2008 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 16ft travel trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Name: Alissa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
2008 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 16ft travel trailer

I'm looking at a 2008 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 16ft travel trailer. The owner has it listed as "Lightweight fiberglass construction-UVW:. I cant find any information about the construction of these. Does anyone know is the are fiberglass? Thanks!

Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Those are NOT molded fiberglass, so they will have seams at the places where the walls and roof meet. The "fiberglass" is a thin layer bonded (usually with adhesive) to a substrate (usually wood), and is subject to delamination if water intrudes.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Thanks Mike.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
The fiberglass walls are a laminated fiberglass using the pinch roller method and have been know to de-laminate on this model. The better method of lamination which is used by "Jayco" (nations largest manufacturer of Travel Trailers by volume) is know as the vacuum-lamination method. This method is better but can also de-laminate but not as often. All laminated panel construction travel trailers have seams where connected to the roof area and at corners.
If you are considering such a trailer also ask if the frame is 2X3 or 2X4 wood studs or metal welded studs...the metal is the best in this type of trailer as it is stronger and often lighter in overall weight.

I have been around travel trailers since 1980 and believe me there is a lot to learn in order to become a "wise shopper". Read a lot and ask a lot of questions.
This industry has produced products with quality problems for decades and many have not been addressed. It is hard to find professional reviews of this product group so we must rely on each other for information.

Subscribe to a lot of web site and read. Try the following in addition to this one.

irv2.com......rvtravel.com...do it yourself RV....RV.net. There are others where you will find folks who RV camp all willing to help.

Good Luck and Happy (informed) Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita SD
Check the roof

I had a Funfinder and my best friend had a Funfinder. Although cute, they both leaked. Get up on a ladder and check the roof. It is not solid. In fact it is some thin vinyl material/cloth over wood. Not good. I sold mine and bought a Casita.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Thanks for the help.I'm going to stay away from the Fun Finder.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
i owned a fun finder X a couple of years ago, but it was a bit longer, with a slide. nice little trailer, all in all. my one gripe was that it was very difficult to use unless the slide was out. the bathroom design more than made up for the inconvenience, though!
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
I have the one you seek, but I think a neighbor may buy it so I can free up my money to buy an Eggcamper. I bought just a year ago used from a dealer when my friends told me to get one and it was one of the lighter ones I could get for my traverse. I have felt a couple spots where it leaked previously but felt dry (assuming a roof leak at one time) and then I had one window on a stormy weekend with a bad weater strip, which I replaced with a friends dad and we used the hose to check it. I have it stored for the winter in a barn and planned to sell in the spring for an all electric egg, I really didn't like the propane option. Hind sight 20/20 if I had stuck to my guns and looked for an all electric eventually I would have found the egg camper (was looking for a used 2009 shasta airflyte ....which was all electric but couldn't find one), but I went with my friends advise and now wish I held off and saved the $$ in taxes. Although now I have the confidence to pull a trailer, I'll deal with the sale and purchase again......

but no it would be a sticky trailer.....rubber roofs and plywood walls between siding and wallpaper, check out my album and you'll see it

a chick waiting for her first egg
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote