2008 Bigfoot 25FQ - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Thanks Donna. It looks like we'll just miss them!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I wonder if Bigfoot modifies the frame or tongue for this?

Whatever the pros and cons of having an extension and box, if there is going to be one, it would probably be better as a factory option than an owner modification.

Aesthetics are personal thing. I think it's done about as well as one can expect, but is not an improvement in appearance. It really doesn't matter what I think of the appearance of someone else's trailer...
++++++++++++++++++++
Brian:

I gather that the frame is two feet longer that usual, thus the 25 ft model would be 27 ft in length (I would therefore have a longer trailer than Roger, and perhaps the longest of the molded variety ). I believe that the storage box will be an option on the 2500 series, thus may apply to the 17.5 footer, the 21 footer and the 25 footer.

Aesthetics aside, (and perhaps the dubious distinction of the longest rig) I have decided to be conventional ... the 25 FB has a full pass through in the front, plus I will have full storage under the queen front bed. More storage means more gear, more weight etc ...

If any member is going to Osoyoos this week, the model will be on display.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #31

Alberta
I really meant modification of the design (not just the length) of the frame or tongue, such as changing the size of the steel sections or the way the tongue joins the frame. Just stretching, then piling load at the base of the tongue, certainly changes the loads on the structure.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #32

Quote:
I really meant modification of the design (not just the length) of the frame or tongue, such as changing the size of the steel sections or the way the tongue joins the frame. Just stretching, then piling load at the base of the tongue, certainly changes the loads on the structure.
Brian:

I can't answer your question, as I have only seen the photos that I posted, and not the entire trailer or its frame. I could have asked Bigfoot but the though never crossed my mind, however am going with the conventional size anyhow. Thanks for your comments

Rick B
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #33

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
If any member is going to Osoyoos this week, the model will be on display.

We're members, and we attended last year in Rapid City, but British Columbia was just a little too far for us this year... <sigh> I'd have LOVED to have seen this one in person!

Roger
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #34

Quote:
We're members, and we attended last year in Rapid City, but British Columbia was just a little too far for us this year... <sigh> I'd have LOVED to have seen this one in person!

Roger
Roger:

Osoyoos is about a 6 hour drive for me, but I don't got no Bigfoot product as of yet! It is supposed to be completed in about 3 weeks, so I will take lots of photos.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #35

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
--><div class='quotemain'>
Roger:

Osoyoos is about a 6 hour drive for me, but I don't got no Bigfoot product as of yet! It is supposed to be completed in about 3 weeks, so I will take lots of photos.
[/quote]
I love to live vicariously!

Roger
Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Rick, I'd imagine that the 25FQ will be a few more pounds than the RQ because of the additional furniture and perhaps the door hardware, although some of that may be offset by the lack of front window. I'd guess they'll be really close.

Roger
Roger:

I stopped in at Bigfoot yesterday, as my unit was delayed and is now supposed to be off-line this Friday. Anyhow, the unit, with options (but dry) is approximately 5840 lbs. I was advised that for 2008, they have reinforced the frame to allow for an underslung generator option, so your model will be heavier as well. I think the 2008 specs will be on the Bigfoot website in a few weeks.

Rick
Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #37

Alberta
While the Bigfoot 2500 series trailers are tall for eggs, they're still not the towering beasts which have become common in the larger stick-built market; it's hard for me to imagine where a reasonable size of generator could be "under" any part. I suppose it could be in the under-bed storage compartment (which extends well above the floor and frame), in a tray hung off the side of the frame and with a floor supported by crossmembers slung under the frame.

Rick, although I assume you won't have the generator, if the space allocated for it is apparent I would appreciate seeing a picture some time.

With above-freezing temperatures and only a "chance of rain" forecast for the weekend, maybe a camping trip immediately after pickup is possible
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #38

Iowa
--><div class='quotemain'>
Roger:

I stopped in at Bigfoot yesterday, as my unit was delayed and is now supposed to be off-line this Friday. Anyhow, the unit, with options (but dry) is approximately 5840 lbs. I was advised that for 2008, they have reinforced the frame to allow for an underslung generator option, so your model will be heavier as well. I think the 2008 specs will be on the Bigfoot website in a few weeks.

Rick
[/quote]

Sorry to hear you're a week behind... but I'm sure the wait will be worth while. Is yours the first production FB? At 5840 it's almost exactly 500 lbs heavier than the "as equipped" dry weight of my '06 25RQ.

Brian, there is plenty of clearance on the 25' model to undersling a genset. The 25' now comes with three steps to the door rather than the one on the 175 and two on the 21' trailers. The 25' frame is substantially higher off the ground.

Roger
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675_resized.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	10393
Rick
Sorry to hear you're a week behind... but I'm sure the wait will be worth while. Is yours the first production FB? At 5840 it's almost exactly 500 lbs heavier than the "as equipped" dry weight of my '06 25RQ.Roger[/quote]
Roger:

Mine will be one of the first, but Rosman's RV in Vernon has the unit that was at the Osoyoos rally (has the front box on it). The prototype, I believe is at Arbutus RV in Sidney (www.arbutusrv.ca) - select photos are available at this site. On the assembly line Monday was another 25FB. For 2008 even the 25RQ will have a frame suitable for the underslung generator, so some additional weight. Bigfoot did not have any units in stock, but I will take a photo from the underside once I get it.

Brian - I really want to go camping at least one more time this season, as I would like to try it out, before parking it for the weekend - it would be a big investment just sitting

Photo of Rosman's 25FBS attached
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
While the Bigfoot 2500 series trailers are tall for eggs, they're still not the towering beasts which have become common in the larger stick-built market; it's hard for me to imagine where a reasonable size of generator could be "under" any part. I suppose it could be in the under-bed storage compartment (which extends well above the floor and frame), in a tray hung off the side of the frame and with a floor supported by crossmembers slung under the frame.

Rick, although I assume you won't have the generator, if the space allocated for it is apparent I would appreciate seeing a picture some time.

With above-freezing temperatures and only a "chance of rain" forecast for the weekend, maybe a camping trip immediately after pickup is possible
Brian,
I saw a "gen ready" 21' RB (23' with the storage box) at an RV show in Harrisburg, PA last month. The frame for the Onan generator is indeed slung under the trailer frame (forward, right about where the bed would be in the FB model). The factory rep said that it didn't change the clearance.

The model had none of the elsewhere-herein mentioned ballast.

Mike D.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #41

Alberta
Quote:
Brian, there is plenty of clearance on the 25' model to undersling a genset. The 25' now comes with three steps to the door rather than the one on the 175 and two on the 21' trailers. The 25' frame is substantially higher off the ground.
Quote:
The frame for the Onan generator is indeed slung under the trailer frame (forward, right about where the bed would be in the FB model). The factory rep said that it didn't change the clearance.
Thanks for the info.

I had been guessing the floor height at about 24", but maybe it's more like 28" (I have to remember that the 25' is 4" taller than the 21" I've seen)... and I just checked Onan generator specs and found reasonable units shorter (at about 15") than I expected (I was thinking at least 18"). Net result: enough space, if properly done.

The height of these units is unfortunate. As trailers get longer, they get taller so the tail will clear (maintaining the departure angle). Just jacking up the height, instead of more sophisticated methods such as tapering the frame depth or stepping up the rear floor, is the industry norm. The result is a difficult climb for people who have trouble with stairs... which is, ironically, a large part of the RV market. In a motorhome that space underneath is largely "basement" storage, but it is generally unused in trailers.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #42

Alberta
--><div class='quotemain'>... I will take a photo from the underside once I get it.[/quote]
Thanks!

Tags
bigfoot