too.
No reason not to adapt what you eat or how you prepare your meals versus trying to do everything identical to the way you would do it at home. Enjoying the making these small changes is part of enjoying the new adventures. It is good for your brain and personality to make such adaptations, it makes you "flexible" and it teaches you not to make mountains out of mole hills

Challenge yourself to switch it up at home by incorporating more things in your regular diet that are cooked the way you will do it in in your FGRV. For instance this last week I was developing a recipe using flaked, dehydrated black beans as part of the meal and also some dry polenta mix. The dehydrated black beans turned out to be great. They make a quick and easy and very tasty bean soup that only takes minutes to prepare. I also used them as the base to create a spicy chili sauce (think enchilada sauce) to put on top of the polenta that I had turned into cakes and cooked in the skillet. So now I have several new meals that were a great addition to life at home base and I would not have created them if it were not for thinking about making things that are easy to store without needing refrigeration and easy to quickly prepare in my FGRV using non electric cooking methods.