13' Scamp vs. 13' Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13' and 1974 Airstream Landyacht 25', previously owned 1979 Trillium 4500 15'
North Carolina
13' Scamp vs. 13' Trillium

Hello everyone! This may open up a big discussion (no arguing hehe) but I have to ask...which is the better camper. I recently purchased (several weeks ago) a 1977 Scamp 13' but previously owned a 1979 Trillium 4500 15'. Both were/are in good condition. I know that I like the size of the 13 footers but honestly I think I may have liked the overall construction of the Trillium better. What do you guys think? Thanks! Mike
ncrrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trilliums Rock!

Actually, it really boils down to preference.
On Trilliums, I like:
The large windows
The rock guard / awning
The more square shape / interior volume
The Logo

I am sure that Scamp owners have just as many things that they prefer about their trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrrover View Post
Hello everyone! This may open up a big discussion (no arguing hehe) but I have to ask...which is the better camper. I recently purchased (several weeks ago) a 1977 Scamp 13' but previously owned a 1979 Trillium 1500 15'. Both were/are in good condition. I know that I like the size of the 13 footers but honestly I think I may have liked the overall construction of the Trillium better. What do you guys think? Thanks! Mike
I too have owned both. My final choice is a 13Scamp Deluxe.
The Trillium is a well made trailer which, due it's shape, gives a roomier impression on the inside. It is comfortable and reliable.
The Trillium has what I would call an "Odie complex". Steps must be made to curb it's overzealous road manners. It is prone to moderate sway and behaves like an enthusiastic puppy while being towed. Also, due to it's shape, the Trillum tends to require more power to tow and yields lower fuel economy as a result.
If you wish to do a rehab on an older Trillium you will find it easier to remove from the frame, being connected much the same way as prewar cars.
Scamp has a well deserved reputation for building great value and quality into it's trailers. The 13 has been in production for 43 years and many Scamp trailers from the '70s are still in service. Rehab on on the frame or floor of a Scamp can be more difficult than the Trillium but frame off work is far less often needed on any Flberglass trailer than some discussions imply, especially if properly maintained.
My Scamp is the most stable and efficient trailer I have ever towed.
It has all the comforts of home in a smaller package.
The Deluxe interior is beautiful, and gives the feeling of luxury.
The design of the 13 Scamp is brilliant and efficient both inside and out.
All molded fiberglass trailers are great and it is an accomplishment to stand out in such company for more than 4 decades.
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm a little confused over Mike's question. Is he asking about a 13' 1300 or 15' 4500?

Structurally I prefer the Trillium and it's descendants over the boler and it's descendants. To add to Dave's comments for the Trillium, the frame is not chopped at the door. The way the fiberglass components are designed and joined make for a "stronger" structure. Yet as we can see from Phil4500's tangle with a transport truck it can be much more difficult to repair. I didn't know that then, but clearly see it now.

Floyd does make some valid points. I'm wondering if the towing comments might be related to an old axle on the Trillium?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrrover View Post
This may open up a big discussion (no arguing hehe) but I have to ask...which is the better camper.
Oh yes it will indeed! You know it always better to love the one your with!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm a little confused over Mike's question. Is he asking about a 13' 1300 or 15' 4500?

Floyd does make some valid points. I'm wondering if the towing comments might be related to an old axle on the Trillium?
Many of the Scamp 13s and the simlar LoveBug which I have retrieved for rehab were over thirty years old with clearly apparent original axles and still showed the inherent tow characteristics which makes them so pleasant.

The answer to your speculation is that my Trillium was well restored with a good axle and new tires. I am not saying that the Trillium was by any means terrible, in fact,like a rolled-up newspaper, the addition of a friction anti-sway bar mitigated the characteristics (described above) enough to teach it to heel.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have never towed a Scamp, but I found my Trillium 4500 (15') very easy to tow. No sway at all, (until we nearly lost a wheel, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-53227.html ).
I don't have much experience towing. I did not pay much attention to the tongue weight. With the cargo carrier on the back of the trailer, we had only about 40 Kg on the tongue when the trailer was loaded up to 1200 kg. I only found out because we stopped in at a closed truck stop before we hit the Coquihalla. The trailer had been riding strange. It felt like the hitch was being jerked up and down. It felt really weird, but no sway. I filled every water container we had and I loaded up the gaucho. I got the tongue weight to 90 kg and it felt way better.
Floyd, is it possible that there was something wrong with your Trillium?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have never towed a Scamp, but I found my Trillium 4500 (15') very easy to tow...
Floyd, is it possible that there was something wrong with your Trillium?
It may be sad to say, but all fiberglass trailers are not created equal.
I have owned and towed a couple dozen of these things of various brands. Each has it's own build characteristics.
The Scamp 13 is unsurpassed in towability and handling.
There are (of course)other characteristics in which other trailers excell.
As I said... The Trillium(1300) is by no means terrible.
I am confident that the Trillum 4500 will not handle exactly like a Trillium 1300, just as I know a Scamp 16 does not handle exactly like a Scamp 13.

Think of it like this...
A stock 1989 Camry simply will not handle as well as a stock M3 of the same year.
The former is adequate, the latter superb.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
No brainer. Whichever one you can get title to and take camping! So if you have one of each, and are giving them away, but I can only pick one.... hmmm I say whichever one my wife likes better.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Better... well, the one you (I, us) own of course! Truly, whichever is available within your budget and has the layout you desire. Everything else is gravy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Trillium has what I would call an "Odie complex". Steps must be made to curb it's overzealous road manners. It is prone to moderate sway and behaves like an enthusiastic puppy while being towed. Also, due to it's shape, the Trillum tends to require more power to tow and yields lower fuel economy as a result.

Did he call my trailer a dog?

I looked at both. The Trillium windows were the selling point. No one else had opening windows on all four sides. There was no 15 ft. when we bought or I would have bought it for the larger bed. The Scamp is easier to do major repairs because of the rivets and I like the rat fur. It also has great customer support and replacement parts that are readily available. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, trillium