20 Mule Team Borax - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Yes they still make Borax. The product is used in TV,Computer, and telephone screens. Their are two mines that supply the world with product. One is at Boron,California just off I-40 in the desert. The other mine is in South America. When you see containers on a train or ship with the words K-LINE they are carrying Borax.
Although K Line does move Borax out of California they are a global shipping company that owns many ships both container and bulk. In my professional carrier I have dealt with them many times and as such I am aware they also have container contracts with large companies such as Walmart, Target, Honda and Toyota to name just a few. They move hundreds of thousands of containers a year for those company's. Most of the Borax that K-Line moves is shipped in bulk using specially designed rail cars that some call Hoppers and unlike a standard shipping container they have openings at the top and the bottom to allow the Borax to be poured in and and out of it. It is usually loaded into the holds of bulk vessels using a conveyor or pneumatic system. K Line also has a large number of bulk vessels that call into North America that may actually be coal, pulp & paper or grain carriers. They also have special car carrier vessels that could be bringing you your new Audi or BMW.

If I was a betting person I would bet that a container I saw on a rail spur in the US with the K-Lines name on it actually contained my next Iphone, TV or parts for your car or trailer over Borax.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Now that's something I'm going to have to try out. Wow! and by the way what is a Buffalo Plaid?

Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
In Death Valley, past Furnace Creek, there is a site where Borax was mined and they have the old rail cars and wagons from way back.

Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Now that's something I'm going to have to try out. Wow! and by the way what is a Buffalo Plaid?
A primarily red and black "flannel" pattern worn by the original settlers of our nation.... Google Buffalo Plaid.... step back into history....
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Another little known use for borax is as a preservative in the taxidermy industry. Up until the mid-1900's arsenic was used to preserve the skins of birds and small animals. Someone discovered that borax worked as well without the toxicity issues. Use of arsenic in taxidermy shops soon ceased. Straight borax and borax-based preservatives are still widely used in bird taxidermy. It not only dries and preserves the skins, but allegedly repels insects on mounted birds.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Borax makes a good insecticide for various "creepy crawlies" in the home and garden.
How to Use Borax to Get Rid of Ants and Cockroaches
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Actually 18 mules and two horses according Wikipedia. Very interesting article on a unique and short-lived freight carrying rig.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote