13 footer Isle Size - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Hi, I am wondering how the 13 foot eggs are oriented as far as the isle. Is there a step up to the dinette or is it flat from front to back? How wide is the isle? The reason I ask is occasionally we want to bring my 7 yr old nephew with us and I'm wondering if he would fit on a foam pad in the isle with his legs under the dinette.

Melissa

Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
13' scamp has a step up under the table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scampafter3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	25556

Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
The uhaul does not have a step. I often wonder why some others have a step.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
No step on a Burro either.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Florida
Maybe someone in the know can post what purpose the step up in the Scamp serves.

Quote:
The uhaul does not have a step. I often wonder why some others have a step.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Maybe someone in the know can post what purpose the step up in the Scamp serves.
In my 1988 Scamp, the gray water tank is located under the floor back there. That prevents it from hanging down too low. It's funny tho, I never noticed it as being a problem. Of course, no one is trying to sleep with their legs in the area.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #7

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
The 13' Boler/clones all have a "step" as far as I know. Actually, it's not really a step, so much as it is that the center area of the floor is recessed into the frame, and the front, sides, and rear are at "normal" level on top of the frame.

What they have done is drop the middle of the floor to get more headroom without making the overall trailer taller. They were able to do that in the center of the frame where there is space.

So, if you look closely, the dinette, the space inside the closet, the area under the kitchen, and the area under the front bench are all higher than the middle of the floor where the recessed area is. Note that the recess also extends to the door so that you can walk in without having to immediately step down. There is a special cut in the frame for this function.

Most (all?) Scamps, and most Bolers after about 1975 (or so) also have an extra recessed portion in the form of a square box welded in under the front sofa. This makes the "Porta Potti" cutout.

In contrast, Cloud/clones (Burro, U-haul) have the entire floor area on top of the frame, with no recess. The overall trailer is thus taller, but the floor is all on one level.

Compact Jr./clones also have a one-level floor.

I think you might be able to have a sleeping person lie on the floor in a Boler/clone that has the Porta-Potti cutout, if their legs extended into it - although of course then you would have to find space for whatever you had stored in there.

But.... would this be a 5th person? Or are you planning to only look for a 13-er with a bathroom? Because the usual layout already does allow for four people to sleep (assuming an 80# or smaller person on the upper bunk).

Raya
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #8

Florida
Raya,

Thank for your that EXCELLENT explanation as to the purpose behind the recessed floors as well as which models do or do not have it. It also explains the height difference in the various eggs which is so important when trying to make sure it fits in the garage.
Quote:
But.... would this be a 5th person? Or are you planning to only look for a 13-er with a bathroom? Because the usual layout already does allow for four people to sleep (assuming an 80# or smaller person on the upper bunk).

Raya
Yes, it would be a 5 person (child). We sometimes take my nephew for a bit when his Dad is doing a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan. It helps to give Mom a break. She has enough to deal with when Dad is gone. The sleeping arrangements would only be necessary for the trip to pick him up and take him home. Any actual camping would be done in our Popup which sleeps 6.

Thanks again for the detailed post.

Melissa
Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't know how big this child is but the main floor space measures 42" from the front bench back to the step up.

I measured diagonal with the childs head near the kitchen cabinet and feet towards the entry door, that would be roughly 60" in my 13' Scamp.

Having a small child on the floor wouldn't be much different than my big living room at Thanksgiving. Wall to wall people of all sizes.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Joy,

What would the measurement be if you had the person's head by the dinette step up and then their feet extended into the porta-pottie nook? I'm thinking you might get up close to 65"?

Sideways with feet by the door was a good idea, at 60".

I find that having about 10" of "pillow space" is nice, but of course not necessary.

Slumber party!

Raya
Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #11

Florida
Great info guys, thanks! The child right now is about 42" tall. It sounds like sideways may work out the best.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Take a small tent along for the kids, (or for the adults, if you prefer).