1975 Burro Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
We found this in Longbeach so it might have been the same one. Thank everyone for there comments they all help. There are a few things we want to customize different than what we see with other trailers. The 13 foot is a small space to work with but we can see how to utilize every area to make it count. We are going to get the outside repaired and painted in two weeks and also have custom fiberglass cabinets made on the inside. We will be posting pic as the project comes along if you all would like to see.
Greg,

I see you made it on to the fiberglass forum. Karrie sent some preview pics. Nice find, however, you found it in Long Beach, and didn't even stop by to show us. Ok, I see how it is... Just kiddin'. Can't wait to see it all fixed up.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #16

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Greg:
This Burro formerly belonged to us: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...1&hl=CindyL . It is a '78.

CindyL

Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Greg,

I see you made it on to the fiberglass forum. Karrie sent some preview pics. Nice find, however, you found it in Long Beach, and didn't even stop by to show us. Ok, I see how it is... Just kiddin'. Can't wait to see it all fixed up.
Think we were just in shock the day we brought it home it all happen so fast but now that it has all sunk in we are letting the great news out of our new addition to our family our little Burro! I will be posting some interior pics soon so everyone can see what we are up against. We have been designing the interior all week of what we want as next week it will be sent off to get all the fiberglass done can't wait to see it when that is complete.
Karrie
Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Greg:
This Burro formerly belonged to us: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...1&hl=CindyL . It is a '78.

CindyL
Thank you for the pics. I bet you had fun camping in it when you had it.
Karrie
Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #19

Quote:
hi Greg,
next time you have the camera out, could you shoot a highres pic of the logo on the side of your trailer for me. I'm creating downloadable decal files for the Document center and want to include the Burro logo. please shoot as straight on as you can and IM me when you have it and I'll give you my email.
thanx,
Scott
Would you like pics of the logo before we repaint or after as we will be putting new one on?
Karrie
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #20

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
pics before please. the art that I'm doing is something you will be able to download and take to a printer. if you are using the original design that is. the plan is to have ALL the logos in the doc center.

thanx
Old 11-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #21

Quote:
pics before please. the art that I'm doing is something you will be able to download and take to a printer. if you are using the original design that is. the plan is to have ALL the logos in the doc center.

thanx
We are starting this weekend gutting out the Burro getting it all ready so i will get the pics you need. This is a new adventure for us, we have never done this before. We bought a Teardrop about a year and half ago but it was a custom built and was perfect when we bought it so this is a new challenge but we are ready to go wish us good luck we will need it!
Karrie
Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Congrats on the Burro!

I see you are in S. Cal - I am an upholsterer if you need help with the cushions/Curtains feel free to contact me, I'm in LA.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Congrats on the Burro!

I see you are in S. Cal - I am an upholsterer if you need help with the cushions/Curtains feel free to contact me, I'm in LA.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do!
Thank you for letting us know i just might need some help with the cushions. I plan on making the curtains, i made the ones that was put into our teardrop. The cushions that are in the Burro are coming out and we will be installing a bed so i was hoping to use them to make a single bed and just recovering over them.
Thank You,
Karrie
Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Hi Karrie -

Sure, let me know.

If the foam is in good shape, you can reuse it. New foam is easy to get also, and worth doing if the old stuff is soft or mushy.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Greg,

You had asked me in a private message about the gas light in your Burro. Mine does not have a gas light/latern installed. It never did. But you can easily find replacements or rather new gas lights if you want to install a new one. I searched here on this site as I remember some conversations about them and finding parts. A search here for "Gas Light" (with the quotations) will bring up a list of some of the conversations. One of them had this link to a source to purchase gas propane lights/heater. "Heater" because they do add some heqat to your interior when in use a good and bad thing depending on the season I guess.
Propane interior lights
I had considered putting one in my Burro but never did it.

YOu mentioned your Burro was pretty much gutted when you got it. I was hoping there might be some goodies left over after your renovation that I might be able to use on mine. Let me know if there is anything you think I could use.

You also mentioned taking it down to the frame. The Burros had/have a frame problem you should be aware of. At the front of the trailer where the steel frame sides are bent to bring them in to form the toung the bent area is weak. Right at the bend just under the shell you will see the bends on both sides. Check for cracks but regardless this area MUST be strengthend if it is not already. A former owner of my Burro had this area crack and the trailer fell to the ground! One front corner of the shell is broken up because of this. My frame has been rebuilt at these bends and flat steel plates added over the bends and above and below the bends. Make sure this is all good on yours.
Sounds like you are going to rework the hole trailer. It is great that you have the resources to do this. Would love to see more pictures of yours before, durring and after.

My heater is a catalitic heater so it is not vented in any way. It is a surface mount heater that is mounted under the closet door. There have been recent discusion on the Wave 3 catalitic heater. This would be a replacement to mine that is pretty old but working after some TLC. Puts out pleanty of heat. Forced air furnace would be better and safer. Here;s a quick link on the heater similar to mine.
One source for Wave 3 with picture

My heater here My heater

Let me know if I can be of any help to you. I could easily send pictures of the frame problem if you need them.

Dave
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #26

Dave thanks for your last post, yes our Burro has been butchered, but this give us an opportunity to do a few things different.
I will not be removing the body from the frame, but once I move it to the shop the restoration will start at the frame and then move to fiberglass repair (both outside and inside) and then paint.
The frame has already been reinforced(plated on both side), I am inspecting the welds and looking for way to ensure there are no future problems down the road.
I will definitely be putting the gas lantern back in although i want a more modern look and improved from some of the issues in the past.
As for HEAT, it looks like i will going with a furnace, I am specifically looking for a Suburban DD series. I was considering the Big Buddy propane heater it seems very well made and has good review EXCEPT for one noted issue, it doesn't work well above 7,000 feet, as you might know at high altitude LP has a different burn rate and thus the problem.
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_ext...d=41&id=116
Today i just about have the inside cleaned out, the previous owns had cut out fiberglass where they shouldn't have and added wiring that surprises me the trailer hasn't burn to the ground.
We have already purchased a magic chef refrigerator, we will use it until we can find the right deal on a 2-way fridge, Dometic and Norcold have them but I'm not giving up a limb to purchase a new one. Once moved from my garage to the shop I will purchase a sheet of FRP to make make the inside look fairly close to factory specs, the only change will be more cabinets and a few extra shelves.
Karrie has been a good sport and she has compromised on a stove with oven for a good quality stove only {any ideas welcomed}
The amount of screw holes that need filled is mind blowing, but what should have i expected from a 33 year old trailer that at one time was someones personal residence.
Pic will be posted soon.

Greg

Tags
burro