1971 Havasu Fiberglass Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #15

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I suggest you do not do that. It's there because the doors on these tend to bounce open during travel. If you take it off, add something else to keep the door in place during travel! You could easily kick the door open if someone locked you in. (I used velcro, 2 inch wide, sticky) to hold the door closed, which worked very well.)

My maiden trip was one of the only two times I've needed an electrical adapter and I didn't have one, so make sure you do.
Hes fixing the door- what kind of adapter?

Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Your new trailer is very nice looking. If you like checklists, you could put one in the glove box and run through it each time before driving. For example: hitch connection, safety chains, lights, tire pressure.

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
Bobbie had trouble with the doorvflying open on her Campster. Mine is 50 units newer than hers was and I have not had a problem. If you are concerned, maybe a safety bungee could be used to secure the door while driving and allow you to eliminate the pad lock latch.

As far as electrical, I carry a 30 amp to 20 amp converter, aka, dog bone. Most of these use a standard extension cord for power and very occasionally you'll find a park that doesn't provide a 20 amp outlet. I use my dog bone at home because I have a 30 amp plug in the carport.

I still think you found a very cute and nice looking trailer. Congrats.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Cool camper

Hi, Phyllis;
When I bought my Scamp, I had never backed up with a trailer of any type.
So I asked an experienced neighbor to give me a lesson or two. Invaluable!
For practice, we put two cones on both sides of a marked parking spot in an empty church parking lot that had plenty of space for me to make mistakes and practice.
Yes, it gets easier with practice. You'll do fine, just give yourself time, patience. The key in backing up is to learn which way to turn the steering wheel.

The hitch connection advice is important. I added safety chains and a new lock.

One more thing...watch out for dips/drop offs/potholes/drainage, so you don't knock off anything underneath the trailer.

Enjoy your new toy!
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If there is a single trick to backing a trailer, it is to always set it up so that you are backing using your left mirror. The right side is too blind, so avoid it if you can.

A friend at the back on a cell phone or walkie talkie is helpful in backing.

There are cameras and tennis balls on sticks that can make it easier to line up with your hitch.

PS, Marilyn's backing advice was also very helpful. Practice with cones and learn the steering wheel.

Have fun!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Hello!
I bought this little camper after someone checked her out for me.
I have never towed anything and Im quite nervous as its a 12 hr trip. I havent camped in ages😬
:Welcome, you will learn a lot here from everyone over time. Remember when backing up right is left and left is right, try and pull into parking spots and if possible make sure site is level then just leave the trailer attached to the Tow Vehicle, Make sure you do not go faster than 55mph that way it should not start swaying around & if it does that means you should buy a anti sway bar and talk to the seller as to how you install it etc. but I think most of these people here do not use them, possibly becuase they got the right tow'd and the trailer is being towed same as tow'd on the flat or straight and not on a angle etc.
In 6 months you will be comfortable with towing and enjoying the life we all do.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
stude can you weld that advice on my forehead at 76 I still cant remember anything!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Very cute trailer. While a rear door is not always the most convenient with the way campsites are set up, it certainly allows for a much better layout in a trailer, especially on of this size. You will now be able to create some great memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Remember when backing up right is left and left is right,
Right is always right, and left is always left. I know what you are referring too, but trying to think backwards will always have you confused when reversing.

I agree fully with the others, a parking lot is a great place to practice, they even have lines for you to use to reverse into. If you know a well experienced driver who is adept at reversing, it is a good thing to get some guidance from them. Others have taken a short driving course on trailering which has given them a great starting point in towing.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #23

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
opinion

my opinion get out there you will figure things out. all the stuff from us wont help much until you just do it yourself we all had to learn.

unfortunately I am not a great backer but I don't care I finally get stevie backed in and she is happy!

it helps to have a helper though!

good luck you will figure it out!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #24

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
stude can you weld that advice on my forehead at 76 I still cant remember anything!!

bob
:Bob your not much older than I am and I have taught myself how to do it, tack a piece of paper with those directions onto your dash where you can see it. I used to do it all the time in heavy traffic and Occasionally I would screw up then you oughta see them boil when I just don't get into the driveway and have to do it again. I mean these guys would always try and stop me from backing in even the MH let alone the trailer.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Watch the movie "The Long Long Trailer", the part where Nicky (Ricky Ricardo) backs it into a driveway. He pulls out the instruction manual and reads outloud how to back up.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #26

Name: Ken
Trailer: Leocraft 26 M/Home
Alberta
As others have said, the key is to practice somewhere "open" and go VERY SLOWLY at first. All trailers have different (usually short for camping trailers) tongue lengths, and while they start to turn slowly when backing, the trailer turns more quickly as you continue. Watch out not to "jackknife" and bang the trailer and tow vehicles rear corners. Hence go slowly. I tow 4l different types of trailers (camper, boat, utility and foldup motorcycle trailers, and with two different two vehicles with different turning radius, hence the combinations of how they backup are all different, even with the two different tow vehicles. Even after 40 years towing stuff, I still go slowly for the first time or so each season. Don't panic, you'll get there with enough practice and it's well worth practicing in an open lot with cones or something else to mark you're intended "spot", because they you get to know what kinds of distances to start with to back in perfectly.
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
Cool, yet another camper I have never heard of. Looks very interesting, though not so aerodynamic as some (but that also means it will be nice and roomy inside).
Steve Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #28

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Replacing the door lock may not fix it- it will lock it when stationary but it could still pop open while traveling. It needs something to prevent that. A deadbolt might if there is a good way to install one.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
havasu