2000 Watt Yamaha vs Honda side by side - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite (hull #3)
A webinar presented by Yamaha's Colin Iwasa compares Yamaha to Honda point by point. It is a quite revealing look at the cost, performance and longlivity.
Click the link, enter a name, ect. then enter the pass code which is: 55218
The main focus is on the 2000 watt generators which is where many molded fiberglass Rv'ers want to be at for maximum efficiency.
Here is a copy of the email I recieved, the clickable link and passcode are in it:
>
We've been busy getting our new generator for market.
I think you'll like it.

Yamaha is pleased to introduce our light weight, quiet and powerful EF2000iS generator.
Click on the link to view a 15 minute model introduction with slides and narration.
Passcode: 55218
https://cc.callinfo.com/play?id=o6bt8xu0
EDIT: link quit working, tried to repair, no luck
Larry Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It will be interesting to see some reviews of it. It does look as good, or a wee bit better then the Honda.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #3

Here is a graphic with the main points for those whose line speeds won't permit streaming down a webinar:
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Larry, you may want to increase the size of that.

One interesting point is that they stress that without doubling up the generators, it won't run RV A/C units. I imagine they are covering their butts though, and it should run some of the smaller ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
The webinar fails to mention the difference in warranty. Honda - 3 years and Yamaha - 2 years.

And probably the most important difference, at least for my wife, one is red and the other is blue.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Jim, sorry about the graphic size, i've tried, but I guess I don't know how to make it larger.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #7

Another try at resize:
Edit:
OOPZ SORRY, can't get it.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Too bad they didn't add an option to hook up an external fuel tank. (Outboard motor tank) I like to run an elec. heater at night and hate getting up in the middle of the night to refuel.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm not particularly interested in participating in an email address harvesting scheme, but if it's put on by a Yamaha representative (based on Larry's information) why wouldn't I take all or most of it with a grain of salt?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Thanks for sharing Larry, you're right the link is kaput!

If there's a sure way to start up a thread it's talking about generators and or undersized tow vehicles. Sometimes in the same thread!

We're thinking of buying a 3000 watt generator [probably Honda] simply to have more than enough power for those times we may want to push the power demand.

We considered buying and daisy chaining 2 Honda EU's [at] 2000 watts each when the demand is there, breaking it down to a smaller footprint when it's not, but it seems that not all country standards codes allow the sale of the equipment necessary to daisy chain multiple generators together the way Honda advertises it can be done.
....You know anything about that?

Mike
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

Sorry, Mike, I don't know about paralleling generators, I went the overkill route with a 3000 watt genset.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Simplistic version is that Canadian grounding codes won't allow the wiring needed to connect two inverter-based generators in parallel, so the Canadian versions are wired differently -- US also has the same code but applies only to commercial sites and the slightly larger generators, with the 1KW -2KW generators being classed as personal, or something and apparently not subject to that code provision.

BTW, I wouldn't call it Daisy Chain because that implies Serial, not Parallel (which it is). Can only be done with a few generators and they must be alike.

Anyone interested in learning more will have to consult one of the generator forums.

Solution is to buy the generator(s) in the US to get US-specific model(s).

I'd bet the link doesn't work because the comparison was likely intended for ad hoc use by Yamaha, not for public release (Hence the pass code...).

Lots of schemes to build/attach larger capacity tanks or to convert to LP for longer running times.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
BTW, I wouldn't call it Daisy Chain because that implies Serial, not Parallel
I stand in awe of your depth of knowledge on many subjects Pete. Thanks for clearing that up and answering my question..

Mike
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #14

Pete D said:
I'd bet the link doesn't work because the comparison was likely intended for ad hoc use by Yamaha, not for public release (Hence the pass code...).
>
You know, i'll bet that's right ! Man, the things a old geezer can get into when pokeing around the web ! I'll bet that when folks started logging into the link it supprised them and they pulled it down.