1987 Cadet 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am new to owning trailers (camped in a tent trailer as a kid).

Anyhow, I have located a nice Cadet 13' model that I can pull with my station wagon. Can anyone tell me if they have ever seen bunks installed (custom) like you would find in a 13' boler?

I am trying to not buy a tent trailer, but if the bunks can't be done, I might have to....

Looking for insight and any comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
Kanata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not sure the floor plan of a Cadet would allow that. You MAY be able to rig a bunk above the bed ala old Shasta style.. take a look at Shasta vintage campers and see what they have done there.

The sides of the Shasta are stick built tho, and may be more sturdy for this arrangement.

Why not just get a Boler or more traditional egg... I know, I know.. hard to find!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #3

the choice for me is between this or a tent trailer. Tent trailers have several considerations between models, and I always worry about maintenance of canvas, and other things.

I was thinking of seeing if the front overhead storage could be moved to the back of the trailer, to make room for a slightly curved overhead bunk with a stick fram built in oak or baltic ply wood materials (for strength). Even with the weight this adds, it would not bring the trailer over 950lbs, which is really comfortable for pulling.

The other consideration is the size and whether it would be cramped. Thanks for the input!

I am now looking for Shasta trailer site for pics...

Quote:
I am not sure the floor plan of a Cadet would allow that. You MAY be able to rig a bunk above the bed ala old Shasta style.. take a look at Shasta vintage campers and see what they have done there.

The sides of the Shasta are stick built tho, and may be more sturdy for this arrangement.

Why not just get a Boler or more traditional egg... I know, I know.. hard to find!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer:
I'm guessing that Gina is talking about a tranverse bunk over the dinette in the Cadet. Something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cadet_bunk.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	3655

The easiest way to do this, and be able to stow the bunk during the day, would be to use two light aluminum tubes with a 'canvas' sling between them to support the bunk cushions - these can be pretty thin (2"?) as the sling provides a soft support anyway. This sort of bunk overcomes the problem of the Cadet windows being right where you want the bunk to be.

Then you have to work out how to make suitable sockets to hold the ends of the tubes and how to attach them to the side of the trailer - the safest plan would be to bolt them through the wall, taking care to seal well. However I think there may not be suffiicent flat space between the window and the corner of the body to mount a socket at the back.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #5

Thanks very much for the input. It does though pretty much confirm that a tent trailer is a better solution for my family of 4. I think this trailer would be very cramped even though I like the look of it and the design idea from Andrew...

Thanks for all the input. I think I am headed for the dark side of tent trailer camping....
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #6

Trailer:
By coincidence, I just came across these photos I had saved of the canvas bunk in a Shasta, so here they are:

Name:	compact_11.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	3687

Name:	compact_12.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3688

Name:	compact_13.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	3689

Name:	compact_14.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3690

Name:	compact_15.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	3691

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 78 Trillium
I owned a 1988 Cadet Trailer for a few years and thought about doing the same thing; however, the walls of the trailer would not be strong enough to support the weight of a bunk bed. Unlike a Trillium or Boler there is no support in the walls except the outer fiberglass shell which cannot hold any weight.

MD
Marc D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Wow Andrew.. thats EXACTLY what I was trying to convey! Good find.

Homer Simpson is a nice touch
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
If I had the choice of a Cadet or a tent trailer and the Cadet wouldn't work I would stay home. We had a very nice tent trailer for three trips, I REALLY didn't like it. It was a hassle to set up, it had to be COMPLETELY dry when you take it down or it would mold, we winter camp and there was no way to warm it up, did I mention the mold? ack.

Put the kids outside in their own personal retreat (tent). Privacy for them, privacy for the adults. If they are too small for a tent then one can sleep on the floor in the trailer. I mean how much time are you going to spend inside anyway?

I'd love to have a Cadet, I think they are really cute!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #10

I suppose you also did a dance when making that little shot at tent trailers. Good for you.

I think the option of bracing a wooden frame to the bench and having an overhead bunk would be the best option. To be frank, the trailer would work this summer and maybe next summer. It's more a concern for a couple of years from now. Not sure I am going to want to spend the money now and then again because I underbought...

Great insights from all though!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hi, Kanata1

Actually, I really liked my tent trailers that I owned when the kids were smaller. They can be very spacious and offer more space than these little fiberglass campers. The only reason I choose to part with my tent trailer was that it was too difficult to set up with my bad back and I like to go out with my art supplies and camp alone. Of course, my tent trailers were older and the newer models have lifts and such.

One of my TT had a furnace, sink with attachable water supply lines, stove and was just great. We have many wonderful memories of that camper.

At the time, my husband and I didn't know a thing about campers. We pulled that heavy Bethany camper, which was as long as my Honda Civic, all the way from Minnesota to Montreal, Quebec, and up to the Cabot Trail. We got a lot of looks! When I had the hitch installed on my Honda, I did ask about tongue weight and all that. But, in retrospect, I really don't think I should have been pulling that camper with that Honda!

Enjoy whatever camper you choose, I am sure you will love it and create lots of wonderful memories with your family! Just make sure to pack the marshmallows!!!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Nical Captain
Send a message via AIM to Brian Hatfield
Quote:
I am new to owning trailers (camped in a tent trailer as a kid).

Anyhow, I have located a nice Cadet 13' model that I can pull with my station wagon. Can anyone tell me if they have ever seen bunks installed (custom) like you would find in a 13' boler?

I am trying to not buy a tent trailer, but if the bunks can't be done, I might have to....

Looking for insight and any comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
I have a Captain (big brother to the Cadet) and it had a bunk over the front dinette.
It was two aluminum pipes with a canvas body, and it was suspended from two 3/4" X 3"
boards (24" long) that were fiberglassed right to the side walls and it was rated at 125lbs.
I have no need for it, but I can assure you that the side walls are strong enough providing you fiberglass the boards ( with appropriate half circles to support the pipes) directly to the sidewalls.
I have the bunk if your interested in it . Just drop me an email and I'll ship it to you.
Brian Hatfield
bhatfield9@cogeco.ca
Brian Hatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #13

Thanks for another great tip! I am heading out to see the trailer later today. If I get it, I will e-mail you for sure! thanks so much for the tip.

This site is fantastic...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Kanata... having had a parade of various kinds of trailers over the years, I will add my vote to the non-tent trailer variety. Someone here once described it very well... all of the inconvenience of a tent and none of the good points!

Among the biggest issues that shoot down tent trailers (IMHO) are the fact that every trip requires a minimum of three set-ups and take-downs. You have to set it up to load it, set it up when you get there, and set it up again to unload it and/or dry out the fabric.

I briefly had a '78 Trillium 4500 that was equipped from the factory with a bunk arrangement over the dinette. I'm sure that there are others out there! Happy hunting...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #15

The design of the Cadet would be enhanced if one could have a "pop out" canvas area on added where the campers curves in. I could see a hardside for the bottom, canvas sides and it would act as a bed when out.

Andrew? Do you have a design for this?

How difficult would the be for a canvas shop? Could you maintain the structural integrity if you used a hatch type opening?

Kanata1, this IS a great site.

Roger, while I prefer the Lovebug over my tent trailers, too, if it's not large enough for her family, it's not the right camper for her. Are there other campers that are light as she needs but larger for her family?

BTW, my tent trailers had a door that opened where I could load and unload the camper. The only time I set it up was at the campsite and the very rare time that I had rain. Aren't they all like this?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #16

When I first saw the trailer on the net I was hoping that it would have the pop out like the hybrids, but I am not sure I would want to but a hard top and convert it into a tent trailer/hybrid. Easier to buy a tent trailer.

The three set-up deal for tent trailer is (IMHO) definitely the way it works. Where I live in Eastern Ontario (Canada), it's bloody humid, and weather varies. As a kid, I remember the trailer being set up in the driveway regularly to air or dry out.

I will give a full report once I see it!!

K
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
BTW, my tent trailers had a door that opened where I could load and unload the camper. The only time I set it up was at the campsite and the very rare time that I had rain. Aren't they all like this?
No. The newer and more expensive models tend to be more user friendly. The newer materials used to mean a newer popup was also lighter. But, with all the amenities they load into tent trailers these days that is not necessarily true.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #18

So I am just back from the lot and saw the trailer.

Ottawa temperature 26 degrees celsius with 66% humidity. Hello Summer.

Good points:
- cushions, stove and fridge seem to be in good condition
- walls and floor are in good shape
- There is, I believe, room to accommodate a bunk at the front of the trailer, but there is no real room over table for a bunk.
- It is a neat little trailer, that's for sure.

Not so good points:

- The unit was vandalized and the front and back windows had to be re-built (custom), so I am concerned about water getting in.
- The pop-up roof is showing both mold and wear. There is separation in at least one spot that I saw.
- It is a very very small trailer.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Roger, while I prefer the Lovebug over my tent trailers, too, if it's not large enough for her family, it's not the right camper for her. Are there other campers that are light as she needs but larger for her family?

Yes, there are others out there that are slightly larger that can accomodate a family. That's why I mentioned the Trillium 4500 with the bunk over the dinette. With the front bunk setup, it could easily sleep two adults and four kids. I'm sure there are others will similar setups.

No, all tent trailers aren't set up that way. Some have the icebox right inside the door, but just reaching inside doesn't deal with clothing, chairs, sleeping bags, pillows and other 'stuff' you might want to pack into the trailer.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
So I am just back from the lot and saw the trailer.

Ottawa temperature 26 degrees celsius with 66% humidity. Hello Summer.

Good points:
- cushions, stove and fridge seem to be in good condition
- walls and floor are in good shape
- There is, I believe, room to accommodate a bunk at the front of the trailer, but there is no real room over table for a bunk.
- It is a neat little trailer, that's for sure.

Not so good points:

- The unit was vandalized and the front and back windows had to be re-built (custom), so I am concerned about water getting in.
- The pop-up roof is showing both mold and wear. There is separation in at least one spot that I saw.
- It is a very very small trailer.

Well, overall, it does sound a bit disappointing. It does sound like you need a camper the size of my Lovebug that sleeps 4 but is lightweight.

Something will come along and be just right for you and your family! And, another thought about this, campers seem to hold their value quite well, especially once they are a few years old. Perhaps it's worthwhile to buy this one, fix it up, sell it at a profit when your family has outgrown it?
Good luck!

Tags
cadet