2008 Bigfoot Xtreme Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I just received the RVwest.com May eNewsletter‎, with the following item:
Quote:
[b]2008 BIGFOOT X-TREME TRAILER
Extreme travel
Bigfoot Industries is excited to introduce the all new T17.5GX Xtreme Trailer. The trailer is the first model in the brand new 2008 Bigfoot Xtreme product lineup.
I can't find anything about this on the Bigfoot website, so I can't provide any more information, but I noticed some interesting details:
  • the "Xtreme" designation applies to a "product line"; is this a trim variation, or a replacement of the standard product?
  • the model designation uses a "T" designation, like the existing non-moulded 3000-series models, not the "B" designation of the moulded 2500-series models (the series number is omitted, so the construction is not specified)
  • the image suggests a continuation of the upper-and-lower-shell moulded construction
  • both the featured model (T17.5GX) and the other trailer model in the Xtreme line (T21RBX) appears to correspond to existing moulded products (25G17.5G and 25B21R, so it seems likely that it is only a trim level change, despite the change to the "T" designation
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
This quote from the site makes me think they're trying to appeal to younger buyers -- wealthy 30 year olds (usually an oxymoron). If the BF Sales manager (quoted) has ever attended a fiberglass gathering, he must know that most FG owners are retired or nearly so. The trailer's description makes the changes sound completely superficial.

"The Xtreme Trailer is designed to appeal to the adventurous customer whose lifestyle includes
outdoor extreme activities such as ATVing, motocross, mountain biking or 4x4ing. The durable design of the interior surfaces and fabrics, exterior graphics, all terrain tires and electronic features like I-pod ready stereos with powered subwoofer make this Trailer especially appealing to people who love to play hard."

Eric
not quite retired in Oregon
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

Eric, I agree that this is likely a just a trim revision. The popularity of this type of theme in other types of RV makes it - in my opinion - a reasonable plan by Bigfoot, as long as they retain the standard trim for people who don't want "all terrain tires", although durable fabrics seem like a good idea to me.

If most egg owners are retired or nearly so, I don't fit in, and neither does the young family which sold it to me (they needed more space due to growing kids). Perhaps it's largely the retired and semi-retired who have a chance to get to the fiberglass gatherings? Whether Bigfoot is chasing people who buy these trailers but don't go to gatherings, or ones who don't typically get eggs, it's still worth a try.

I don't know where those 30 year olds get their money, either. I think they borrow it all...
Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Quote:
If most egg owners are retired or nearly so, I don't fit in, and neither does the young family which sold it to me (they needed more space due to growing kids). Perhaps it's largely the retired and semi-retired who have a chance to get to the fiberglass gatherings? Whether Bigfoot is chasing people who buy these trailers but don't go to gatherings, or ones who don't typically get eggs, it's still worth a try.

I don't know where those 30 year olds get their money, either. I think they borrow it all...

Thanks for offering that explanation, which certainly makes sense. My Casita salesman indicated about 3/4 of his buyers were retired. I hope more young families will have the opportunity to enjoy them, as we do.

Eric
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
"The Xtreme Trailer is designed to appeal to the adventurous customer whose lifestyle includes outdoor extreme activities such as ATVing, motocross, mountain biking or 4x4ing.
In other words, BigFoot is going after Southern California's weekend in the desert market. In a word: "Glamis"
It never ceases to amaze me the inventory of vehicles and petroleum products making the pilgrimage on I-10 east out of Los Angeles and I-8 east out of San Diego.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
After a bit of searching, I found these photos of the 17.5' Xtreme travel trailer:

http://www.rosmanrv.com/bigfoot/trailers/x...ot_trailer.html

I must be getting older. While the options (e.g., iPod interface) seems interesting, the cosmetics are horrible - too many darn Bigfoot decals and pointless graphics, and lousy interior colors.

For what it's worth, I also heard that the non-Xtreme line will include some new features/options (e.g., a wired generator box at the front)

Mike
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
After a bit of searching, I found these photos of the 17.5' Xtreme travel trailer:

http://www.rosmanrv.com/bigfoot/trailers/x...ot_trailer.html

I must be getting older. While the options (e.g., iPod interface) seems interesting, the cosmetics are horrible - too many darn Bigfoot decals and pointless graphics, and lousy interior colors.

For what it's worth, I also heard that the non-Xtreme line will include some new features/options (e.g., a wired generator box at the front)
Mike
Whoaaa...those are some bright colors. Now where is the bed that will comfortably sleep 2 adults? If Casita and Scamp and Escape can do it in a 17', I would really be excited to see Bigfoot do some reengineering to make it happen in theirs. And have an option to raise the axles and hitch so that those of us who would like to backroad can do so. I am 39 and wasn't born with a silver spoon in any orifice, so I have been saving up a long time and buying a TT is a huge investment which I take very seriously.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Must say that if they are trying to appeal to 30 year olds it may be working, cause I'm over 50 and it doesn't appeal to me.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Gee I think it looks great! I don't like the exterior decals, but the interior is nice, and the LED marker lights are super! I also like the nets that serve to contain cabinet contents. Nice touch - simple, lightweight and effective. I agree however that the great failing of the Bigfoot is the small beds. That interior looks good to me though! Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #10

Thanks for the link, Mike. Clearly, this is the 2500 series, in a new trim version.
  • I hate the decals, but would be optimistic that they would come off
  • The roof rail thing is bizarre - surely they don't expect you to walk around up there, and it's a lousy storage location, so why lug that huge structure around? The part down the front looks like an especially useless way to add weight, drag, and wind noise... but maybe they think it will make a good brush guard for the off-roaders?
  • the red isn't my favourite but the interior is fine with me otherwise
  • alloy wheels are good but even the non-Extreme has alloys available, and those tires don't look very functional
Still no sign of this package on the Bigfoot web site.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
...And have an option to raise the axles and hitch so that those of us who would like to backroad can do so...
Comparing the new photos and the standard product on the Bigfoot web site, it looks like the Extreme sits much higher, by several inches. Isn't that tall enough?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Mike. Clearly, this is the 2500 series, in a new trim version.
  • I hate the decals, but would be optimistic that they would come off
  • The roof rail thing is bizarre - surely they don't expect you to walk around up there, and it's a lousy storage location, so why lug that huge structure around? The part down the front looks like an especially useless way to add weight, drag, and wind noise... but maybe they think it will make a good brush guard for the off-roaders?
  • the red isn't my favourite but the interior is fine with me otherwise
  • alloy wheels are good but even the non-Extreme has alloys available, and those tires don't look very functional
Still no sign of this package on the Bigfoot web site.
Brian,
I called Bigfoot to have more information sent to me. The guy on the phone said that the rails are for protection from brush when doing serious boondock bushwhacking.

Mike
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Brian,
I called Bigfoot to have more information sent to me. The guy on the phone said that the rails are for protection from brush when doing serious boondock bushwhacking.
Mike
Well, that would be a plus, but having just looked at a 2007 17CB and 17G model, I would be more concerned about the axle scraping the ground and the weird metal protective protrusion thingy (how is that for completely untechnical newbie-speak) on the bottom getting moored on a rough road... the clearance from the axle was extremely low... couldn't quite tell if the 08 axles are any higher, but I guess I am too close to 40 for the interior redesign to appeal to me...makes it look too much like a toyhauler.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
Well, that would be a plus, but having just looked at a 2007 17CB and 17G model, I would be more concerned about the axle scraping the ground and the weird metal protective protrusion thingy (how is that for completely untechnical newbie-speak) on the bottom getting moored on a rough road... the clearance from the axle was extremely low... couldn't quite tell if the 08 axles are any higher
While it is difficult to say for sure, from the pictures, I would guess that the visually taller Xtreme could be using a straight axle instead of the 4" drop axle employed on the regular 17.5 versions.

This would result in roughly 12" of clearance under the middle of the axle with 225/75/15 tires, which is probably significantly more than what exists under the "banjo" of most factory 4X4 truck axles. The drop axle on the standard 17.5 should have nearly 8" of clearance, not counting the underslung springs/spring plates which hang much lower - too low for really rough roads.

Personally, I couldn't imagine buying a brand new "Xtreme" and then proceed to bash it to pieces off road. I also am looking forward to inspecting one in person to see whether the frame and suspension components have been upgraded to measure up to the "image" or if this is more of a styling exercise.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #15

The height increase looks like even more than you would get by going to a straight axle, but maybe that and a spring mount change would account for it.

I called the local Bigfoot dealer. The sales guy there was familiar with the Extreme, but said they would not be available for some time. He had no technical information, and I think all he has to go on are the same photos we're looking at. He also wondered about the practicality of the brush guards, since they could catch on the very branches they are supposed to be guarding against, and rip holes in the shell.

By the way, he suggesting that if you really want off-road ability, you want an Earthroamer (no, he doesn't sell them). For us "lightweight moulded fiberglass RV" fans, note that Earthroamer has supplemented their line of heavyweight F-450/550-based models with a little Jeep-based unit, the EarthRoamer XV-JP. Even this little one is much more expensive than a Bigfoot trailer, but it's half the price of its big brother...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Even this little one is much more expensive than a Bigfoot trailer, but it's half the price of its big brother...
Well that sounds almost as nice as having a New Horizons custom-built, but I would have to borrow some serious dinero from one of those wealthy 30 year-olds someone mentioned was buying these things!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Nice! Do all 21' & 25' have solid sprung axles?
SITES- Forum - Gallery - Blog - Facebook
Aids10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Nice! Do all 21' & 25' have solid sprung axles?
IIRC all Bigfoot trailers have leaf spring suspension, except for the "L'il Bigfoot" 13.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I agree that the trailer looks like a 17.5 Gaucho with cosmetic and trim changes. I wonder if the changes were made in a custom shop, as there was quite a lot of unsold inventory when Bigfoot Industries went under in Nov 2008. I've also heard of a Bigfoot 17.5 with a rear dinette which doesn't seem to be on the BigfootRV.com website either. Bigfoot is said to be beginning trailer building once again, but I haven't seen any inventory. Just campers.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I think we've resurrected a dinosaur thread here from summer '07!

Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot