1971 Havasu Fiberglass Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
1971 Havasu Fiberglass Camper

Hello!
I bought this little camper after someone checked her out for me.
I have never towed anything and I’m quite nervous as it’s a 12 hr trip. I haven’t camped in ages😬
Attached Thumbnails
3074F8DB-11C8-472B-80F2-D33EB3362167.jpeg  
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum family, and congratulations on your new to you adventure & memories maker. Drive to a parking lot and practice practice practice.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Wow, that's kinda neat. Especially the hump for headroom down the middle. Skylights too! Welcome to the forum and may you have many great adventures ahead. Post some interior photos if you get a chance.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

New Jersey
Thank you all. I imagine I’ll have to make an overnight stop and I am really clueless!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! Looks very nice for its vintage.

Some things before towing. (1) Make sure you have the right size ball and a ball mount that allows the trailer to ride level or slightly nose down. (2) Check dates on the tires (code is stamped in the sidewall as WWYY, week and year). More than 6-8 years old, replace. Check pressure. (3) Find out when the wheel bearings were last packed. If the previous owner doesn't know or it's more than a couple of years, have them repacked before a long tow. Check the lug nuts. (4) Check the running lights.

Some rear entry models tend to be light on the tongue and sway-prone when empty. If it seems squirrelly- prone to wag the tail- at highway speeds, add some weight to the front bed area. Better yet, use a household scale to check your tongue weight- you want 125-150 pounds for an unloaded trailer, and 10-12% of the loaded weight.

First time hitching up, make sure the coupler latch is secure. After lowering the tongue onto the ball and closing the latch, crank it back up and make sure the back of the tow vehicle is lifting up with the tongue. Put a pin or clip through the hole.

Every time you stop, double-check the hitch connection and do a walkaround inspecting everything.

Backing up, as Dave says, will take some practice. As long as you don't get in a hurry, you'll be fine. There are plenty of YouTube videos that will help you get started.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats on the new TT. Dave & Jon gave you good info and I just wanted to add one other thing as you say you've never towed before. Your new rig is short, hitch ball to axle and will track in almost the same line as your tow vehicle. When making tighter right hand turns, especially in town with curbs, make your turn a little wider for trailer curb clearance. It's really a piece of cake and you'll be able to see what's going on with the right side mirror and be automatic to you without even thinking about it in no time .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #7

New Jersey
Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to my new baby. She is having the wheel bearings done as we speak as well as several other things.
Attached Thumbnails
5D5387F0-9990-4350-B754-31F46F37FC18.jpeg   8A17C67C-3D06-4E61-AA2F-042FD7D5E0BC.jpeg  

Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Welcome & great looking trailer! Good advice from everyone. I would add: Take your time; don't let impatient drivers or heavy traffic push you out of your comfort zone. Lots of great memories ahead!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
great find

very nice outfit I would suggest since you are a newbie is to find someone who knows about trailers and their operation.

save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

good luck to you I am jealous of your rig its neat!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
First thing I'd do is remove that hasp lock on the door, very easy for someone to lock you inside, intentionally or not. Stop at a cg like KOA on the way home, they normally have a little store with some items you may need and they are relatively safe to camp in.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

New Jersey
Being fixed with regular door lock
Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
First thing I'd do is remove that hasp lock on the door, very easy for someone to lock you inside, intentionally or not.
Yeah, hasp locks are kinda Redneck, but to prevent someone from 'accidentally' being locked inside, just put the padlock through the loop and lock it. The hasp can't be used, no one can get locked inside.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
new to you trailer

Looks really good.
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
First thing I'd do is remove that hasp lock on the door, very easy for someone to lock you inside, intentionally or not.
I suggest you do not do that. It's there because the doors on these tend to bounce open during travel. If you take it off, add something else to keep the door in place during travel! You could easily kick the door open if someone locked you in. (I used velcro, 2 inch wide, sticky) to hold the door closed, which worked very well.)

My maiden trip was one of the only two times I've needed an electrical adapter and I didn't have one, so make sure you do.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I suggest you do not do that. It's there because the doors on these tend to bounce open during travel. If you take it off, add something else to keep the door in place during travel! You could easily kick the door open if someone locked you in. (I used velcro, 2 inch wide, sticky) to hold the door closed, which worked very well.)

My maiden trip was one of the only two times I've needed an electrical adapter and I didn't have one, so make sure you do.
He’s fixing the door- what kind of adapter?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Your new trailer is very nice looking. If you like checklists, you could put one in the glove box and run through it each time before driving. For example: hitch connection, safety chains, lights, tire pressure.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
He’s fixing the door- what kind of adapter?
Bobbie had trouble with the doorvflying open on her Campster. Mine is 50 units newer than hers was and I have not had a problem. If you are concerned, maybe a safety bungee could be used to secure the door while driving and allow you to eliminate the pad lock latch.

As far as electrical, I carry a 30 amp to 20 amp converter, aka, dog bone. Most of these use a standard extension cord for power and very occasionally you'll find a park that doesn't provide a 20 amp outlet. I use my dog bone at home because I have a 30 amp plug in the carport.

I still think you found a very cute and nice looking trailer. Congrats.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Cool camper

Hi, Phyllis;
When I bought my Scamp, I had never backed up with a trailer of any type.
So I asked an experienced neighbor to give me a lesson or two. Invaluable!
For practice, we put two cones on both sides of a marked parking spot in an empty church parking lot that had plenty of space for me to make mistakes and practice.
Yes, it gets easier with practice. You'll do fine, just give yourself time, patience. The key in backing up is to learn which way to turn the steering wheel.

The hitch connection advice is important. I added safety chains and a new lock.

One more thing...watch out for dips/drop offs/potholes/drainage, so you don't knock off anything underneath the trailer.

Enjoy your new toy!
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If there is a single trick to backing a trailer, it is to always set it up so that you are backing using your left mirror. The right side is too blind, so avoid it if you can.

A friend at the back on a cell phone or walkie talkie is helpful in backing.

There are cameras and tennis balls on sticks that can make it easier to line up with your hitch.

PS, Marilyn's backing advice was also very helpful. Practice with cones and learn the steering wheel.

Have fun!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
Hello!
I bought this little camper after someone checked her out for me.
I have never towed anything and I’m quite nervous as it’s a 12 hr trip. I haven’t camped in ages😬
:Welcome, you will learn a lot here from everyone over time. Remember when backing up right is left and left is right, try and pull into parking spots and if possible make sure site is level then just leave the trailer attached to the Tow Vehicle, Make sure you do not go faster than 55mph that way it should not start swaying around & if it does that means you should buy a anti sway bar and talk to the seller as to how you install it etc. but I think most of these people here do not use them, possibly becuase they got the right tow'd and the trailer is being towed same as tow'd on the flat or straight and not on a angle etc.
In 6 months you will be comfortable with towing and enjoying the life we all do.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
havasu