13' Scamp Ordered - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
13' Scamp Ordered

Finally with the help from all of you(thanks for all the replies to my questions), we have ordered our 13' Scamp. Got the call from the production manager confirming the features. The only decision now is, whether to go pick it up or let them deliver it to Virginia the week of Thanksgiving.

Thank you all again.
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Congratulations - great news!!

Tough decision about delivery or factory pick-up… It'd be cool to see the factory, but it'll be cool… make that cold … in Minnesota. Pity they can't deliver it the week before Thanksgiving, and then you could give it a trial run during the holiday… in Florida, perhaps!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We picked our scamp up in Backus Mn. It was fun but it was also hard, being new and never driven a tow before. We were ill prepared and had to much stuff with us. We hit a lot of rain which kept us inside and it was hard to spread out and get organized. Money wise, well by the time you count gas hotels meals =2 old people who don`t drive long hours so more stops and money then a younger set. If i had to do it over i would opt for delivery. Also your delivery time can be a little on the snowy time. But then again i had a learning experience and that is hard to beat. Good luck, whatever you decide. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't know how Scamp deals with owner orientations.. I bought my Scamp used, but I went through about a two-hour orientation at Escape when I picked up my 5.0TA. ETI wanted to make certain I knew how everything worked. So, would the delivery driver give you that information or just drop the trailer and run and hope you can understand all the manuals?

I can't answer for you, that's a level of comfort you need to decide for yourself. But if time isn't a huge concern, I'd want to pickup my new trailer at the factory. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #5

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
[QUOTE=Donna D.;487698]I don't know how Scamp deals with owner orientations.. I bought my Scamp used, but I went through about a two-hour orientation at Escape when I picked up my 5.0TA. ETI wanted to make certain I knew how everything worked. So, would the delivery driver give you that information or just drop the trailer and run and hope you can understand all the manuals?

I can't answer for you, that's a level of comfort you need to decide for yourself. But if time isn't a huge concern, I'd want to pickup my new trailer at the factory. YMMV[/QUO

Donna D., very good point. My Scamp 16 is on order for spring 2015. As a senior I too would have to make more frequent stops as did Carl. I've also considered delivery in lieu of towing home. I think, as you say, it is worth the trip to the factory to get a complete orientation on the trailer.
CW
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
if orientation is an issue, go to Scamp's website and look at the videos.
there are many videos which are designed to show everything from towing to awning deployment, to operating accessories and setting up camp.

Helpful Videos - Scamp Trailers
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I ended up buying a used Scamp but there was a time i was considering buying new and was in contact with factory. Here's an idea for you: I didn't want to drive all the way to Backus, but didn't want to pay the full delivery to my home either. Scamp has a delivery zone map from their factory and each zone corresponds to a certain fee. I live in NY but realized if I was willing to drive a few hundred nukes to Ohio, I could save hundreds on my delivery, and so on. Check into this and maybe you can strike a good balance. Scamp said they would have been happy to meet me in a walmart parking lot in Ohio or wherever I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
...realized if I was willing to drive a few hundred nukes to Ohio, I could save hundreds on my delivery...

Didn't realize Scamp now accepts WMDs as payment! And they always seemed such peace-loving folks... And speaking of which, what are you doing with a few hundred nukes? LOL!

BTW - auto-spell on my iPhone didn't like "nukes" and tried to change it to "miles." Go figure!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
The orientation i received was about 20 min and some of that time was used in hooking me up and they charged me 40 dollars because the connection wire plug was a tinge shy on the trailer and they had to replace it with another wire of which is to long and i have to coil it up. I did not come with a TV from mars they should give ample wire for length differences. So going there was not an advantage to me, I thought to, that the company would explain things better then a driver. In fairness they said the person who does this was out today. Oh well its done. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp Ordered

I agree with Carl and Floyd.

Personally, I'd do the math and include Wendy's idea in the mix. Remember to account for reduced fuel mileage with the trailer in tow and the likelihood you will have to stay in motels both directions because of the season.

Unless there is a really substantial savings in going to MN yourself, I'd have them deliver. Driving all those miles, pulling a trailer, very possibly in bad weather, and not being able to camp on the way... not much point, really, unless you are being paid pretty well to do it.

Armed with manuals and on-line video tutorials, I really think you can figure things out. People do it with used trailers all the time. Then I'd take it south, not north, for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #11

New York
Registry
Sorry. Meant miles. Hope that it was still understandable in context.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Wendy, I'm sure we all knew perfectly what you meant. I'm also sure most of us have dealt with the frustrations of auto-spell. Just found this one amusing. Hope I didn't cause offense, as none was intended.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Of course not Jon. I laughed about it! Just didn't want anybody to be offended over my poor editing checks after the phone turns my typing into some new language!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had a dvd that a PO of a Scamp took during his orientation at the factory. It was certainly not what I would call an indepth orientation. It was extremely basic and mainly consisted of the new owner excitedly asking questions and the Scamp employee giving one word answers that didn't answer the question.
It was quite humorous but sad as you could see the new owner's excitement and it wasn't shared!
Of course some orientations may be better than others.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Of course not Jon. I laughed about it! Just didn't want anybody to be offended over my poor editing checks after the phone turns my typing into some new language! Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I am glad y'all explained that. I thought "nukes" was the new cool-kid slang for "miles" and I had not heard it yet. Kind of scary that the machine thinks it knows more than you!

Personally, I would want to pick my new baby up, but this is about getting to be a poor time of year to be go to Minnesota. The meeting somebody along the way thing option is pretty interesting. After all, there is not much the factory intro is going to tell you that somebody here could not answer.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
...Kind of scary that the machine thinks it knows more than you!
Given that both Wendy & I were posting from iPhones, what's even stranger is that my iPhone knew what she was thinking! Did a double-take when I carefully typed "nukes" and it instantly changed to "miles." The words aren't even close! Steve Jobs reading our minds from the grave? It's a Brave New World!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A couple of points/opinions on delivery... First of all...CONGRATS... buying new if fun!

We picked our new Scamp up in April 2010. But I monitored the weather closely. Up there, the weather can change pretty quick. I only have a 4cyl 2wd Frontier and did NOT want to get caught in some unpredictable weather. Our trip was fine and the wifey got to visit MOA!! (Mall Of America).

As far as orientation, ours was some lil old man and it was a JOKE! You will hear this from many who visited Scamp during my time frame. Hopefully he's not there anymore as it was VERY rushed and disappointing. He simply wanted to get us out of there-- our first-ever RV and 1250 miles from home! So the maybe, IF they deliver it, you have them cornered on YOUR territory and can look it over and try things out to a degree before they depart. Dunno...just a thought.

Here's another side of the story I just read (but remember, you're PAYING for this service). I read on Oliver's site how THEY do a new owner. They walk you through the trailer and make sure you know everything you need to know and are comfortable with it. Then they PAY for a night of camping in a nearby campground. That way, if you have questions/problems, they give you a courtesy call the next morning anyway, so they can send someone out to address it! I know I know...they're expensive, but WOW on that service when you're buying a new rv!! Hard to believe but here it is for you to read:
Oliver Delivery - Oliver Travel Trailers » Oliver Travel Trailers
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #18

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Pick up

I'm with CarlPa on this. I live in Ohio on the border of Pa. Its about 970 miles to Backus. Simple math at 16 miles to the gallon last year at the time I got mine in September $3.50+/gl. adding a motel or two and the turnpike fees up and back as well as third axle fees though Chicago I asked Scamp if I could meet them in the parking lot of Cabela's in Dundee Mi. They did and I drove 3 hours there and spent time in the store till the driver showed up. He went over all the information and paper work. I'm not as young and adventurous as I once was.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A kind of counterpoint...
I have bought 6 houses and eighty-some vehicles and have never received an "orientation" on any of them, but then I like to have all my research done before I write the check!
I enjoyed my pre-delivery "inspection" at Scamp, nice folks and good conversation. It was on a Saturday (with special permission at the time)

We not only picked up our Scamp at the factory, but we made a total of three trips to Backus in the buying process for a total of 3600 miles...
1] To meet the people, visit the factory, and study the product.
2] To make the purchase.
3] To take delivery.

I advise newbies to visit a ScampCamp ASAP after purchase for a great learning experience, Or stop by our place, if its on your way home, as several buyers have done both before and after purchase.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #20

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Thanks all for the replies. I think we are going to just get it shipped. We have never seen a scamp in person. The factory gave us a contact but after leaving 2 voicemails we gave up. So the first, we will see a scamp will be when we receive ours. I did get the manual from scamp to read, before it arrives.

reachg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp