2006 Casita - average selling price is????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
2006 Casita - average selling price is?????

Just wondering what I can expect to pay for a nice looking Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 footer in excellent condition???
Thanks
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi Karalyn - you might get some info by perusing (or searching: use the FiberglassRV-dedicated Google search) the Archive of our for sale ads...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Besides the classifieds on this site Here's a list of Sold Casita's from a pretty good site for fiberglass trailers.
Joe

Sold Caita's:
Casita Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"Average" is so very subjective. A used Casita would (probably) sell for less near Rice, Texas and a bunch more in New York or Florida.

I think you'd be better off deciding exactly how much money you're willing to spend and then search for a trailer in that price range.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I see trailers in low to high ranges for the same yr and model. You are right Donna in that they are usually a little cheaper in the area they are made because of supply and demand. Maybe a trip to Texas is in order after Christmas to get me a used Casita and enjoy the warm sunshine at the same time.
I should have kept my last Casita but hubby talked me into selling it. I really do not want to spend over $10,000 if I can help it. I should be able to find something well cared for in that range. I just prefer the Casita bathroom over the Scamp due to my height (5'2"). I can not reach the Scamp toilet easily and do not see how kids can reach the toilet in a Scamp without a stool of some type. There are pluses and minuses to each of those brands, but somehow fell in love with the Casita.
I may actually like the door latches on the older Casitas better too. They seem to work easier for me.
I will continue dreaming for now. Thanks everyone
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Options can be a factor in price too. But I'll throw out a number... I would think that a typical '06 would go for around $12K from what I've seen.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
There is an issue of real value vs perceived value that's way out of wack these days. It's not just in used car prices, but TT, homes, microphones, and just about everything!

To sanity check value you can do two things:

* Call your bank and tell them that you want to borrow $12,000 or whatever the asking price is for the unit. They'll come back and tell you that the most they'll give your for THAT unit is $8250. $8250 + a percentage based on your credit rating is the real value that unit.

* Call your insurance company and ask them to speak to an adjuster. Ask the adjuster how much they'd pay out for a rig that cost you $12k used, but in excellent condition if it were totaled. They'll hem-n-haw and finally tell you $4500-6000 based on what they find. The rigs real value is $4500-6000.

The trick in buying one of these things is to minimize the difference between the asking price and the real value. You are on the hook for the difference.

Keep in mind that most people who purchased anything in the better economy of 4 years ago is woefully upside-down on most of their purchases. Even when their asking price is VERY LOW based on their situation, it puts YOU upside-down because YOU are taking their burden of debt.

Travel trailers are not an investment. If you live and travel in a TT enough, you can recover your cost plus because you lived in it. However, the TT itself is never an investment.

In a sane world, a 5 year old, never sold TT would sell for 60-70 percent of its new value - maybe much less because it is unconsumed inventory and costs money to hold; the same TT used by a family and kept in tip-top condition is probably worth 40-50% of the original price. Of course, this bears no resemblance to the used market that we see today where some people try to sell their used TTs at thousands higher than the original price. Unless installed by the factory or a recognized professional of the industry, improvements add no value and are often a liability when the electrical system is involved.

The conflict is based on the value of use to a prospective buyer. In the case of the 5 year old TT above, a full timer could recover the difference through use; the weekender can only recover the value through enjoyment of the TT and the cost of that enjoyment is very high.

So when someone wants to sell you a well-loved, entirely-stock, 28 year old TT, what is its real value?

NADA doesn't go back that far, but for the oldest unit that they list, the average retail was $1050; the seller's asking price was $7000.

As much as I would like to buy that TT, I cannot carry $6k of risk. Would you?

Derived from lessons from my father; no damned wonder that I am such a curmudgeon!!!
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With things that last a long time, selling price and a new purchase price do not translate as it would for some other items.

We bought an imperfect 25 years old trailer for $900 that cost $2600 new.

As well I suspect that many people on this site sell their old trailers for more than they paid for them (because they have increased value). Some things hold value and a few increase in value.

We sold our motorhome last month. AS the couple that bought it began to drive a way the wife rolled down her window and shouted "buy used".

Good luck in your search

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
In a sane world, a 5 year old, never sold TT would sell for 60-70 percent of its new value - maybe much less because it is unconsumed inventory and costs money to hold; the same TT used by a family and kept in tip-top condition is probably worth 40-50% of the original price. Of course, this bears no resemblance to the used market that we see today where some people try to sell their used TTs at thousands higher than the original price. Unless installed by the factory or a recognized professional of the industry, improvements add no value and are often a liability when the electrical system is involved.

The conflict is based on the value of use to a prospective buyer. In the case of the 5 year old TT above, a full timer could recover the difference through use; the weekender can only recover the value through enjoyment of the TT and the cost of that enjoyment is very high.

So when someone wants to sell you a well-loved, entirely-stock, 28 year old TT, what is its real value?

NADA doesn't go back that far, but for the oldest unit that they list, the average retail was $1050; the seller's asking price was $7000.
The only time anyone should ever consider NADA pricing is when they're buying... never selling. And anyone that's been around molded trailers for any length of time knows you can't compare stick builts to molded in any way shape or form. We've seen 30+ year old molded trailers that sold fairly recently for 2-3 times what they sold for new. There are few stick built trailers that can say that.

It appears Steve you're coming from and looking at a stick built world with stick built education and you may be very disappointed in the buying molded process.

Hang around, we'll educate you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
With things that last a long time, selling price and a new purchase price do not translate as it would for some other items.
Ahhhhhh, but TTs don't last a long time. Houses last much longer and have far fewer component failures as they age. But as they age they LOSE value even in a good economy. The exception has always been the castles of the rich and famous and waterfront property.

Egg-type fiberglass trailers last much longer than most TTs, but they do not last a long time without diligent care and professional inspection.

It goes without saying that the appliances in older rigs will fail, so buying used assumes that liability. But there are many more essential components that are likely to fail. The under-carriage of the Egg-type TTs rust, welds fail, axles suffer fatigue, springs sag, and so forth depending on the rig. Most owners have not had these components professionally evaluated and very few are qualified to make an assessment themselves. The scariest thing about some units is that construction-grade plywood rather than marine-grade is sandwiched in the floor between layers of fiberglass. Any fiberglass crack in the lower portion of such units sends water to the lowest point of the shell and the floor rots unseen to the owner, buyer, or even the inspector because you need to drill holes to find it. This particular issue threatens rigs using that construction technique at any age. In a warm, wet climate such damage cold destabilize a TT in a few months.

Anyone ready to take the bridge yet?

All of that understood, I am still looking at egg-type trailers because even with all of those woes listed above, a buyer is more likely to get a good one even if it is older through the blessings of blind luck.

As a professional curmudgeon, I understand this, shake my head and look at the marketplace that is insanely out of wack - even in a less than stellar economy with terribly high fuel costs impinging on travel.

BTW - Thanks for the well-wishes for my TT search. Knowing what I know about RVs, boats, and electrical systems causes me sleepless nights. If you need someone to worry an issue for you, I'm for hire at very extravagant rates

PS - Donna, most of what I know came from being a professional sailor. I also spent 4 years working on fiberglass yachts.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #11

Old fiberglass trailers like bolers,casita and the rest are more like collector items and that's where the value comes in...... If you was to depreciate "old" like kelly blue book does i wonder what they would price certain items like a 66'gto or a 66'chevelle ss or a 57 chevy convertible or a 32'ford or a 1930's Indian motorcycle......insurance companies would never give you what they are sold for in real life as you would have to get and prove a special appraisal...... I'm not trying to argumentive but it took me three years of looking for an egg and i paid $5800 for a 1994 one in excellent shape but the insurance company won't give me squat when i try to insure it so i just go with the flow if i want a collector piece and take my chances and not park where a tree can fall on it if i can help it........ Am i nervous about losing it "Yes" if "no" then buy a cheap built stickie..... This is just my opinion and others will definitely have different opinions which i can accept
Joe
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #12

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Old fiberglass trailers like bolers,casita and the rest are more like collector items and that's where the value comes in......

...insurance companies would never give you what they are sold for in real life as you would have to get and prove a special appraisal...

I'll buy that, Joe. While Airstreams have established their collectibility throughout a long history, claiming collectibility strikes me as new for the egg-style TTs, or I would have heard about it during my FT days.

As for the insurance requiring a special appraisal, that's just the game they play. If you want to insure a pristine old sports car, you get it appraised by an approved appraiser. It would be interesting to know if such appraisers give credibility to the collectibility of egg-type TTs.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"Average" is so very subjective. A used Casita would (probably) sell for less near Rice, Texas and a bunch more in New York or Florida.
or BC where Casita's and Scamps are considered rare so the few that do get sold here sell for a lot more than in any US state. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
As for the insurance requiring a special appraisal, that's just the game they play. If you want to insure a pristine old sports car, you get it appraised by an approved appraiser. It would be interesting to know if such appraisers give credibility to the collectibility of egg-type TTs.
All I know is every year my insurance company suggests I drop the value of my trailer by 20% (which is what they do with stick trailers). Every year I show them current sale ads and they leave the value as is.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
All I know is every year my insurance company suggests I drop the value of my trailer by 20% (which is what they do with stick trailers). Every year I show them current sale ads and they leave the value as is.
Your lucky..... they won't do that for me. In Arizona they do a depreciation from the motor vehicle depts listings value
Joe
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #16

Quote:
I'll buy that, Joe. While Airstreams have established their collectibility throughout a long history, claiming collectibility strikes me as new for the egg-style TTs, or I would have heard about it during my FT days.
I felt the same way as i've never even seen a fiberglass egg when i lived in south jersey...... the more i looked the more i realized people collected these things,I was surprised but had to have one and i had plenty of stickies and park models. I pulled into a small campground in Northern pa and people where all over us to look at it.
Joe
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Your lucky..... they won't do that for me. In Arizona they do a depreciation from the motor vehicle depts listings value
Joe
Not sure I call it lucky as they do charge extra for it! :-)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #18

That's funny...... I was stuck in Pa now i'm stuck in Az too but i don't care..... I like these trailers.
Joe
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only time anyone should ever consider NADA pricing is when they're buying... never selling. And anyone that's been around molded trailers for any length of time knows you can't compare stick builts to molded in any way shape or form. We've seen 30+ year old molded trailers that sold fairly recently for 2-3 times what they sold for new. There are few stick built trailers that can say that.

It appears Steve you're coming from and looking at a stick built world with stick built education and you may be very disappointed in the buying molded process.

Hang around, we'll educate you
Great post!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita