17 Casita or 17 Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #15

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Just thought I might add a couple o' pennies worth. I maybe biased but I still think the Escape build quality is superior to most if not all new fiberglass units. Reace and Tammy will bend over backwards to add custom mods. They will also give good reason why one can't be done!!!
Casita won't even try!!!
I like the side bath vs. the front...and in our case the "U" shaped dinette/lounge and the front to back bed arrangement.
All this may change as we are going to try 3 adults for 1 week in the woods...should be interesting as my eldest daughter and I are like Perrier & olive oyl !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
view_from_here.jpg  

Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
another plus for the escape is a two year warranty.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Sean! IMHO having more windows seems to 'expand' the space inside our Eggs. We have a Scamp and won't be changing in the near future, but one thing we would not give up is that large front window! In the Casita (and Scamp) floor plans with the bath across the front, you lose the light and view from that big window. Just our experience.

In any event, good luck in choosing the 'just right for you' trailer and going CAMPING! L 'n D
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
It is hard to compare when we are most familiar with Escape. I think the basic features of both trailers are very standard, only lay out and service differs.

My husband is impressed by Escape because it is an excellent company to deal with, you can visit (which we recommend), ask all the questions you want, and get good helpful answers. It is a small, family business with high standards. There is a reason they offer a two year warranty, when you purchase a trailer from Tammy and Reace you are buying something they feel responsible for and they want you, as owners, to have a positive experience. We bought our Escape for the height, width, and quality. Though we bought from an owner, we had a lot of help from Reace and Tammy.

I've "toured" a few Casitas and they simply felt less 'open' to me compared to our Escape, maybe it's the lack of front window, maybe the carpeting on the walls makes it feel more enclosed than the smoother Escape walls, a matter of personal preference. Escapes are actually 17'8", body length 13'8", they look and feel bigger because they are. Although aesthetically, and as a former Burro owner, I like the roundedness of Casitas, etc. I really appreciate the rounded/square design of Escape, it contributes to the spaciousness inside, as well as adds more space in the beds. I do not think the aerodynamic difference is enough to affect gas mileage much, if at all. Trailer weight is likely more of a factor.

Escape makes 100 trailers a year, they are not into mass production, the custom care and attention to detail that goes into each trailer is something that shows immediately, but has even more value as a trailer 'ages'. Our 'used' 2005 feels like new, although the travel log that came in the previous owners notebook shows some long trips in the those years.

To reiterate what has been mentioned, custom features are a hallmark of Escape, Reace told us several stories of modifications owners wanted. Not only did he do them, but he thought they were great ideas! I think he likes the creativity and challenge of making a trailer a little different and unique for someone.

In response to Jane, EggCamper was also on our short list, for the spaciousness and double walled construction (like Burro) but not only did we not want to drive to Mich, we decided no back window was something that we couldn't fathom. We talked with several EggCamper owners who love their trailers, so it is obviously a matter of personal preference. As already mentioned, the front window is a plus in comparing the Escape to Casita.

Whatever you buy, you will enjoy it and have happy experiences in it!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
California
Sean-

Call Escape, make an appointment, drive to Chilliwack and take a lengthy tour of a 17. Tammy and Reace are very accomodating, and I'm sure you can get many of your questions answered in person. Nothing beats being in one. That's what sold my wife and me on Escape, although we did move up to the 19' on faith, never having been in one when we ordered. We absolutely love it. The build quality was impeccible, and the design is very functional and well-laid out. Full queen bed, don't have to tear it down to have a dinette, plenty of room for my head (I'm 6'). I can't say enough good about the product and the people who build it.

Bruce
Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Sean-

Call Escape, make an appointment, drive to Chilliwack and take a lengthy tour of a 17. Tammy and Reace are very accomodating, and I'm sure you can get many of your questions answered in person. Nothing beats being in one. That's what sold my wife and me on Escape, although we did move up to the 19' on faith, never having been in one when we ordered. We absolutely love it. The build quality was impeccible, and the design is very functional and well-laid out. Full queen bed, don't have to tear it down to have a dinette, plenty of room for my head (I'm 6'). I can't say enough good about the product and the people who build it.

Bruce

My wife and I am now thinking on the 13'. Anyone hear or know anything about the team trillium "Outback" trailer? Just came across that one....dam this is confusing...

Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
There was an Escape 19 at the Oregon Gathering, along with Tammy and Reace and kids. There was a lot of interest in the trailer from the molded fiberglass crowd, and my wife and I found it very appealing. However, another two feet of trailer is down the road for us, as we have many more miles to travel in our Casita.
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #22

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Sean Macrae... Escape makes a 13'er. like the Outback only better and a lot closer to you!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
My wife and I am now thinking on the 13'. Anyone hear or know anything about the team trillium "Outback" trailer? Just came across that one....dam this is confusing...
I've seen a couple of Outback's, nice trailers. Escape also builds a 13 footer... a really nice trailer. So does TrilliumRV and Scamp and Casita. It boils down to what you need, what you want to pay and whether you need to have the trailer shipped to you for delivery or whether you're going to drive and pick it up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Is an Outback trailer mentioned hear molded fiberglas? I looked at an Outback several years ago and it was another version of a stick built trailer. Perhaps they have improved but the quality of construction was lacking in some respects. As I remember they were relatively heavy in similar sizes comparable to molded fiberglass units.

Martin
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #25

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Yes Sean, it did get confusing =)

Outback/Escape/Trillium RV - are all using the 13' Trillium mold shape.

Outback Trailers are built in Calgary and the one I saw looked very high quality. It uses the same fiberglass cabinets that the original 71-82 Trillium 1300's did.

Escape Trailers are built in Chillwack and they also make the molds for Trillium RV and they are shipped to the USA for finishing. Escape's 13' model is using plywood cabinets, Trillium RV's are using fiberglass cabinets.

Honestly I believe all 3 Trailers are built very well - how can you go wrong with a design that is still solid after almost 40 years =)

Outback (Trillium Trailers) -Calgary, AB

Escape - Chilliwack, BC

Trillium RV - Carson City, NV

One last thing to mention is the Canadian dollar is still lower then the US dollar (though currently not by much) so make sure you take that in mind when you price the trailers out.

EDIT: After all this I should mention that the 'Trillium' name is owned by Trillium RV.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm not in the market for a new trailer now, but you never know I have a couple of quick questions that popped up reading this thread:

1) Alf, in post #15 you show the kitchen in your Escape (drool!). I plan to put some sort of backsplash behind my kitchen unit and I wonder if yours is aluminum or stainless steel - it looks great!

2) Penney, one reason I've always ruled out the Casitas, newer Scamps, etc. for myself is I just don't like a fuzzy or carpeted wall. Does the escape have smooth walls? I know they're not hard fiberglass like the Burro, but are they like the Ensolite in my Boler? Or...?

Thanks for letting me butt in (well, not like I gave you a choice, but hopefully it's okay).

Raya
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #27

Name: Ken
US
From the escape site "a unique insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering"
Here
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I see on that page the floor plan for the 15 footer is now posted and delivery for a new trailer is now January 2010. GOOD FOR THEM! Nice to see so much success.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape