13' deluxe layouts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here is a mod made to a friend's Scamp 16. It moved the supports out of the way for easy access to the bottom bunk.
I did something similiar, much uglier but also a lot beefier. I made it so the front bunk can be left set up all the time thus allowing the bottom bunk area (sans cushions) to be ustilized for storage. It works well for my daughter and I as I also leave the rear dinette set up as my bed.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I did something similiar, much uglier but also a lot beefier. I made it so the front bunk can be left set up all the time thus allowing the bottom bunk area (sans cushions) to be ustilized for storage. It works well for my daughter and I as I also leave the rear dinette set up as my bed.
Being empty nesters we find the front couch or bunk gets used for storage more than anything else. Suitcases and such. One nice thing is with the top bunk up the items stored on bottom bunk are less visible from outside. Camera bag, laptop, etc. out of sight is the benefit.

I think one problem (for older campers) is that the fiberglass on the wood can hold things together even after it is structurally unsound from the wood rotting. Top bunk still "works" but would not support any real weight. My first clue only came about because I set two suitcases on the same half and happened to notice a small amount of dip taking place on the back. If there had been bedding on it I would have never have noticed.

As Donna noted there are no visible fasteners that one can see are failing. Need to have the bunk up and get under it to inspect.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I have a 2012 Scamp 13 Deluxe with the front bunks so it's definitely an easy option to order. My girls are 5ft 100 lbs and 5ft 2in 104 lbs. (she's 18 so never going to get too tall for the bunks lol). Scamp factory said there is no problem with either of them sleeping on the top bunk with plenty of safety margin left over. It indeed seems very stable when one of them is on it. No give, sag etc. I echo the sentiment of checking a used trailer over very closely before putting any weight up there.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The little board the top bunk hinges are screwed to was a little "punky" (rotten or seperated) a couple of places along its' length in my Scamp. But it came from two causes. In the center it was from a leak in the window seal above (since fixed). It was also pretty loose where the hinges attached but since I had the bunk out anyway installing a new cover I just moved the hinges over a little to get fresh wood for the screws to bite into. I used one size larger screws also, it is plenty secure for my little princess. In fact, I have seen TWO little princesses (10 & 11 yrs old) sitting up there playing cards (in my driveway). The little Scamp makes a grand playhouse!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good to know Melissa. I'll put the limit at 100 lbs. I like those real world tests. Thx

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #26

Name: Shawn
Trailer: In market for scamp 13
Nebraska
The sofa/ bunk bed won't be for me. Does the front table area on a 13' turn into a stable bed for an adult?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Unfortunately not. I'm assuming you mean the deluxe version front dinette. It does not span the full width of the trailer, as there's a cabinet on the streetside end. It's only long enough for a child.

What many have done is to remove the top bunk from the sofa/bunk layout, cut out the center of the sofa, and turn it into a full-width convertible dinette. There's a natural footwell there, intended for porta-potty storage. It's not uncommon to find a used one for sale that has had that mod done (probably not a deluxe, though). I'd hate to do that to a brand-new unit, though!

Lots of discussion about why Scamp doesn't offer this from the factory, but the fact remains- they don't.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #28

Arizona
Registry
I know you are looking mainly at Scamps, but you might want to at least consider an Escape 13'. I saw one for sale recently that seemed to have what you're looking for: wood interior, full-width dinette in front that sleeps 1 adult, dinette in back that sleeps 2 adults. Escapes are nice trailers by most accounts.
Here's the ad:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-64868.html
Looks like it has been sold and, unfortunately, the 13'ers are, as the ad points out, rare.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #29

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
The sofa/ bunk bed won't be for me. Does the front table area on a 13' turn into a stable bed for an adult?

Scamp sales told me last summer that they could omit the cabinet to the right of the stove to make a full width bench with the front dinette option.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Scamp sales told me last summer that they could omit the cabinet to the right of the stove to make a full width bench with the front dinette option.
Thanks for the information and correction, Anne. I've read more than one thread discussing this same thing.

I'm thinking this would require a larger cushion on the streetside seat (since the table is offset toward the curbside), and one that is not normally made for any other configuration. Surprised that wasn't an issue, actually.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Thanks for the information and correction, Anne. I've read more than one thread discussing this same thing.

I'm thinking this would require a larger cushion on the street side seat (since the table is offset toward the curbside), and one that is not normally made for any other configuration. Surprised that wasn't an issue, actually.
You might have the notion that Scamp is a conventional factory!
Custom sizing of cushions doesn't present a problem since each one is laid out and hand sewn. I simply called and requested a custom cushion for the bridge on my wrap around couch and they were glad to make it for me without delay.
BTW; that mod adds a HUGE amount of storage. Along with the big closet in the front, this mod makes the front bath 13 the most practical and comfortable choice when traveling alone or as a couple.
For a single traveler, it allows for a dinette and a 30" bunk to be set up full time while still having a shower/toilet.
It also takes the drudgery out of taking the full bed up and down.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 013.jpg   scamp pictures 020.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Custom sizing of cushions doesn't present a problem since each one is laid out and hand sewn. I simply called and requested a custom cushion for the bridge on my wrap around couch and they were glad to make it for me without delay.
I was thinking they at least used standard templates (or patterns, or whatever you call them in the upholstery business) to cut the pieces of fabric. That's good to know.

BTW, I really like your u-shaped dinette mod. For now, I'll keep the larger table to fit the four of us on the rare occasions when we eat inside, but when we're only two, I'd like to do something similar. Saving your photos to my "Ideas" folder.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
[QUOTE=Coletrain;478186]Hello, I just joined the group, because it seems I have Scamp fever. I'm hoping to hear input from others about durability of the scamps.
I'll be pulling it 10-15k miles a year.

Thanks.

We have had both the standard 13' & the deluxe. We mostly used the bunk set-up for storage, but the deluxe had so much more storage (all out of sight), and we loved it. We now have a Lil Snoozy since the wife wanted a bathroom, and I wanted a comfortable place to sit while the bed was in use.
If you "click" on our avatar and go to "mods" you will see many pictures.
Best of Luck in your search, and welcome to the FGRV family.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01230.jpg   DSC01241.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
I was thinking they at least used standard templates (or patterns, or whatever you call them in the upholstery business) to cut the pieces of fabric. That's good to know.

BTW, I really like your u-shaped dinette mod. For now, I'll keep the larger table to fit the four of us on the rare occasions when we eat inside, but when we're only two, I'd like to do something similar. Saving your photos to my "Ideas" folder.
The table you see is 20X30 but because of the wraparound design it seats four more comfortably than the stock table, even though the stock table has twice the surface area. We have often had four for lunch or card games and have found that the elbow room was more important.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #35

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The table you see is 20X30 but because of the wraparound design it seats four more comfortably than the stock table, even though the stock table has twice the surface area. We have often had four for lunch or card games and have found that the elbow room was more important.

Makes sense. Less space for table = more space for bodies. Mine only has the 44" dinette, so I'd have to accept either a narrower table and/or a narrower rear bench.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Makes sense. Less space for table = more space for bodies. Mine only has the 44" dinette, so I'd have to accept either a narrower table and/or a narrower rear bench.

Not really, the bridge cushion is 24" (same as the side cushions) plus the 20" table equals 44". The additional 10" is a board attached to the bridge with a piano hinge which stows up behind the rear cushion when in couch mode.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 009.jpg   scamp pictures 010.jpg  

Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #37

Arizona
Registry
That's clever, Floyd. Thank for posting the pics.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #38

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Teacher, here.
Every kid is different, but most of the kids I teach wouldn't want to sleep in such a small space with the adults, unless it was raining and/or lightning. Most of them would rather be in their own tent away from the adults.

But every family has to make these decisions themselves. That's why a 100lb bunk would seem to me to be big enough for a younger child. It doesn't need to hold a larger child, because they'd want their own tent, anyway. Plus, you don't want their crap in the camper. Give them their own tent to trash!

When the lightning starts, put them right on the floor or in the suv if you can.

That's where my teacher brain goes on the bunk weight question.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
13' deluxe layouts

My thinking, too. My girls are 8 and 11 and they already like their own tent sometimes. But I can also see that if I were planning a cross-country tour and breaking camp every day or two, inside berths for all might be important.