13' Scamp for family of 4? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
13' Scamp for family of 4?

Hi, I had posted a while ago I was looking at a 19' Scamp, but after looking at the price of gas/cost of commuting with a truck, my wife and I are thinking the 13' Scamp would be a good option, and we would tow it with our Toyota rav4 (4 cyl). Thinking I'd pick up a cassette toilet for my girls for the evenings. Was wondering if any of you folks use a 13' scamp for a family of 4. I know Eric W. does, but I'd love to hear from others too.

have a great one,

jared
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
There are people who do it - but it doesn't appeal to me. Having to take turns moving would get me aggravated in short order.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Works for Us!

We have two girls, ages 8 and 11, so we are four, and we love our 13' Scamp. I think a lot depends on how and where you will use the trailer. We destination camp in temperate seasons when significant rain is not in the forecast, usually 3-5 days at a time. We spend most of our time outside, including cooking and eating, so inconveniences because of the trailer's small size are minimized. (One is having to change clothes in shifts.)

However, if your plans include much camping in inclement weather, a lot of cooking and eating inside, or traveling for extended time frames, you may find the trailer shrinking as the days pass!

I also think you might want to consider whether your 4 cyl. RAV-4 will be adequate by the time you load up with passengers, food & clothes for four, etc. Even our 6 cyl. Pilot strains a bit going up long grades. Post #267 in the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" has a link to a spreadsheet that has some helpful data, if you haven't already seen it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We just returned from a 4000 mile trip over 10 days with the 4 of us in a 13' Scamp. It worked out very well. The comments about inclement weather and extended trips are correct but we take off and do some shopping or other inside activities. We have done a few weeks and more miles but there are limits to everything.

I would just check what your vehicle is rated for and use that. We tow with a 3.5 V6 and it works out well.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp