2007 Toyota Tundra - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Trailer Life article
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I had a good look at the new Tundra when it arrived. I like a lot about the design, but this is aimed at the "full-size half-ton" gas engine market (Chev/GM 1500, part of Ford F150 range), and I agree that it is overkill for trailers which weigh one or two tons. I currently have no use for a truck this size. Maybe the Bigfoot owners among us are interested?

One note: while the Trailer Life article refers to the V6 engine carried over from the previous generation, the 2007 is available in Canada only with the V8 engines (the 4.0L V6 is shown on the U.S. Toyota website). And the CrewMax (biggest cab) isn't available until next month.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Bryon and Pete. I agree with the overkill for small trailers. I have an 03 tundra auto with AT. And towing pkg. This truck does double duty by pulling small campers and also as a work truck for hauling wood while pulling another load of wood on a trailer. I find that its nice to have the power when you need it. Tho it costs more for fuel it really comes in handy for heavy work when needed. I still use it for pulling campers and also for regular running about. Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I looked at the new Tundra while having the ball joint recall done on my '02 Tundra 6 cyl. It's just another heavy duty half-ton. The interior looks a lot like the F150 interior. I really don't care much for the styling. I don't care for the F150 styling either. I wasn't impressed. The Tundra market was the not-quite full size, but bigger than the small trucks which was exactly what I wanted and got. I love mine! Had I gotten the V8, it had a tow capacity of 6500 lbs. which would have been more than sufficient even for my 25' Bigfoot.

I should mention that I also loved my '97 T100, especially the styling, but the ride of the '02 Tundra is soooo much better.

Other than Toyota's reliability, I don't see it being different from any of the other trucks in its size. Frankly, if I wanted a truck that size I'd go to Ford or Chevy for the diesels. Did I mention it's a nice truck, but I wasn't impressed?

I hope that folks with '06s just trade them in like crazy for the next couple of years so when I'm ready, the market will be flooded with inexpensive '06s for me to choose from.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I just found an 01 Tundra with 10,000 miles and snagged it.
It is the V6 basic work truck and I got rid of an F150 to get it.
I really liked the F150 which I bought last summer to pull a Scamp 19 (which fell through for some reason).

I think the Toyota is soooooo much nicer than the Ford even at the base level of my Tundra.
I am not sure if I will tow with it or stick with the Land Cruiser so Roger I am interested in your towing experience if you have used the Tundra.

I have two clients that own/run two different Toyota dealerships here and they are having a difficult time moving the new Tundra.
The niche Toyota had with the first one is no longer theirs with the new one either in Price/Quality or size and people are just not buying the new ones.
One of them has only sold 1 since they got them but they are trading them to other dealers so the inventory is moving

I wonder why they try to fix it if it ain't broke?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I think the Tundra's are really classy PU... not only classy but ride like a cadallac... i had the 4.0 V8 for ashort time, but found it to be way to much truck for me....
but they are an overkill I will agreeeunless your pulling some big trailer .....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I just found an 01 Tundra with 10,000 miles and snagged it.
It is the V6 basic work truck

I think the Toyota is soooooo much nicer than the Ford even at the base level of my Tundra.
I am not sure if I will tow with it or stick with the Land Cruiser so Roger I am interested in your towing experience if you have used the Tundra.

I wonder why they try to fix it if it ain't broke?
They're after the Ford/Chevy heavy-half ton market. I don't know whether they'll be able to crack that or not. It'll be interesting to see.

I've towed my 17' Bigfoot with my 3.4L 6 cyl access cab 4WD auto truck and it does a nice job. I've even towed the 25' Bigfoot with it to see how it would do, and the little truck acquitted itself nicely with the 25' in tow. I'm not sure I'd tackle the Colorado Rockies with it, but on the relative flats around here it wasn't a fireball, but it was more than adequate.

I think you'll be pleased with yours.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I bought a 2006 Pre-Runner, just a little smaller than the Tundra. It has a 4L V6 and great suspension. Toyotas are really a quality product. I guess that is why they will soon be, if not already the #1 vehicle manufacture. Mine rides and drives excellent. It tows 3500/6500 lbs depending if you get the tow package. Pretty cool for a V6. The resale value is great as well.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #9

For those who are not Toyota fanatics, I believe that the Pre-Runner was a variation of the Tacoma, Toyota's smaller pickup truck. While it is "just a little smaller" than the 2006 Tundra, it's a bunch smaller than the 2007 Tundra - and my guess is closer to the right size for most of our trailers.

This year, there is no Pre-Runner (which as I recall was supposed to be in the style of the vehicles used by off-road racers to "pre-run" the course before the race), but there is an X-Runner (which is a street performance truck, if you can believe that).

No similar variations in the new Tundra... yet.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #10

Looks like they still make them to me?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/tacoma...double_cab.html

127.8 inch wheelbase on the access cab like mine.

2007 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
Fun and Good Looks

By Keith Burton

Toyota’s popular Tacoma pickup is certainly a hit for the company. Here’s a midsize pickup truck that has a roomy interior, rugged but attractive styling and serious power when equipped with the available V6. It is also available in a standard cab, access cab and double cab configurations for when you need to carry more inside.

Our test vehicle was a brilliant blue Tacoma with the available Pre-Runner offroad package with the double cab. Hey, let me tell you, this is a pickup truck that draws plenty of compliments and is fun to drive.

The Pre-Runner Tacoma looks like a 4x4 version. That is, you get the high-up suspension and many of the upgraded features when you get one with the quad cab configuration. But you don’t get four wheel drive. Instead, you get a lock up rear differential that is controlled by a button on the dash. But just in case you think that you are missing too much with this version, with the lock up rear axle, you can go most everywhere that a most people would take a pickup truck, except for deep mud or deep and loose sand. Okay, you might get it stuck, but not often.

What you do get is a pickup truck that has a lot of room and style, which are big pluses for most suburbanites who need a powerful midsize pickup with room to carry five adults.

The interior is nicely styled with a real sport flair. The instrument cluster is within three deep nacelles and clearly marked. The center stack contains all the additional controls and they are within each reach of the driver, another plus. The bucket seats are also well formed and comfy for those long commutes to the job in the city.

For a pickup truck with an off-road suspension, the PreRunner is quite compliant, soaking up most small bumps without jittering the cockpit too much. You are always aware that the truck is after all, a truck, but it won’t beat you up on most road surfaces. Steering is light but feedback is adequate to let you keep the Tacoma between the lines.

Our truck was equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission. We found this an ideal solution for most conditions, especially within heavy stop and go traffic. The tranny shifts almost imperceptivity and is a nice match to the powerful 4-liter, 236 horsepower V6. This engine has great torque, at 266 ft. pounds, and launches quickly from a stop light.

If you order the quad cab version, expect a pretty big truck. It isn’t as big as a full size truck, but this is not the tiny Toyota trucks of yore. The truck is available with either a short or long bed out back. The long bed version of the Double Cab stretches the wheelbase to just over 141 inches. Getting into some parking lots means some extra maneuvering as the turning radius suffers a bit with such a long vehicle.

We liked the hot-looking hood scoop that is centered on the Tacoma’s hood. It really adds a sporting look to this pickup truck, which makes it stand out among its competitors. Actually, this Tacoma competes better with some full-size trucks for interior room and general size. Ford’s Ranger and Chevy’s small Colorado doesn’t come close. The Tacoma is more competitive with the midsize Dodge Dakota.

Towing capacity is limited to 3,500 pounds with the V6 unless you get the towing package that includes a fitted hitch. Then you can tow up to 6,500 pounds.

Fuel mileage always depends on how you drive and if you are towing a trailer. But the EPA rates the Tacoma PreRunner at 18 city, 22 hwy. We averaged around 19 miles per gallon in a combination of city and highway driving.

Overall, the 2007 Toyota Tacoma is hard to beat, it is more expensive than some of the other midsize trucks, but you get a lot for the money as well as a truck that looks sharp, well-built, and performs the way a pickup truck should.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #11

Gary, I checked both Canadian and US Toyota web sites and didn't see the Pre-Runner. I just re-checked the Canadian site, and it's nowhere in the models, features, or options; instead, the offroad package is identifed as TRD (Toyota Racing Development, but it's not actually race-prepared).

From Toyota US, the Pre-Runner is an option package within the listed non X-Runner models of the Tacoma, and I just missed it because it is not it's own model. Sorry. Anyway, the point is it's a Tacoma.

If you like this high-suspension 2WD format, the Frontier used to be done that way as well... I don't know if they do anymore. The X-Runner is the other extreme - a lower-riding truck.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #12

Yes, it is a Tacoma but not like a regular standard Tacoma. I just sold my Tacoma which really isn't much of a truck at all. I was totally surprised at the Pre-Runner. At first I thought just another hype. Then I crawled under it and was amazed it actually is a TRUCK, meaning the suspension is great and I really like the wheelbase length. The other item that sold me is the power of the 4L V6. My Tacoma never had any passing acceleration. The Pre-Runner really gets up and goes!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My pal at work, who talked me into buying a Casita (well, he showed me the one he bought and it sold me on fiberglass trailers) just got a new Toyota Tundra. Yes, it's overkill, but they sure are nice! A typical overconsuming American, I want one!

His has the heavy-duty towing package...all the bells and whistles. He wanted it when he and his wife decided to go back to Yellowstone this summer (they went last year, too). I don't have any trouble at all pulling my Casita with my V6 Nissan Frontier, but it sure would be nice to have that V8 power. To that end, I'm going to shop around and look at both a Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra before I make my own trip to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone in 2008.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you are purchasing a vehicle for the sole purpose of towing the egg, then the Tundra, Silverado Crew Cab, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, etc and other large ride in luxury vehicle and/or trucks are overkill.

When you want to ride in complete comfort, purchase the vehicle that best accommodates your likes and if you so happen to have a small egg, tow it with the vehicle. If the vehicle also has a tow package and is able to tow heaver campers, you are already set should you decide to move from the egg to something larger.

It’s great to have the freedom to choose.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
I tow with a VW Touareg V8. It has 310 HP, it is way more than adquate for my 17 ft. Bigfoot. Going up to the tunnels on I-70 in Colorado I could and did maintain speed limit. Now VW has reintroduced the V-10 diesel in model yr. 06 & 07. They are very fast, get fuel mpg in the 20's and currently being offered for sale at anywhere between 10,000 to 15,000 grand off. There is a very impressive diesel V-6 which will probably come in the '08 facelift model. Some Colorado members drove it two Summers ago on a high country Jeep trip around Western Colo. They all raved about it and still do. MPG in the high 20's very good power band once the turbo spooled up. All these models have a 7,700 towing limit, VW doesn't recommend a load leveling system when the cars have a air ride self leveling system. There is nothing to compare to the ride quality of these beasts.

If you are in the market for a V-10 diesel, 15 G's off is teriffic.
JOHN PAUL EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote