13' deluxe layouts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
Does the bunk bed set up only come with the sofa configuration and not the front table set-up? Or, do both of those set-up options transform to bunk beds?
I wouldn't be asking these questions if I had found the answers in the literature.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Scamp 13 Deluxe under Specifications/Features states Sleeps one to three. The front dinette model sleeps max of three (front dinette is short bed for child) the bath and stool model sleeps max of two.

Only Scamp that I can see sleeps four adults is the 19' 5th wheel which has a loft bed and a full size dinette bed.

The main reason I can see for purchasing the 13 deluxe over the standard from a floor plan only perspective is the front dinette model has some extra storage cabinets and second table allowing the rear bed to remain set up. Or front dinette can optionally be used as a couch. The wood interior is very nice but I'm just talking about floor plan advantages. Which to my mind suits empty nester couples that don't require a bathroom really well.

If one wanted to camp with 4 adults I would say all being inside a 13 ft. would be an interesting exercise in synchronized breathing. Half of you are going to have to breath out to let the other half have room to breathe in. Four people can "be" in there to play cards or visit but that number of adults can't really "function" in that size of a space.

Parents with two kids have said it takes a little juggling to get two kids ready for bed.

I have to ask since the Deluxe has a premium price have you considered the 16 ft. standard model? Don't know the relative prices or your TV capacity. Just wondering if it was something you had been considering.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There have been many discussions about the Scamp upper bunk limits. And yes, some folks that sleep fine on the upper bunk are 100+ pounds. But you know what? It only takes ONE failure to ruin a camping trip or hurt someone to say... it's NOT worth it! I'd sleep on an air mattress, in a sleeping bag right outside the door before I would want to hurt the person sleeping in the bottom bunk. YMMV

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There have been many discussions about the Scamp upper bunk limits. And yes, some folks that sleep fine on the upper bunk are 100+ pounds. But you know what? It only takes ONE failure to ruin a camping trip or hurt someone to say... it's NOT worth it! I'd sleep on an air mattress, in a sleeping bag right outside the door before I would want to hurt the person sleeping in the bottom bunk. YMMV
When we picked up our 13 standard 2 weeks ago, I asked the guy who was explaining the operation and all the features, exactly how much does the top bunk hold? He replied 125 to 130 lbs. The fact that he gave me a range, and not an exact figure sounded to me like he pulled that number out of thin air. It may have been someone's best guess? We'll probably never have a use for the top bunk, but I was curious what the factory would say. I'm with Donna on this. Err on the safe side. I would think twice letting anyone over 80 lbs sleep up there, especially with someone below them.

One thing I didn't read here yet is that Scamp has much more latitude when working with the Deluxe or wood floor plans. For instance, even though the website or brochure doesn't show it; you can get the 13 Deluxe with the front couch / bunk floor plan. It only shows front bath or front dinette in the literature. A phone call to one of the salesman will go a long way toward answering questions. Even then, you sometimes have to know what to ask. Doing your homework here on the forum, shows me you are on the right track.

Tom
Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I, too, asked Scamp about the upper bunk weight limit (by phone in my case ) and the rep gave me an answer of 150# just as quickly. Sounds better than "we have no idea," I guess. I'd have no qualms about 100# myself in a new unit. But not a full-size adult on a regular basis. There could be ways to reinforce it, but (as an earlier poster said) there's no way 4 adults would be happy for very long in a 10'x6' space!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The piece for the upper bunk of a Scamp is only fiberglassed to the front of the shell. As a lot of us know when it comes to motor vehicles... don't get a Friday or Monday build.... I really don't like thru-rivets, but would feel better if that "piece" was more than just fiberglassed.. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Here is a mod made to a friend's Scamp 16. It moved the supports out of the way for easy access to the bottom bunk.
I believe the upper bunk has been used to support an adult sleeping on it for a couple of seasons now with no problems reported. He also built an ingenious fold up ladder.
These are the only two pics I have...
Attached Thumbnails
3668245209_fd10187296.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here is a mod made to a friend's Scamp 16. It moved the supports out of the way for easy access to the bottom bunk.
I did something similiar, much uglier but also a lot beefier. I made it so the front bunk can be left set up all the time thus allowing the bottom bunk area (sans cushions) to be ustilized for storage. It works well for my daughter and I as I also leave the rear dinette set up as my bed.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I did something similiar, much uglier but also a lot beefier. I made it so the front bunk can be left set up all the time thus allowing the bottom bunk area (sans cushions) to be ustilized for storage. It works well for my daughter and I as I also leave the rear dinette set up as my bed.
Being empty nesters we find the front couch or bunk gets used for storage more than anything else. Suitcases and such. One nice thing is with the top bunk up the items stored on bottom bunk are less visible from outside. Camera bag, laptop, etc. out of sight is the benefit.

I think one problem (for older campers) is that the fiberglass on the wood can hold things together even after it is structurally unsound from the wood rotting. Top bunk still "works" but would not support any real weight. My first clue only came about because I set two suitcases on the same half and happened to notice a small amount of dip taking place on the back. If there had been bedding on it I would have never have noticed.

As Donna noted there are no visible fasteners that one can see are failing. Need to have the bunk up and get under it to inspect.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #23

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I have a 2012 Scamp 13 Deluxe with the front bunks so it's definitely an easy option to order. My girls are 5ft 100 lbs and 5ft 2in 104 lbs. (she's 18 so never going to get too tall for the bunks lol). Scamp factory said there is no problem with either of them sleeping on the top bunk with plenty of safety margin left over. It indeed seems very stable when one of them is on it. No give, sag etc. I echo the sentiment of checking a used trailer over very closely before putting any weight up there.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The little board the top bunk hinges are screwed to was a little "punky" (rotten or seperated) a couple of places along its' length in my Scamp. But it came from two causes. In the center it was from a leak in the window seal above (since fixed). It was also pretty loose where the hinges attached but since I had the bunk out anyway installing a new cover I just moved the hinges over a little to get fresh wood for the screws to bite into. I used one size larger screws also, it is plenty secure for my little princess. In fact, I have seen TWO little princesses (10 & 11 yrs old) sitting up there playing cards (in my driveway). The little Scamp makes a grand playhouse!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good to know Melissa. I'll put the limit at 100 lbs. I like those real world tests. Thx

Tom
Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #26

Name: Shawn
Trailer: In market for scamp 13
Nebraska
The sofa/ bunk bed won't be for me. Does the front table area on a 13' turn into a stable bed for an adult?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Unfortunately not. I'm assuming you mean the deluxe version front dinette. It does not span the full width of the trailer, as there's a cabinet on the streetside end. It's only long enough for a child.

What many have done is to remove the top bunk from the sofa/bunk layout, cut out the center of the sofa, and turn it into a full-width convertible dinette. There's a natural footwell there, intended for porta-potty storage. It's not uncommon to find a used one for sale that has had that mod done (probably not a deluxe, though). I'd hate to do that to a brand-new unit, though!

Lots of discussion about why Scamp doesn't offer this from the factory, but the fact remains- they don't.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #28

Arizona
Registry
I know you are looking mainly at Scamps, but you might want to at least consider an Escape 13'. I saw one for sale recently that seemed to have what you're looking for: wood interior, full-width dinette in front that sleeps 1 adult, dinette in back that sleeps 2 adults. Escapes are nice trailers by most accounts.
Here's the ad:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-64868.html
Looks like it has been sold and, unfortunately, the 13'ers are, as the ad points out, rare.