1989 Teardrop American "outbacker" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #29
Trailer: Teardrop American 1989

Hard to believe this thread is still going. I took my across county from Seattle to Washington DC and back in 08. It has been stored in the garage since then. The main problem I had was the latches. The back one I ended up bungee cord it back home and never did replace the back seal. When I got near St. Lewis I ended up taking motels all the way home as it was too hot to sleep in. Even running two fans in it. Every time I stopped I would check the door latches as the door ones would come lose. Other than that it pulled great with the van. Great little traveler for sleeping in.

Just before I left my son discovered why the egg part was bouncing around. There is a couple of nuts and bolts that attach to the frame. Put a metal strip across and reattached hardware problem fixed.

These travelers were sold in the USA and China but the company went belly up due to financially not making it.

lauramoncur: I don't know where you could get a logo from. I drove over to Wenatchee, WA and meet up with the production manager to get some spare parts. He didn't have any logo's.

Michelle S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Welcome back Michelle... we thought you'd disappeared!

Maybe you can get a one-off logo made from this picture: Teardrop American

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #31
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Those teardrops were built in Wenatchee, WA back in the 90's.
As I mentioned in a much earlier post, a salvage yard in Chelan, WA bought up all of the left over parts and pieces and has had them sitting out exposed to the elements for years. If anyone needs body parts, or wants to try to build a new one, I will get the name of the yard at which they are located.
When I was there exactly a year ago this week, the owner wanted about $500 for enough pieces to built a complete rig (Minus the trailer part).
He also wanted to hit on my ex-wife, but that's another story.
BTW: The downfall of them seemed to be that the poly material they are made of isn't all that dimension stable and leaky door seals were endemic.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
Trailer: Teardrop American 1989
Bob, My wing doors are warped so that is one of the issues to keeping the doors close. There are a few other things but not enough to not own it. I've been thinking about selling my since I haven't used it. I now slept in my van or get a motel on my trips. Advantage is just back from ND and I could drive 75 instead of 63 or so and I can't lock myself in it. One more thing is my is from there original production line. How you can tell is the hinges on the doors are made different. My isn't the Hydraulic ones. One nice thing is you can paint it. Best to you use car paint but house paint will work too per the guy I talked to. Donna, thanks for the link.
Michelle S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #33
Name: Bret
Trailer: lookn
Heart of Dixie
I am looking for one of these to purchase. If anyone has a lead I would appreciate it.

pndwind is offline   Reply With Quote