1985 scamp 16 Foot Help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree. Unless the distance is great, you have nothing to lose by going to see it. If nothing else, it will give you experience and a basis for comparison when you look at others in the future. And IF the wood subfloor is solid, and IF there are no widespread frame issues (a small crack can be repaired and reinforced), and IF they will come down on the price to allow for a new axle with brakes,…

Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #16

Name: Alissa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I paid $3500 for my 1988 two years ago in much the same condition and features you describe. In hindsight, I honestly feel this was $1000 too much given all the work just to get it up to (my) minimum safe and comfortable towing and camping standards (new axle, tires/rims, A/C, refrigerator, roof hatch cover, front bunk seat upholstery, converter & battery, cracked frame repair, rivets, washers & caps, rear stabilizers, side marker lights, etc., etc.). I am fortunate to have the money, skills, tools, time, and interest to do all of the work myself.
He is asking $5900 and its three years older,1985. If it was located a little closer I would defiantly go look.
Thanks for the info about the Casitas. I didn't even think about it being harder to repair with the floor being under the fiberglass. Like Jon said "almost all floor rot is caused by water from above", so the water would be trapped.

I think I will keep looking. The seller didn't seem to have a lot of knowledge about the trailer so makes me wonder.

Timber Wolf ,If you run across anything worth looking at in North Florida let me know!
Thanks again for all the help for everyone! I have made me a list of what to look for and how to inspect from all the great input!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #17

Florida
1992 Scamp

I found another one and I'm planing to look at it Sunday. The seller seems knowledgeable. Everything is original except for new brakes and tires. Seller states everything works great. I even asked him about the plastic rivet covers, he said original and didn't need to be replaced. I worried about everything being original, because someone mentioned that the appliances go out around 10 years.

Also would having the AC on the side (like this one does) instead of the roof be a plus?

The price seems a bit high to me,but prices of these seems to be all over the place.

"1992 scamp camper new brakes and tires everything works $7850.00.. Like brand new"

http://screencast.com/t/aiC6jTQQdJAT
http://screencast.com/t/1mkC1K7bNKI5
http://screencast.com/t/RMpCiumiRTiy
http://screencast.com/t/3rgJRnublwAe
http://screencast.com/t/RbYeLLYWT
http://screencast.com/t/KyViBAr3
http://screencast.com/t/llT83e4OQJL

Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Roof AC cools better. Side AC units aren't as powerful and don't circulate as well. It may depend on whether you plan to do much summer camping in the Southeast. Try to find out if it's a factory installation or not. Not all owner installations are done correctly.

At 24 years old, it is past the normal expiration date for a rubber torsion axle (15-20 years seems to be the conventional wisdom). So, I'd want to check it carefully. In addition to the two tests I mentioned, you can also bring a small floor or bottle jack and jack up the frame just behind the axle and watch to see whether the axle arm drops as the trailer rises.

As always, check the floor very carefully inside cabinets and underneath. And test all the appliances and plumbing systems. I think someone may have already mentioned to have the seller turn on the fridge a day ahead of time. RV absorption fridges cool very slowly and don't make sounds like a compressor fridge to show whether they are working.

Price is perhaps a bit above average for the age, but could be justified if it has been well-maintained.

Your pictures seem to be password-protected???
Old 02-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #19

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
1992 18 Ft. Scamp Camper FOR SALE

Is it this one?

Eyes wide, wide open. The price is high. Do I see missing white caps on the back? Seeing things in person beats photos all day long. Do I also see bagging ceiling material in that one shot? Again, who knows. Eyes on it is the only way.

I agree on the axle likely being past it's "best if used by" date. All this stuff adds up and many buyers do not take anything into account when pricing.

Look for rot under the front window. Lift the hatches in the sofa seat and use your nose as well as your eyes. The left, or curbside hatch in rear dinette. That's a notorious leaking spot as the water storage tank is often there. Smell everything. Mildew and rot has an odor. Some folks use a "cover up" spray before you arrive.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #20

Florida
Should be able to see them now. I have the hardest time trying to add pics here.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
1992 18 Ft. Scamp Camper FOR SALE

Is it this one?

Eyes wide, wide open. The price is high. Do I see missing white caps on the back? Seeing things in person beats photos all day long. Do I also see bagging ceiling material in that one shot? Again, who knows. Eyes on it is the only way.

I agree on the axle likely being past it's "best if used by" date. All this stuff adds up and many buyers do not take anything into account when pricing.

Look for rot under the front window. Lift the hatches in the sofa seat and use your nose as well as your eyes. The left, or curbside hatch in rear dinette. That's a notorious leaking spot as the water storage tank is often there. Smell everything. Mildew and rot has an odor. Some folks use a "cover up" spray before you arrive.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
No it not that one, but I did email that seller today. This seller text the pictures to me.My picture links should work now.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #22

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
No it not that one, but I did email that seller today. This seller text the pictures to me.My picture links should work now.
OK, I see it is a different unit. But…. otherwise, the suggestions/concerns still apply.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Should be able to see them now. I have the hardest time trying to add pics here.
Looks to me like you are trying to use a URL link rather than attaching the pictures directly to your post. Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the new post window, and then click the paperclip icon in the top row. The rest should be self-explanatory. If you need more information, directions are in post #7 here.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Also would having the AC on the side (like this one does) instead of the roof be a plus?
I prefer the side A/C for a couple of reasons. One, it allows a cleaner trailer roof and one less hole up there. Two, swapping out the side unit is cheap and easy. I slapped a new 6,000 BTU window unit ($179 at Home Depot) in mine and although it does benefit from a fan moving air around inside it has done the job. I have a Fantastic Fan but recently found some really small, and really cheap rechargeable fans that work as well and are easier to position around the trailer as needed.

It took some looking but the A/C I found had the ability to hook up a condensate drain, not all do.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #25

Florida
Don't Beat Me Up For Saying This In Here

I found an R-Pod 2011 for what I think is a great price, $7,500. I looked at it yesterday and it looks great. The owner even replaced the mattress with a new memory-foam one that still has plastic on it (said that one that came in it was awful).

I was really considering a Scamp or Cansita,but form what I have read an R-pod is a great TT with few problems although they are not molded fiberglass. The Scamp I found was an 1992 and same price.

I'm a TT newbie so any input about the R-pod would be welcomed.

Here is the ad for the R-Pod

SLEEPS 4/. QUEEN BED / DINETTE CONVERTIBLE BED. 11,000 BTU AIR CONDITIONER 20,000 BTU FURNACE, 4.2 CF 3-WAY REFRIGERATOR , 2 BURNER RANGE TOP , GAS / ELEC DSI WATER HEATER, MICROWAVE, WET BATH WITH INTEGRATED TOILET. DOLBY AM/FM/CD /DVD/TV COMBO. SPARE TIRE WITH COVER/ 14" GOODYEAR RADIALS,TINTED SAFETY GLASS WINDOWS. COME WITH R- POD AWNING WITH SCREEN ROOM. SWAY BAR , LEVELER AND SURGE

Hitch Weight
225 lbs

Ship Weight
2,205 lbs

Cargo Capacity
1,020 lbs

GVWR
3,225 lbs

Length
18'-4"

Height
9'-6"

Width
8'-0"

Fresh Water
36 gal

Gray Water
35 gal

Black Water
35 gal

L.P. Capacity
20 gal

Tire Size
14"
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I had an MPG 184 for three years which was an rPod knock-off. Unfortunately for Forest River, the MPG was SIGNIFICANTLY better constructed all the way around than the rPod. I had the opportunity to directly compare both side by side as my neighbors bought an rPod. After touring the MPG, they were disappointed in the rPod they'd bought.

The rPod isn't a bad trailer, but there are better built ones for the same kind of money. If you like that style of trailer, I'd look for an MPG. They came in various floorplans, but they only built them for two years.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
I had an MPG 184 for three years which was an rPod knock-off. Unfortunately for Forest River, the MPG was SIGNIFICANTLY better constructed all the way around than the rPod. I had the opportunity to directly compare both side by side as my neighbors bought an rPod. After touring the MPG, they were disappointed in the rPod they'd bought.

The rPod isn't a bad trailer, but there are better built ones for the same kind of money. If you like that style of trailer, I'd look for an MPG. They came in various floorplans, but they only built them for two years.
That is a lot nice. I'm looking now to see if any near me to look at. Thanks!

Tags
scamp