13' trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Burro
Mississippi
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a 13' fiberglass trailer without toilet/shower in very good condition, preferably with a double-panel shell like the Burro or U-Haul. I really like the 14' Burro widebody. Are there others out there with a double-panel shell? Any other thoughts to share with a newcomer that would be helpful? Many thanks.

Rich
Rich Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since Burro and U-Haul have been out of business, or out of the trailer business for a very long time you are really restricting yourself. And the 14 foot widebody Burro is an even more elusive animal. Did you see the listing of trailers on the home page, lots of 13 footers built. If desiring a trailer, make yourself a list of what you absolutely must have, would like to have, overall condition (would you be willing to replace the refrigerator, for instance?), how much you want to spend and how far afield you're willing to drive to buy it. We're getting ready to go into camping season and pricing is going to start rising for "ready-to-camp" trailers. When you find one that suites your needs, be prepared to jump on it. You snooze, you lose.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

Trailer: R-Vision
I think the Egg camper is a double wall.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #4

Quote:
I think the Egg camper is a double wall.
Yes, the EggCamper is double-hull, but they don't build 13 footers.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #5

Bit of a trip, but have you considered bidding on Joe's Contempo Condo??

1980 12' Contempo "Condo" Rare and IMACULATE **MINT**, Located in San Diego, CA
Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
I think Casita, Scamp and Escape all make 13 foot trailers. Scamp has been making them for some time, so there should be some on the market. Escape is fairly new in that size. Don't know about Casita.

Brian
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #7

Mississippi
Quote:
Bit of a trip, but have you considered bidding on Joe's Contempo Condo??

1980 12' Contempo "Condo" Rare and IMACULATE **MINT**, Located in San Diego, CA
Yup, I'm looking carefully at the Contempo. Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I think Casita, Scamp and Escape all make 13 foot trailers. Scamp has been making them for some time, so there should be some on the market. Escape is fairly new in that size. Don't know about Casita.
True, but the Casita, Scamp, and Escape do not have a fiberglass liner like the Burro and U-haul do.

Rich, one other thought: Is it that you want the fiberglass liner for sure? Or is it that you don't like carpet or "fur" walls? I'm in the latter camp, and so I was looking for a Boler 13, an older Scamp 13 (not sure exactly when they went to fur, maybe '82 or so?), or an original Trillium. All three of the ones I mentioned used Ensolite on the walls.

While Ensolite is not hard, like fiberglass, it is also not furry like carpet. You can wipe it, wash it, and even paint it. I like that ability, and while I would not rule out a trailer with a fiberglass liner (they are nice), I also do like that there is not a hidden area between the liner and the shell to accumulate.... whatever. (The Ensolite is glued right to the shell, whereas the fiberglass liners have a gap - sometimes filled with insulation (some Burros) and sometimes not (some Burros and all U-hauls).

I'm not trying to change your mind, as to each their own. And I like either Ensolite or a fiberglass liner. But not knowing why you prefer the fiberglass liner, I just thought I would mention the Ensolite since that would expand your options.

Raya

PS: Burros and U-hauls are called "double hull," but to my mind it is actually more of a molded fiberglass liner. (Not that there's anything wrong with that; in fact it is a nice idea.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Rich, I think like Donna said you may be restricting yourself. I understand wanting a certain "brand" but when the brand is not being produced currently your looking at a "rare" factor........ Not that they don't come up for sale, but few and far between. Not that you have to "settle" for something that doesn't meet your camping "wants" but maybe expanding your "wants" would help you find a in good condition glass trailer.. Also taking into consideration how far you willing to travel to pick up your dream trailer, cause as sure as you find the (one) it will be across the country...... (Murphys Law) LOL...........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
cause as sure as you find the (one) it will be across the country...... (Murphys Law) LOL...........
You know, we need to come up with a system to counteract that. Someone on the east coast could team up with a west-coaster, then they both hunt for trailers, and when they find them (cross country of course), they switch!

(I know, I know, then they would all be in Nebraska.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Any other thoughts to share with a newcomer that would be helpful?
1. Know what your budget is

2. Determine you wants and needs.
<blockquote>a. How many to sleep
b. type of camping
c. Season of Camping
d. layout
e. Tow vehicle capacities
f. storage availability
g. distance from home
h. etc.

</blockquote>Then go out and start hunting. Check out a few Trailer meets, almost everyone is willing to show off their trailer.

Keep yours eyes open for the right one, at the right time and right place. Eventually it will show up.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #12

Mississippi
Quote:
True, but the Casita, Scamp, and Escape do not have a fiberglass liner like the Burro and U-haul do.

Rich, one other thought: Is it that you want the fiberglass liner for sure? Or is it that you don't like carpet or "fur" walls? I'm in the latter camp, and so I was looking for a Boler 13, an older Scamp 13 (not sure exactly when they went to fur, maybe '82 or so?), or an original Trillium. All three of the ones I mentioned used Ensolite on the walls.

While Ensolite is not hard, like fiberglass, it is also not furry like carpet. You can wipe it, wash it, and even paint it. I like that ability, and while I would not rule out a trailer with a fiberglass liner (they are nice), I also do like that there is not a hidden area between the liner and the shell to accumulate.... whatever. (The Ensolite is glued right to the shell, whereas the fiberglass liners have a gap - sometimes filled with insulation (some Burros) and sometimes not (some Burros and all U-hauls).

I'm not trying to change your mind, as to each their own. And I like either Ensolite or a fiberglass liner. But not knowing why you prefer the fiberglass liner, I just thought I would mention the Ensolite since that would expand your options.

Raya

PS: Burros and U-hauls are called "double hull," but to my mind it is actually more of a molded fiberglass liner. (Not that there's anything wrong with that; in fact it is a nice idea.)
Raya,

Thank you so very much. You hit the nail on the head. It is the carpet-like liner that I am trying to avoid because of potential odor retention and difficulty to clean. Sounds like Ensolite opens up more options for me.. Great.

Rich
Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Thank you so very much. You hit the nail on the head. It is the carpet-like liner that I am trying to avoid because of potential odor retention and difficulty to clean. Sounds like Ensolite opens up more options for me.. Great.

Rich
What odor retention? That is a missconception.
Any trailer will retain oders if not kept clean and well aired. Our Boler is 26 years old, we've had it for 16, and still smells like spring inside. No, I can't wash the walls. I do use my shopvac on it a couple of times a year and carpet cleaner does a good job on accidental spills. The carpeting is a better sound deadener and we think that it has a better insulating quality. We have no mold or mildew problems and the inside walls don't sweat. Most bad smells will come from food oders, left over garbage, unwashed bedding, old clothing, whatever that thing was that was left in the fridge, and other things left inside when the trailer is not being used. Adding a screen door to allow more ventilation has been a big help and having a wife who likes things neat-n-tidy goes a long way too. {No, you're not bringing those smelly fish in here!}

Click image for larger version

Name:	1434.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	27376
Attached Thumbnails
199__640x480_.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree with James, What odors? Granted if your cooking smelly, greasey food inside than yes I would assume that the carpet would hold the odors. But I do not. And I have to be honest, I hate carpet! The word hate doesn't even begin to explain how much I dislike carpet.......................... We have very little carpet in our home, bedrooms only. We have went with other floor coverings and believe me if I could get everyone on board with no carpet underfoot anywhere I would. So when buying the Casita I was worried about all that carpet. But I needed a newer trailer and the Casita was the option available. I clean the carpet once every spring and vacuum several times thru out the camping season. Not that we get it really dirty (don't walk on the walls and ceiling) so I have found the carpet not as bothersome as I assumed it would be. Would I love to be able to run a cleaning cloth over the walls and ceiling to keep it clean, sure (I am a clean freak) but honestly the carpet on the walls and ceiling is not as bad as it's made out to be. Now floor carpet, that's a whole other topic......... Shoot the desinger who came up with that stupid idea!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #15

Mississippi
[quote]What odor retention? That is a missconception.
Any trailer will retain oders if not kept clean and well aired. Our Boler is 26 years old, we've had it for 16, and still smells like spring inside. No, I can't wash the walls. I do use my shopvac on it a couple of times a year and carpet cleaner does a good job on accidental spills. The carpeting is a better sound deadener and we think that it has a better insulating quality. We have no mold or mildew problems and the inside walls don't sweat. Most bad smells will come from food oders, left over garbage, unwashed bedding, old clothing, whatever that thing was that was left in the fridge, and other things left inside when the trailer is not being used. Adding a screen door to allow more ventilation has been a big help and having a wife who likes things neat-n-tidy goes a long way too. {No, you're not bringing those smelly fish in here!}

Attachment 27376

Thanks James. I obviously have no first-hand experience and am just passing along things I have read. Your point is well taken.

Rich
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Rich,
If you find the right 13 footer that tinkles your fancy and your wallet, replacing the wall covering isn't that big of a deal, should you want to... Don't let the existing wall covering keep you from a score.

In other words, if you find one at the right price, customize the interior to meet your own tastes and concerns.

If you need help, the folks on this forum all full of great ideas on renovations.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Rich our first trailer was a older 13' Burro and I loved the smooth walls, like you, I don't care for the 'carpeted look' of many trailers. When we 'upgraded' we thought we'd only settle for a larger Burro but found a previously owned Escape. Though the walls are not hard fiberglass, they are smooth, white and no 'fuzz', and it has the same 'bright' feel as the Burro did. Now I know you won't find a 'used' small Escape because they only started making them! But do broadened your search.

I just posted a used 15' Trillium we saw today - I loved it! If I was looking for a smaller trailer right now I'd buy it! Light, smooth, cute, cozy. It's a long way from you, but if you check it out and talk to the owner and are interested we can go back up and do a thorough inside inspection to give you an idea of the condition, as I said in the post - it look in very good condition.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=39493&hl=

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #18

Mississippi
Quote:
Rich our first trailer was a older 13' Burro and I loved the smooth walls, like you, I don't care for the 'carpeted look' of many trailers. When we 'upgraded' we thought we'd only settle for a larger Burro but found a previously owned Escape. Though the walls are not hard fiberglass, they are smooth, white and no 'fuzz', and it has the same 'bright' feel as the Burro did. Now I know you won't find a 'used' small Escape because they only started making them! But do broadened your search.

I just posted a used 15' Trillium we saw today - I loved it! If I was looking for a smaller trailer right now I'd buy it! Light, smooth, cute, cozy. It's a long way from you, but if you check it out and talk to the owner and are interested we can go back up and do a thorough inside inspection to give you an idea of the condition, as I said in the post - it look in very good condition.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=39493&hl=
Thanks. I hadn't thought of the Trillium before. Rich
Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #19

Mississippi
Quote:
Rich,
If you find the right 13 footer that tinkles your fancy and your wallet, replacing the wall covering isn't that big of a deal, should you want to... Don't let the existing wall covering keep you from a score.

In other words, if you find one at the right price, customize the interior to meet your own tastes and concerns.

If you need help, the folks on this forum all full of great ideas on renovations.
Thanks Robert. Point well taken regarding the wall covering. Rich
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #20

Five things come to mind when you talk about odors in a trailer. One.. carpet on the floor, two.. cushions, three... rotten floor, four... poor black tank maintenace, five... germy gray water tank. I can't remember anyone ever saying the shell carpet, ratfur or marine headliner covering the interior was the culprit for odor. AND when speaking about mold problem in the interior it usually means elephant skin AKA ensolite. In all the years I've been reading fiberglass forums, there's only been 2-3 postings about removing carpet/ratfur/marine headliner due to problems with odor. But bunches about mold on ensolite. Now, we all know the mold was from a long term leak. Truly, I can honestly say Ratfur doesn't hold odor... but, I don't cook broccoli, fish or cauliflower in my trailer either