17ft Bigfoot. Info. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #15
Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
good points Zacho....

my beef with the stock furnace is the noise...the power it consumes(fan) and the fact that it is inefficient (all that heat coming out of the exhaust)...but that furnace is standard equipment in a whole lot of RVs...it's like the RV world is stuck in a time warp!!! there are a couple of new developments but the manufacturers still stick with the old technology....

having come to RVing from boats....I have a different perspective....like if my furnace "died"..or if I was building an RV from scratch I'd install a small propane fireplace with outside air intake for combustion...used EXTENSIVELY in sailboats that have a similar interior volume as our trailers......finding a place to put it in an existing trailer would be the challenge...but not insurmountable...(where I live/travel it would be worth it)

again from boats....I still have an oil lamp that I use in the trailer on cool nights...on my boats it did a great job of drying the air...while producing a smallish amount of heat and moving the air around...all night long....

expensive for a lamp....but as the manufacturer says: "Expect a LIFETIME of lighting pleasure from our lamps..." I've had mine for 20+ years and it still performs beautifully...

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Oh yeah. My post was not at all meant to be a "rebuttal" or anything to yours. RV furnaces are super inefficient and have a LOT of room for improvement. The fan definitely sucks a lot of battery power, and is loud. And if your battery is low, you've got no heat.

But as RV furnaces go, the one in the Bigfoot is sufficient.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #17
Name: aaron
Trailer: 1975 boler
British Columbia
Say you bought a Bigfoot with minor to no problems ....what if Anything you guys would upgrade or do right away? Or for peace of mind ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
hittinghard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Well of course first you want to make sure that the tires, brakes, bearings, frame, propane lines, etc. have all been checked and found to be in good working order. Those are your "peace of mind" items. You may have to replace the battery. Ours was shot.

As for upgrades, I can tell you some of the things we did: Switched all the running lights to LEDs and resealed them. Upgraded all the interior lights to LEDs too. Installed a combination propane/CO monitor and a new smoke detector. Added a larger skylight/vent with a Fantastic fan to the bathroom. Put in a new skylight/vent/fan in the main cabin area too. Got ourselves a free standing 100W solar panel. Added a small inverter. We ended up having to put in a new power center too. I think it's a smart idea to go ahead and just do that.

We had some rot in the door frame too. My husband removed the door, took it apart and rebuilt the frame. Fits better now too. Shortly after we bought our trailer the hot water heater died. We bought a new one and to save money we opted for the model in which you have to go outside and light a pilot light. Oh how I wish we had upgraded to a fancier one where you can just push a button from inside the trailer to light the hot water heater!

Hope this helps.
Evergreengirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Evergirl...quit your fretting....

.....hot water woes? just do like me...when I get to where I'm going...just after I do all the usual chores (block wheels, deploy awning, etc) I walk over to the water heater and start/fire it up...my experience with the heater is... a) it is VERY well insulated and it won't cycle unless you use water out of it....b) the pilot light uses a MINUTE amount of propane.......SOooooo...fire it up when convenient and leave it on....I would bet "dollars to dounghnuts" that whatever money you spend on extra propane to burn that tiny pilot light will be far LESS over time than the extra money you now wished you would have spent on that DSI unit .....JMO of course

now, I concur about the Power Center being at the top of the list of things that could use improvement...either it's blown and you need to do something about it...or it's about to turn your brand new battery into a boat anchor....sooner or later you will spend some money on that component....there are at least three different options....buy a new converter/charger "cartridge" that fits right in to the bottom of the old PC...buy a new, smaller, better PC now available....drop the converter/charger altogether and go to power from battery/ies all the time with a stand alone charger

people looking at BF 17s for the first time should realize that this trailer has two possible beds that are 41 inches wide...that width does not work for some couples (I'd say most but that's just me) and there have been lots of mods from owners to address/mitigate that perceived shortfall

happy shopping
Attached Thumbnails

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote