1987 Cadet 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #15

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
The design of the Cadet would be enhanced if one could have a "pop out" canvas area on added where the campers curves in. I could see a hardside for the bottom, canvas sides and it would act as a bed when out.

Andrew? Do you have a design for this?

How difficult would the be for a canvas shop? Could you maintain the structural integrity if you used a hatch type opening?

Kanata1, this IS a great site.

Roger, while I prefer the Lovebug over my tent trailers, too, if it's not large enough for her family, it's not the right camper for her. Are there other campers that are light as she needs but larger for her family?

BTW, my tent trailers had a door that opened where I could load and unload the camper. The only time I set it up was at the campsite and the very rare time that I had rain. Aren't they all like this?

Old 06-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I first saw the trailer on the net I was hoping that it would have the pop out like the hybrids, but I am not sure I would want to but a hard top and convert it into a tent trailer/hybrid. Easier to buy a tent trailer.

The three set-up deal for tent trailer is (IMHO) definitely the way it works. Where I live in Eastern Ontario (Canada), it's bloody humid, and weather varies. As a kid, I remember the trailer being set up in the driveway regularly to air or dry out.

I will give a full report once I see it!!

K

Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #17

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
BTW, my tent trailers had a door that opened where I could load and unload the camper. The only time I set it up was at the campsite and the very rare time that I had rain. Aren't they all like this?
No. The newer and more expensive models tend to be more user friendly. The newer materials used to mean a newer popup was also lighter. But, with all the amenities they load into tent trailers these days that is not necessarily true.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #18

So I am just back from the lot and saw the trailer.

Ottawa temperature 26 degrees celsius with 66% humidity. Hello Summer.

Good points:
- cushions, stove and fridge seem to be in good condition
- walls and floor are in good shape
- There is, I believe, room to accommodate a bunk at the front of the trailer, but there is no real room over table for a bunk.
- It is a neat little trailer, that's for sure.

Not so good points:

- The unit was vandalized and the front and back windows had to be re-built (custom), so I am concerned about water getting in.
- The pop-up roof is showing both mold and wear. There is separation in at least one spot that I saw.
- It is a very very small trailer.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Roger, while I prefer the Lovebug over my tent trailers, too, if it's not large enough for her family, it's not the right camper for her. Are there other campers that are light as she needs but larger for her family?

Yes, there are others out there that are slightly larger that can accomodate a family. That's why I mentioned the Trillium 4500 with the bunk over the dinette. With the front bunk setup, it could easily sleep two adults and four kids. I'm sure there are others will similar setups.

No, all tent trailers aren't set up that way. Some have the icebox right inside the door, but just reaching inside doesn't deal with clothing, chairs, sleeping bags, pillows and other 'stuff' you might want to pack into the trailer.

Roger
Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #20

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
So I am just back from the lot and saw the trailer.

Ottawa temperature 26 degrees celsius with 66% humidity. Hello Summer.

Good points:
- cushions, stove and fridge seem to be in good condition
- walls and floor are in good shape
- There is, I believe, room to accommodate a bunk at the front of the trailer, but there is no real room over table for a bunk.
- It is a neat little trailer, that's for sure.

Not so good points:

- The unit was vandalized and the front and back windows had to be re-built (custom), so I am concerned about water getting in.
- The pop-up roof is showing both mold and wear. There is separation in at least one spot that I saw.
- It is a very very small trailer.

Well, overall, it does sound a bit disappointing. It does sound like you need a camper the size of my Lovebug that sleeps 4 but is lightweight.

Something will come along and be just right for you and your family! And, another thought about this, campers seem to hold their value quite well, especially once they are a few years old. Perhaps it's worthwhile to buy this one, fix it up, sell it at a profit when your family has outgrown it?
Good luck!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #21

Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Quote:
Yes, there are others out there that are slightly larger that can accomodate a family. That's why I mentioned the Trillium 4500 with the bunk over the dinette. With the front bunk setup, it could easily sleep two adults and four kids. I'm sure there are others will similar setups.

No, all tent trailers aren't set up that way. Some have the icebox right inside the door, but just reaching inside doesn't deal with clothing, chairs, sleeping bags, pillows and other 'stuff' you might want to pack into the trailer.

Roger
Hi, Roger
I realize there are other models out there that would solve her space needs, but, do they weigh less than the 900 pounds she needs to keep under? You would know better than I, Master Collector!

That's funny you mention that about the icebox right inside the door...that's exactly how this last one was set up. You know, I packed all the stuff you mentioned into the camper before the top was lowered. Items like favorite pillows and such were tucked by the door for easy removal. I simply never remember having to set my camper up other than when camping. I guess I like to get as much stuff into the camper permanently and load for each trip as little as possible. Of course, when you have 3-4 trailers, that mayn't be so easy!

Cheers, pal! Happy 4th!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #22

I just got an e-mail that the trailer has been sold. I guess I am off to tent trailer land. Already booked to see on on the weekend.

We'll see!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #23

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Quote:
I just got an e-mail that the trailer has been sold. I guess I am off to tent trailer land. Already booked to see on on the weekend.

We'll see!
Just wondering what they were asking or what it sold for if you know. We will be up in the Ottawa area tonight with out Scamp camping, hope it stops raining
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Just wondering what they were asking or what it sold for if you know. We will be up in the Ottawa area tonight with out Scamp camping, hope it stops raining
It was originally listed at $4000, then went to $3000 and was $2800 when I looked at it (which happened to be the day it sold). I think it was worth $2000, not much more...

It has stopped raining and is warming back up. Weather seems to be gearing up for a nice Canada Day Weekend, hopefully.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #25

Name: Lonnie
Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Ontario
Hi,just to let you know that we are the new proud owers of this CADET trailer.This trailer looked a little rough in the repair shop but was really a gem.We removed the indoor-outdoor capetting and the floor was like new.We washed the inside and outside and it looks like new now.There is hardly any wear inside and everything works.We glued the canvis back to the roof and it looks fine.The trailer also came with the opitional add-a-room and owners manual.The only thing wrong is we are missing one of the arms to hold the back window open.If anyone knows were I could get the part,please let me know.The trailer tows beautiful behind our Toyota Rava4
Lonnie W

Tags
cadet