1996 16 ft Scamp renovation near completion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
1996 16 ft Scamp renovation near completion

Drove from NY to Iowa and back in less than 48 hrs to pick up my used 16ft 1996 scampin April. Scamp was gutted out by previous owner but he left the upper oak cabinets in and had a build the framing for a full size bed in back. Played around over the summer (thanks for all those that contribute on this site for their help), did enough to have a bed in back and small dinette up front where table could be set to make a small bed. Good enough so that in August my 17yr old son and I could make a 1700 mi trip from NY to Acadia NP, then Boston and off to Philly before heading home. Basically had a glorified tent on wheels. Storage was just rubber maid containers and coolers. Continued work through the fall and this unusually warm winter so far and am nearing the completion of the restoration. Finally made good use of the old kitchen cabinet doors that were out in my garage the past 10 years. Excited about trips to the Adirondacks this spring and summer
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150404_114217945.jpg   IMG_20150404_114307333.jpg  

IMG_20160110_165025049.jpg   IMG_20160110_164950028.jpg  

rocknboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Wow! Looks great. Saw this on the Scamp Forum, and complemented you on your talents and skills. Really nice job.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknboler View Post
Drove from NY to Iowa and back in less than 48 hrs to pick up my used 16ft 1996 scampin April. Scamp was gutted out by previous owner but he left the upper oak cabinets in and had a build the framing for a full size bed in back. Played around over the summer (thanks for all those that contribute on this site for their help), did enough to have a bed in back and small dinette up front where table could be set to make a small bed. Good enough so that in August my 17yr old son and I could make a 1700 mi trip from NY to Acadia NP, then Boston and off to Philly before heading home. Basically had a glorified tent on wheels. Storage was just rubber maid containers and coolers. Continued work through the fall and this unusually warm winter so far and am nearing the completion of the restoration. Finally made good use of the old kitchen cabinet doors that were out in my garage the past 10 years. Excited about trips to the Adirondacks this spring and summer
Very nice work ! Curious what is the material for your counters ? Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Dan,

LOOKS GREAT! Thanks for the pictures. Very impressive.

Dean
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

New York
Thanks

Dean and Doug thanks for the props. Pat, the counter tops are my first attempt at doing formica lament on particle board. Purchased 2 sheets 4 x 8 of lament with some cracked edges from lowes for $14 so I figured I had enough in cases I made a mistake or two. A lot easier than I thought (lots of advice on youtube), a few small mistakes but nothing very noticeable. As mentioned, cut down old birch kitchen cabinet doors that have been hanging out in the garage for 10 years. Got to play around with my router I received for birthday. Birch did not match rest of oak wood. So I used a real dark stain to give contrast. Just finished putting in the finishing touches on the wine rack I built in the cabinet above the fridge. Plan on making good use of wine rack ( only holds 4 - 750 ml bottles so will have to have restocking plan). Can not wait to get out on the road with it. Thanks again

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150829_153638758.jpg   IMG_20160110_165015829.jpg  

IMG_20160110_165154959.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
It is really encouraging to see an older trailer being brought back to tiptop condition. Your work looks real nice and cozy. Please keep the photos coming.

What kind of system will keep the bottles in the wine rack while traveling? Or is it only on arrival that the shelf will be stocked? And what New York wines are you suggesting we should all try?
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Dean and Doug thanks for the props. Pat, the counter tops are my first attempt at doing formica lament on particle board. Purchased 2 sheets 4 x 8 of lament with some cracked edges from lowes for $14 so I figured I had enough in cases I made a mistake or two. A lot easier than I thought (lots of advice on youtube), a few small mistakes but nothing very noticeable. As mentioned, cut down old birch kitchen cabinet doors that have been hanging out in the garage for 10 years. Got to play around with my router I received for birthday. Birch did not match rest of oak wood. So I used a real dark stain to give contrast. Just finished putting in the finishing touches on the wine rack I built in the cabinet above the fridge. Plan on making good use of wine rack ( only holds 4 - 750 ml bottles so will have to have restocking plan). Can not wait to get out on the road with it. Thanks again

Dan
Very nice ! Love the contrast of the woods ! Pat
Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Dan,

Really coming along. Looks amazing!!!

Dean
Old 01-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

New York
Rich and Val,

Each of the four wine cubbies has U shape cup in front and then lined around inside edge with layer of Styrofoam and bubble wrap which I then covered with pool table green felt. Bottles seem to fit snug but so that no wine goes to waste, will fasten small black net across front just in case.

Have the good fortune of being nestled between two wine trails (Niagara Wine Trail to the west and the Finger Lakes Wine Trails ~ 1 hr to the east). They both have world class wines, but most are on the sweet side. I prefer a smooth dry red merlot (never seems to take much arm twisting to drink other varieties though). My favorite, shown below is a Barolo (Italian red) made at a business here in Rochester where you make your own wine. After lots of sampling, I settled on the Barolo. Unfortunately, only made 36 bottles and supplies are running low. Will have to sample and make more (its a tough life).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160123_124807252.jpg   IMG_20160123_124822558.jpg  

Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Rich and Val,

Each of the four wine cubbies has U shape cup in front and then lined around inside edge with layer of Styrofoam and bubble wrap which I then covered with pool table green felt. Bottles seem to fit snug but so that no wine goes to waste, will fasten small black net across front just in case.

Have the good fortune of being nestled between two wine trails (Niagara Wine Trail to the west and the Finger Lakes Wine Trails ~ 1 hr to the east). They both have world class wines, but most are on the sweet side. I prefer a smooth dry red merlot (never seems to take much arm twisting to drink other varieties though). My favorite, shown below is a Barolo (Italian red) made at a business here in Rochester where you make your own wine. After lots of sampling, I settled on the Barolo. Unfortunately, only made 36 bottles and supplises are running low. Will have to sample and make more (its a tough life).
Dan something caught my eye . Rochester . You live in New York . Are we talking about Rochester,New York ? Both myself and Linda were born in Rochester at St Mary's . Both still have family there . After the war our parent's moved West to California . Our families worked of course at Kodak and lived near by . You make your own wine ? Wow . Pat
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #11

New York
Small World

Small world. Unfortunately Kodak is but a shell of what it use to be (when is the last time you took a photo with film) and St. Mary's is no longer a hospital . Rochester is evolving with the times. Had a chance to take the family on a 52 day trip across the country in 07. Visited many national parks. Absolutely loved California (minus the traffic near L.A.). Saw a lot, but also know we missed a lot. Can not wait to get back out there.

As far as wine making, the business here in Rochester does most the work. We just did a lot of tasting, picked the one we wanted and mixed in the grape juice, oak chips etc. Later you stop back and do the filtering then of course the sampling and bottling.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Small world. Unfortunately Kodak is but a shell of what it use to be (when is the last time you took a photo with film) and St. Mary's is no longer a hospital . Rochester is evolving with the times. Had a chance to take the family on a 52 day trip across the country in 07. Visited many national parks. Absolutely loved California (minus the traffic near L.A.). Saw a lot, but also know we missed a lot. Can not wait to get back out there.

As far as wine making, the business here in Rochester does most the work. We just did a lot of tasting, picked the one we wanted and mixed in the grape juice, oak chips etc. Later you stop back and do the filtering then of course the sampling and bottling.
Dan what is now St. Mary's ?we know about Kodak . There are still some filmmakers that want this film for their movies only Kodak developed. Every time at the end of a film and see Kodak it is a thrill . We don't care for LA either . We live outside in a little more rural area . Interesting the wine making . Pat
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Hello Rochester..

I saw Rochester NY and thought fondly of the mid '90s when I used to go to travel from Madison Wisc. to Delphi on Lysle Ave in Rochester...spent many of weeks there.

I always Remember getting in late evenings and going to Nick Tahoes for garbage plates. My wife and I even drove out there for the Lilac festival just to get a garbage plate....lol.

There was a micro brewery downtown on the Genese that we used to like..what a small world.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

New York
Linda and Pat,

St. Mary's has changed hands a few times within the health care industry. Still houses medical offices and such but no longer a hospital in the traditional sense. Billie your right Nick Tahoes garbage plate is a Rochester tradition just a stones throw or two away from St. Mary's. Visited the Lilac Festival last year. Loved the lilacs did not like the $50 parking ticket, small price to pay for soaking up the lilacs.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Dan,

That is a nice job you have done with the build-out.

It appears in your photos in post #5 that there is a lower vent for the frig, but not an upper vent. If that is a Dometic or Norcold frig, you will need an upper vent for warm air to flow and exhaust out, otherwise the heat from the frig will build up and have a difficult time cooling. You may want to check the installation manual to be sure.

If that is not a regular frig or the vent just didn't show in the photo, then Never Mind!

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #16

New York
Used dometic fridge

Jim,

Picked up a never been used dometic 3 way fridge on craigslist for $250. A technology teacher who was going to use it for his off the grid camp in Ontario, had it. He has created so much wattage from solar he was able to power a full size fridge. I do have it vented up top. My brother is a sheet metal worker so was able to get me some stainless steel I used as a back panel from the fridge to the upper vent out the roof. I have run the propane line, but have not tested on propane yet. When it gets warmer, I will get out there and check the lines with soap and water for leaks. Brother also got me a 2 x 7 ft stainless steel panel to wrap around front dinette. Then used some composite trim panels along the edge. Then a trusted friend, painters caulks.

Thanks

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150730_072735119.jpg   IMG_20150730_073936544.jpg  

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Dan,

OK, now I see it when I know what to look for. Your's is the first top venting system I have seen in a Scamp, especially using stainless. Nothing like top-rate materials for a top rate installation.
Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp