16' vs 13'/ bath or no - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Without a doubt if you never had your flushy you wouldn't miss it.
Especially if you never had to pee in the middle of the night.

Not sure why there is this lobby group for porta pottis or nothing at all. Yes, you can camp without a toilet and black tank, but it is a lot more convenient to have a toilet.

Suggest you remove the words "without a doubt" from your post. I've done without, and I prefer not to.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Especially if you never had to pee in the middle of the night.

Not sure why there is this lobby group for porta pottis or nothing at all. Yes, you can camp without a toilet and black tank, but it is a lot more convenient to have a toilet.

Suggest you remove the words "without a doubt" from your post. I've done without, and I prefer not to.
I can think of a lot of reasons to NOT have an on board potty, and no really good reasons to have one. Convenient is a relative term. Is it more convenient to repair stinky leaks, empty stinky black water tanks and clean the hose, remember to the chemicals in to keep the odder down, (it's still there just not as strong), can't use it when you run out water, requires an electric water pump which has to be maintained/replaced, shortens the time between battery recharges. Shall I go on?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Shall I go on?
Please do.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Climb over.

I agree each owner must develop their style, none are wrong if they meet your needs.

We resolve climb over by having the more frequent user sleep on the ourside. Our rule is no dogs for long distance travel solves that problem. As well, this outside sleeper is happy to move so the inside sleeper can get out on the actual rare occasion.

We put our bed up every morning, a really easy task for the outside sleeper. Our 'half table' really opens the trailer for daytime use and makes sitting easier.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I can think of a lot of reasons to NOT have an on board potty, and no really good reasons to have one.
Ah, there's the source of the problem: Byron, you appear to be unaware of the physical reality for many people which can require frequent or short-notice access to a toilet, or for any reason have some difficulty with public toilets. Please don't assume that everyone is as fortunate as you appear to be.

Every feature of a trailer adds some benefit and takes some maintenance. Getting the right balance requires a series of informed choices, which will vary between individual owners.

Can we stay with description of options, and explanation of the features (including required maintenance) of each? With opinions of course, but without judgement of other's preferences. That would assist the original poster's decision, rather than trying to make it for her.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Ah, there's the source of the problem: Byron, you appear to be unaware of the physical reality for many people which can require frequent or short-notice access to a toilet, or for any reason have some difficulty with public toilets. Please don't assume that everyone is as fortunate as you appear to be.

Every feature of a trailer adds some benefit and takes some maintenance. Getting the right balance requires a series of informed choices, which will vary between individual owners.

Can we stay with description of options, and explanation of the features (including required maintenance) of each? With opinions of course, but without judgement of other's preferences. That would assist the original poster's decision, rather than trying to make it for her.

Brian,
I don't believe I mentioned anybody but me. I'm certainly NOT making judgement on others preferences, however I feel the opposite has been done a few times.
I am simply pointing out, in my opinion, several reasons why I don't want an on-board toilet.
Of course physical disabilities do come into consideration, but in this case the face the OP questioned the need would seem to negate that consideration.

Furthermore I believe that a person needs to have full information before making a decision. All the maintenance needs are part of the equation. It appears that there are some that would only like their views heard. If I'm taken that way, I surely don't mean to imply that. What a horrible world it would be if everybody agreed and wanted exactly the same thing.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
[QUOTE=Mike Magee;411202]You already have the 13 (two 13s, wow) so I'd say, why not just finish one up for yourselves and use it for a trip or two. Then decide if you're happy or if you desire more space. The 13 will still bring a good amount on resale toward purchase of a 16. As mentioned, a 16 tows with nearly the same ease as a 13 due to the similar wind resistance.[QUOTE]

I think that Mike makes a great point. You can try it 'without flushie' right now and see how you feel. If you're feeling crowded and tired of the 'night time crawl over' you can resell it with ease, and move up to a 16. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
This 2nd Scamp I completly gutted! That's why I posted all the fiberglass pieces for sale
I have moved the kitchen to the front with side closets on the side. I wasw going to get a 3-way fridge, but went with a dorm 110 one, per Norms dicussion about stuff staying cold. I have a micro-wave and 2 drawers along with thefridge unde the counter between the closets. I am building the cabinetry now. I plan to have a shelve above the window between the 2 closets for more storage, I do not think I will enclose it
The sleeping is a U-shape, kinda like a V-berth on a sail boat. The closet by the door is removed. I plan to have storage above the rear and side windows. To replace the structual support since I removed the closet and metal bracing, I will have a arch piece of woodalong both sides of camper at the wheel wells. I have it on paper now and just begining to make bed and overheads, guess a picture when I am done would explain more.
Anyway this allow for us to have our heads kinda together with space, between to allow a person to get up! The dog I am sure will still be in the way. How do these furry creatures get us to completely adjust to its ways!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I've been camping for 40 years and never had inside facilities of any kind. Guess what, we've reached the point in our life that we miss having them. In fact, this is one of the reasons we are finally replacing our tent trailer of 18 years.

Yes there is more associated maintenance but I believe it's worth the effort and judging by the number of people that consider it a "must have" apparently they do to. It really depends on what you value.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Randy, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful folks on the forums.

I see you've got a Jayco. Are you shopping for an all molded towable?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #25

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Thanks Donna,

Yes, I'm absolutely looking for a molded fiberglass trailer. The durability of design is what initially attracted me to the idea but I'm also impressed with the level of user satisfaction. It seems regardless of manufacturer, people overwhelmingly love their trailers and that speaks volumes.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Randy: yes, most owners love their eggs. One can find exceptions in any group, of course. But overall, we are quite fond of molded FG.

Suger: the work you are doing with that interior sounds awesome! That is a major project, but it could pay off bigtime. Of course we'd really like to see pictures, if you get some time. Pics of the work in progress, then pics of the finished product. Others of us might be inspired to make similar mods.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I've been camping for 40 years and never had inside facilities of any kind. Guess what, we've reached the point in our life that we miss having them. In fact, this is one of the reasons we are finally replacing our tent trailer of 18 years.

Yes there is more associated maintenance but I believe it's worth the effort and judging by the number of people that consider it a "must have" apparently they do to. It really depends on what you value.
I hope you had a lot of great camping experiences in that 40 years and no matter what you chose it'll be right for you. After all that's what really matters.

Since you mentioned a bit of your camping experience I'd like to share my time frame too. The first camping trip I can remember was either 68 or 69 years ago and been out there ever since (there could have been some earlier). Until 7.5 years ago most of my camping was at least a mile away from the nearest road. Kind of hard to carry a "flushie" on your back.

On "flushies", for many of us guys our wives have something to say about it. For me even if I wanted a toilet in the trailer I would have one heck of a time trying convince my wife.

I hope you have many many more years of great camping. Fiberglass is the way to go and brands, options, matter less than you're happy with what you get.