13' Escape, No Longer Making? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I realize people comparison shop... and should. But it still boils down to an individual's personal preference and budget. You could have this exact same discussion about tug preferences. If all things were equal for towing ability there are those that would prefer a Cadillac Escalade over a Kia (anything).
You can put me down for a Cadillac Escalade! I won't be able to make the payments in this lifetime though.

I like to play "What if it were free?" You know, it would still be a difficult choice when it came right down to it because cost is not everything. Just so many other variables other than cost and always the choice to wait for "used" if you can't handle the expense of the new model. I love luxury cars and they are just as wonderful when they are used and last forever compared to the lower cost "throw away" cars.

Personal preferences are deeply ingrained, probably why they call them "personal"?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
You can put me down for a Cadillac Escalade! I won't be able to make the payments in this lifetime though.

I like to play "What if it were free?" You know, it would still be a difficult choice when it came right down to it because cost is not everything. Just so many other variables other than cost and always the choice to wait for "used" if you can't handle the expense of the new model. I love luxury cars and they are just as wonderful when they are used and last forever compared to the lower cost "throw away" cars.
?

Times 2! My views "egg -zactly"!!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup but the Escape is to many a nicer trailer and it doesn't have rivets....
Maybe to many, but to many more, the Scamp is a nicer trailer and doesn't have rottable glassed in attachment points. (Ever fixed one of those?)
Escape doesn't offer anything that compares to the Deluxe Scamp interior, which is screwed in, not riveted.
I would not trade my 8 year old Scamp Deluxe for a new Escape(which cannot be had comparably equipped)
Ever towed a Scamp? Nobody does that part better!

Escape is a nice trailer,but so is the Scamp which is the oldest manufacturer still in business and selling it's capacity.
That could explain why everybody wants to compare their value and build quality to the long term leader... Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love my Scamp Deluxe... love the one you're with. But, as soon as I can afford it, I'm buying an Escape 5th wheel. If there's a problem with glassed in attachment points, I'd think there are more serious issues elsewhere. And it's not like Scamp doesn't use fiberglass tabbing too, they do. The dinette area in the back and the piece against the front wall for the gaucho come to mind. So Floyd it can be an issue for any manufacturer who builds this way... it's a maintenance issue handled by judiciously checking for leaks. Comparing a Scamp to Escape, is still apples to oranges... both fruit from different trees.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post

Personal preferences are deeply ingrained, probably why they call them "personal"?
There really is no substantial difference today between any luxury car and it's cheaper counterpart. They are all just styrofoam and plastic shadows of the repairable cars of days gone by. It has been more than 50 years since there was any real mechanical advantage to luxury cars.
The difference today comes down to fabrics and trinkets.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love my Scamp Deluxe... love the one you're with. But, as soon as I can afford it, I'm buying an Escape 5th wheel. If there's a problem with glassed in attachment points, I'd think there are more serious issues elsewhere. And it's not like Scamp doesn't use fiberglass tabbing too, they do. The dinette area in the back and the piece against the front wall for the gaucho come to mind. So Floyd it can be an issue for any manufacturer who builds this way... it's a maintenance issue handled by judiciously checking for leaks. Comparing a Scamp to Escape, is still apples to oranges... both fruit from different trees.
That was my point all along, the glassed in attachment points are no more or less a problem than rivets.
As far as I'm concerned you are right... "it's a maintenance issue"...which totally pales in both cases to the vanishing point in comparison to those issues with real merit!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #47

I have a 1995 Lincoln Continental, our newer car, and the ride, comfort, beauty and reliability out did a Honda Accord and a Nissan Sentra and this Lincoln cost $5500 5 years ago and has needed very little maintenance. Our old vehicle is a 1993 Ford Club Wagon (purchased in 1997 for $14,000) going strong. Because we don't travel a lot of miles, the price of gas makes almost no difference. I would never buy a brand new vehicle!

Now, I could buy a new stick-built small trailer for about 1/2 what I could a fiberglass trailer and I have two dealers of those within probably 60 miles but they fall apart and I learned this the hard way. It did not take very long and two of them were new.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I can appreciate that its hard for those who haven't had the opportunity to spend time with an Escape to understand the difference between it and Scamp.

Like Floyd I love my Scamp but if someone was to offer to trade me it for an Escape I would do it in a New York minute! Not that I have any delusions about that ever happening - even though my 16' Scamp is still a pretty rare item here in BC and no matter how many beers I feed the Escape owner while I try and negotiate that trade. Don't ask me how I know that! LOL

IMHO it is as suggested very much like comparing applies to oranges.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
Floyd:

Vehicles are quite a different topic, and perhaps don't belong in this thread.

There is a lot more variety in vehicles than there is in trailers, and a lot more objective information, since there are lots of reviews and evaluations, and independent publications such as Consumers Reports. From what I've read
1. the general quality of vehicles has improved over time
2. there are significant differences in reliability between different vehicles

For example, the Cadillac Escalade, despite how much some people may like it, was rated at the bottom of the Luxury SUV category in the April 2011 Consumers Report. This illustrates Donna's point about personal preference being significant in many decisions. I hope this doesn't start a war!

Brian
Considering the further content of your post, it would seem that you don't really subscribe to the first sentence!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I can appreciate that its hard for those who haven't had the opportunity to spend time with an Escape to understand the difference between it and Scamp.

Like Floyd I love my Scamp but if someone was to offer to trade me it for an Escape I would do it in a New York minute! Not that I have any delusions about that ever happening - even though my 16' Scamp is still a pretty rare item here in BC and no matter how many beers I feed the Escape owner while I try and negotiate that trade. Don't ask me how I know that! LOL

IMHO it is as suggested very much like comparing applies to oranges.
I owned a Trillium and have visited several Escapes, so it's not entirely ignorance which lead to my conclusions. The Escape is a nice trailer, heck, remember we're talking about molded fiberglass trailers, overall a clearly superior category.
More like comparing tangerines, nectarines, oranges, uglifruit and grapefruit!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #51

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL wasnt actually thinking of you Floyd when I said that.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #52

I did contact Escape and learned that this 13' was a special order as the people got a different tow vehicle and decided they wanted the 15'. While it has some optional features, it does not have a bathroom. They wrote an interesting email about the decline of sales on the 13' and the 15's popularity which I can surely understand - I like that little bite of extra counter space!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #53

Over the years the honesty has always impressed me with Escape. They tell you about sales, taken the time to post every detail we ask about how they are made. Share construction detail photos. No secrets with the business nor their product.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #54

I wanted to share with all of you, the information that Escape emailed to me regarding the 13':
"We used to offer two floor plans in the 13’ Escape trailer, Plan A and Plan B however, when we introduced the 15’ Escape, Plan B we found many people changed their order from a 13’, Plan B to the 15’ Plan B. The additional length in the 15’ Escape, allowed us to install a full wet bath rather than just a toilet which included the hot water tank, grey tank, etc. as well as increased the bed size, and a few other comforts from the 17’ Escape.

The cost of labour and difference in materials made the price for the 15’ and the 13’ very comparable and when the 15’ went to market it was only $1,000.00 more than the 13’. We saw the demand for the 13’ Escape drop to the point that we were only asked to make three or four units a year and the 15’ Escape orders increased. As a small manufacturer we are limited in the number of units we can produce a year and with the recession at that time we made the decision to manufacture the 13’ Escape by request only."

If anyone would want more info about the 13' that is for sale on their page, I do have some info on it that they emailed me. I greatly appreciated the time and effort they took to answer my email in such detail.

Tags
escape