2008 Bigfoot 25FQ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
After having a number of problems with my stick built 26 foot trailer, I have decided to go back into fibreglass. I hope to retire in a few years and we wanted something comfortable, well-built and hopefully, long-term satisfaction. Having old glass trailers before, I thought I would go with glass again.

About 2 weeks ago, I toured the Bigfoot factory, and was shown the new 25 FB travel trailer under construction, not knowing it existed until then. It has some of the features of the tradition BF design, and is probably built in a similar mould and same chassis as the 25RQ. We have become accustomed to a front queen bed, liking the storage under the bed, and the walk-around feature (I used to have a 17G Bigfoot, and the queen, walk around was welcome). I have also become accustomed to a sofa and dinette, and the 25 FB has both, but you can substitute the U shaped dinette from the 2401 as an option. The 25FB has a rear bath, with a wardrobe in the same area, so a very spacious area. We have also ordered the second outside access door, in the front bed area (negates need for an emergency egress window). Like the 2401 and 2801, the 25FB has a pass thru storage at the very front of the trailer. Unique to this model is no front window, due to the front bed. I was pleased to work with Bigfoot and the dealer with the product, and expecting delivery in late August, early September. I have a floor plan that I should be able to scan and post next week. Basically, the front is queen bed, north-south direction, then the dinette on the left (raised much like the 21F, sofa right, with galley behind, and the rear bath. The 2008 also has full LED exterior lighting.

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Thank You for the report. Please keep posting floor plans and what ever you get.

What kind of tow will you be using?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Thank You for the report. Please keep posting floor plans and what ever you get.

What kind of tow will you be using?
Mike:

I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8, with a 7,000 lb tow capacity with a w/d hitch. It is likely that we will use the other vehicle a 2006 Chev Avalanche. I think Roger H tows with a V6 Tacoma, so maybe the 4Runner will work?

I was able to get the floor plan scanned already, so here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
rick_b_one3.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I think Roger H tows with a V6 Tacoma, so maybe the 4Runner will work?
Rick, just to set the record straight, I tow my 25RQ with an '02 Tundra with a 3.4l V6. I would NOT recommend that anyone else do it. The truck is tow rated at 4800 lbs, and the trailer as equipped is 5300 lbs. The trailer weight is over the rated tow capacity of the Tundra. I use a weight distributing Reese Dual-Cam sway control hitch and a Prodigy brake controller, and have it VERY lightly loaded with NOTHING in the fresh water or holding tanks when I tow it with the Tundra.

I want to be VERY clear that I only use this truck to tow the trailer locally and in a relatively flat areas. The only reason I'm comfortable towing with the Tundra over it's rated capacity is that the same truck frame with the V8 is rated at 6800 lbs towing, so I'm confident I'm not overloading the truck hitch, frame, or axles with the 25RQ. The lower tow rating on the V6 has to do with the smaller engine and lower HP output, but it has the same frame and suspension as the V8 models. I would also say that I would NOT tow the 25RQ with the V6 Tundra any further than about 50 miles from home, nor would I try to tow the 25RQ on anything but relative flatlands with my V6 Tundra. Although it's adequate in the flatlands, it is not (as you'd expect) a ball of fire in the power/acceleration department with the 25RQ attached. I don't tow over 60mph with the Tundra/25RQ combo, I stay off the Interstates, and I don't get in a hurry.

I had a V10 Excursion specifically for towing the 25RQ, and have replaced it with an E450 heavy 1 ton chassis, V10 class C Born Free motorhome with which I intend to pull the 25RQ on anything over a short trip to a local campground.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Rick, just to set the record straight, I tow my 25RQ with an '02 Tundra with a 3.4l V6. I would NOT recommend that anyone else do it.

Roger
++++++++++++++++++

Roger: The weight of the 25FQ is unknown at this time. Even though my 4Runner may be able to tow it, weight wise, I much prefer the Avalanche, as it is a wider body, and I have the CIPA mirrors that I can't get for the 4Runner. The 25FQ is 4 inches wider than my previous trailer, so rear visibility would even be more problematic with the 4Runner, notwithstanding issues with the wheelbase. The Avalanche is more powerful with greater torque as well. I have used the 4Runner for moving the trailer around where I live, as it is more maneuverable than the Avalanche.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #6

Rick, Thanks for the floor plan and the discussion. As we get closer to retiring we are looking at a 25’ BigFoot as well.

We just got a truck that can pull the larger trailer.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Rick, Thanks for the floor plan and the discussion. As we get closer to retiring we are looking at a 25’ BigFoot as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Mike

Feel free to ask me any questions, as I have studied the unit quite carefully. It appears that Bigfoot is coming around to new features, such as the gas grill option on the 25. It is a flush mounted fitting inside a locked hatch. As I had the RVQ grill on my previous trailer, it si something I can make use of. The larger hatches in the front, are also worthwhile additions.

Rick
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #8

Would Bigfoot put a standard double bed in the 25 instead of the queen giving more walking room around the bed?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:

Would Bigfoot put a standard double bed in the 25 instead of the queen giving more walking room around the bed?
Mike:

They might, although there may be ample room with the QB, as the trailer is 4 inches wider than my current front QB. You might want to check with Bigfoot. They seemed to be able to work with me on a few details.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #10

Mike, you'd be surprised how much room there will be around the queen in the FB. My queen is east-west and I have an 80" mattress in it, and there's still room to get around it pretty easily on the end. I'd imagine that with it turned north-south, you'll have more room on either side than you really need.

Roger
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #11

--><div class='quotemain'>
Roger: The weight of the 25FQ is unknown at this time. Even though my 4Runner may be able to tow it, weight wise, I much prefer the Avalanche, as it is a wider body, and I have the CIPA mirrors that I can't get for the 4Runner. The 25FQ is 4 inches wider than my previous trailer, so rear visibility would even be more problematic with the 4Runner, notwithstanding issues with the wheelbase. The Avalanche is more powerful with greater torque as well. I have used the 4Runner for moving the trailer around where I live, as it is more maneuverable than the Avalanche.[/quote]
Rick, I'd imagine that the 25FQ will be a few more pounds than the RQ because of the additional furniture and perhaps the door hardware, although some of that may be offset by the lack of front window. I'd guess they'll be really close.

Regarding me towing with my 6cyl Tundra, I just wanted to be really clear that for someone looking to tow a Bigfoot 25, even though I tow with one, a 6cyl Tundra is NOT a good choice.

Roger
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Rick,
Any indication from Bigfoot about new features/redesign on the existing models? We've seen photos of the Xtreme prototype (including an iPod/MP3 interface for the sound system), and I've heard rumors of a platform/box for storage/genset at the front exterior (betweeen the propane tanks and the body?).

Thanks,
Mike
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Is this just another floor plan they are offering or is it replacing the rear bedroom design??

Unlike you, I woiuld prefer the rear bedroom which is not offered in hardly any trailers these days. My reason being that with a front bedroom in a trailer it always puts the bedroom near the roadway when you back in, which is just about every time I park my trailer.

What I liked about the Big Bigfoot was the rear bedroom. Even in my Scamp 13 my bed is in the back away from the roadway.

Diesel trucks cruising through or idling for an eternity in the mornings, drive me crazy in campgrounds. I can't imagine my bed being up front.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #14

Joy, I'd presume that this will be offered as another choice in floorplans. The advantage to a front bedroom (usually) is that if the living room is located in the rear, you'll have a panoramic view of what ever you're backed up into (usually nicer than the road). This new model won't have that either, of course.

Roger
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Joy, I'd presume that this will be offered as another choice in floorplans.
Roger
I believe that they still will offer the 25RQ, as I could have got a RQ, soon to be built, I think as a 2008 model.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #16

Thanks for all the info, I have just been looking at the Bigfoot seriously and I was wishing the 25' had something to sit on besides a dinette. I'd rather have a couch than a dinette anyday. This new floorplan has both. The only thing better would be the view in the back as you mentioned. Guess you have to spend lots of time in the bathroom! How does the 25' tow, is it ok in wind and/or passing semis? We had a 17' Casita and really liked it but want more room. MJ
Mary Jane Svenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, I have just been looking at the Bigfoot seriously and I was wishing the 25' had something to sit on besides a dinette. I'd rather have a couch than a dinette anyday. This new floorplan has both. The only thing better would be the view in the back as you mentioned. Guess you have to spend lots of time in the bathroom! How does the 25' tow, is it ok in wind and/or passing semis? We had a 17' Casita and really liked it but want more room. MJ

MJ, I am not particularly a fan of dinettes either. Our 25RQ has the front couch/table option that I find quite comfortable.

Roger
Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot
--><div class='quotemain'>
I believe that they still will offer the 25RQ, as I could have got a RQ, soon to be built, I think as a 2008 model.
[/quote]

Here are a couple photos from Bigfoot of the 25' FQ

Ron Gove
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01961.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	8852
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01962.jpg  
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #19

Hi Ron:

Are those photos from the Bigfoot factory? If so, it may be the trailer I saw under production a few weeks ago, but still may not be complete. Any more photos?

We ordered a foot shorter awning, so that the front pass-thru storage would not be impeded by the awning arm

Thanks

Rick
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Here are a couple photos from Bigfoot of the 25' FQ
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Ron:

Are those photos from the Bigfoot factory? If so, it may be the trailer I saw under production a few weeks ago, but still may not be complete. Any more photos?

We ordered a foot shorter awning, so that the front pass-thru storage would not be impeded by the awning arm

Thanks

Rick
Yes, these are from Mark Holmes at Bigfoot. Here is one more picture, but not very good

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01963.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	8855
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot