20 lb. Propane Tank Exchange - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Name: Mike
Trailer: In the market
20 lbs.

Originally Posted by George Cathcart View Post
AP is carrying a story that major suppliers of 20 lb. exchange tanks available at groceries and home supply stores are not filling them with as much propane as they did a few months ago. Typically, they used to fill to 17 or 18 lbs. Now they're filling with only about 15 lbs. (20 lb. tanks should never be filled to 20 lbs.) The article specifically refers to Blue Rhino and Amerigas in regard to this practice, but implied that others are following their lead. These are the two brands that I see in almost any retail outfit where exchange tanks are sold.

This apparently is not illegal, since the vendor does not state the amount of liquid there is in the exchange container. Blue Rhino and Amerigas are doing almost the same thing as a lot of food suppliers, reduce the size so they don't have to increase the price.

Just one more reason why I have my original tanks refilled at the local farmers' co-op. I'd prefer to have a full tank rather than one which is already 15% depleted. At least locally, refilling is much cheaper than the exchange tanks anyway.
-You *can* fill a 20 lb cylinder to 20 lbs. That is what it's designed for. I own a cylinder delivery company.

Fire code book states that LP gas weighs 4.2 lb per gallon. Therefore, you can expect to get 4.76 gallons of propane per 20# cylinder.

Now, I will say that the shut off safety float at the bottom of the valve may malfunction from time to time leaving you will 1-2 less lbs of propane, OR air can cause to much pressure built up in the tank so this can result in a slow fill or a fill that falls short of 20 lbs.

But in cases 9 times out of 10, my tanks are filled to 20#.

qipKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
It's always a good idea to notice the date on a post you are responding to. Although your information is helpful, the topic and previous reply just had a 5th birthday party.

I have put up a few posts and still do the same thing myself.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Bob, why is posting to an old thread a problem?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Posting to old threads isn't a "Problem". It was just a general suggestion to new members to note the last date on a thread they are adding information onto.

Had it been Betty the Trailer Owner looking for a window gasket, a reply 5 years later might not have been much help. Moreover, had it been an FGRV For Sale Ad that was a year old, out of date replies just takes up space in the recent discussions queue that might be better used, as does this one.......

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote