2009 is an Odd Year. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

This is significant in my family, as odd years are Reunion years. My first conundrum is that Reunions can conflict with attending the Oregon Gathering. In 2007 the scheduling of each event was such that I could not attend both, and had to choose between them. I decided that Blood is thicker than Resin, skipped the Oregon Gathering, and went to the Reunion, that year held in Ardmore, Oklahoma. One feature of my family’s Reunions is that now these events are moving targets, depending upon which family member acts as host.

These reunions remind me of how, when I was a child, our extended family used to spend our summer vacations at Grandma and Grandpa’s 160-acre farm, whose cash crops were peanuts and watermelon. Grandma also raised chickens and sold eggs. In 1961 the state dammed Sugar Creek to build an irrigation reservoir on the eastern boundary of the property, stocking it with fish. Grandpa built and maintained a private road across his fields and charged $1 per carload to use the road, so area residents could swim and fish in the lake and hunt in the woods. My best friend in 3rd grade had a Grandpa who owned a Cabin Cruiser. But MY Grandpa “Owned” a whole Lake!

It is because of my family Reunions that I own a Fiberglass Travel Trailer in the first place. “The Family” consists of the descendants of John and Ina Belle Teeman, of Lookeba, Oklahoma. After my maternal Grandpa John’s funeral in 1984, it was stated: “Let’s not wait for another funeral to get everybody together again.” It took a while to get the plan going, but in July of 1987 the 1st biannual family reunion was held.

After a circuit of staging these reunions in overcrowded family member’s homes, we decided to rent the group camp at Roman Nose State Park every other year. It’s proximity to the family farm made an ideal location while Grandma was alive. But the group Camp’s accommodations, while affordable, were less than luxurious. For the last 2 reunions held at Roman Nose, Robert and I pitched a tent, while my older brother retreated with his family to the Resort Hotel. I plotted to buy a Travel Trailer.

After Grandma died, and the farm was sold, the venue began to rotate amongst younger generation hosts. The Family decided to upgrade the accommodations to “Vacation Condos” to make older participants more comfortable. To keep costs down, rooms would be shared by up to 4 persons. I bought the Compact Jr. as an excuse for Robert and I to have an affordable private room nearby to the main venue.

The 1st reunion with the Compact Jr. was at The Lake Of The Ozarks, in Missouri. Two years later the reunion was held in Hot Springs, Arkansas. After that I discovered Fiberglass RV. In 2005, we were encouraged by new friends on this website to attend The Oregon Gathering. But the Family Reunion was scheduled for the preceding weekend at Oneida Lake, New York! What would I do? I wanted to go to both!

I decided to reach for the brass ring, and my “Long, Long Trailer Trip” of 2005 was born. We would leave San Diego, CA and go to Oneida Lake, NY spending 3 days there. Then we would leave Oneida Lake, NY and go to Bandon, OR for 2 days. Finally we would return to San Diego, a mere 16 days after our departure from the starting gate!
I “Blogged” about the trip then here on this website. (That thread was lost when this website was hacked later that year.) People jumped in with suggestions on what online mapping services to use, and what were good places to stay along our route. A couple of people invited Robert and I to stop and visit on our way through. We bought our first digital camera, and I had my first laptop, and I thought I’d update the “blog” along the way.

And we were off! And things went wrong right away! But we muddled through and I updated the blog every few days, and we met wonderful people. We even had a “Fred and Robert sighting report” when someone on the way to the Oregon Gathering saw us going in the wrong direction. I had great stories to tell of our disasters along the way when we finally got to the Oregon Gathering.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Registry
Talking

Well, another odd year is upon us. The Family Reunion will be at a hotel in Saint Louis, Missouri this July. My family knows how committed I am to Weighing Trailers at the Oregon Gathering, which I will gladly do again this year. After some negotiations, the Reunion is scheduled for the weekend after the Oregon Gathering, so Robert and I will Revisit our “Long, Long Trailer Trip” in the opposite order of how we did it 4 years ago. We are also scheduling 3 weeks/4 weekends or a total 23 days away from my job for the round trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	map001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	17815

The 1st leg of the trip will take us north, from San Diego, to an overnight stay near Stockton, CA

Name:	map002.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	17816

The 2nd leg of the trip will have us spending time with Robert's Sister.

Name:	map003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	17817

And then we will arrive at the Oregon Gathering on Tuesday, July 14th.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #3

Registry
Talking

Sunday, July 19th

Name:	map004.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	17818

After we leave the Oregon Gathering, we will stay with Robert's Brother in Portland.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

Registry
Talking

Monday

Name:	map005.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	17819

Tuesday

Name:	map006.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	17820

Wednesday

Name:	map007.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	17821

Thursday

Name:	map008.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	17822

Name:	map009.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	17823
Friday

I expect it will take 5 days, at around 450 miles per day to make it to the Family Reunion.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #5

Registry
Talking

Name:	map011.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	17828

Name:	map012.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	17829

Name:	map013.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	17830

Name:	map014.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	17831

And I expect to take 4 days to get home after the reunion.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #6

Registry
Thumbs up

Does anyone have any suggestions for different routing?
Should I go through Kansas instead of Nebraska?
Keeping in Mind we want to get 450 miles down the road each day, is there a better way?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Sorry, I have nothing constructive to contribute, I just had a cartoon image of some poor Schmoe looking down two very bleak, very flat roads, while scratching his head.

Even though it likely wasn't your intent, I thank you kindly for the hearty laugh.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for different routing?
Keeping in Mind we want to get 450 miles down the road each day, is there a better way?
I live in Kansas and have been through both states. I would have to say that the eastern side of Kansas beats the state of Nebraska. The western side of Kansas stinks but the WHOLE state of Nebraska stinks as far as scenery. By the way, where is your stop in Missouri? I'm looking for some nice close spots to try our new camper out.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Last time we drove that stretch of Nebraska, several years ago, it was rough. Fred drove a cement truck pouring the original interstate in college, wonder how many times they improved it since then. I would tend to recommend the Kansas route to you. However we may drive that Nebr stretch again this March so I will be able to report to you at the Oregon Gathering how it was.

Haven't been in western Kansas, but we felt a lot different when we left Nebraska and hit Kansas going north/south on secondary roads in the eastern half last November. We were born in Nebraska and it was a strange feeling to like Kansas better. While driving along I was wondering about the sociological reasons for the nicer feel of Kansas.

Nancy
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
You might get more suggestions if this was in another place than Oregon Gathering.

Just a thought.

Nancy
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:
You might get more suggestions if this was in another place than [b]Oregon Gathering.

Just a thought.

Nancy
Good Idea.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I just had a cartoon image of some poor Schmoe looking down two very bleak, very flat roads, while scratching his head.
I have experience with bleak, flat roads... [b]I-40 across New Mexico & Texas, for example...
We have taken the Nebraska route on previous trips; traveling in both directions. Rand McNally online recommends that route as being quicker. Kansas, OTOH remains blank on my trailer's map.
Attached Thumbnails
mapfront.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #13

Registry
Talking

Quote:
By the way, where is your stop in Missouri? I'm looking for some nice close spots to try our new camper out.
The one I've labled "Camp5"?
Link: It's a KOA
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
This past summer we traveled from Oregon through Colorado, Wyoming to the border of Kansas/Missouri. We found the travel through Kansas to be more interesting and faster than the Nebraska route. The western part of Kansas was flat but not altogether uninteresting. The road was wide, traffic flowed smoothly and it gave us some stress-free miles. The route became more beautiful from mid Kansas on east. We then found a gold mine of a camp just outside of Lawrence, Kansas at Clinton Lake Park. It has many acres and is a natural wildlife preserve. We saw many birds, including pelicans and bluebirds. At night we heard coyotes and the campground was not crowded. It had easy access and was easy to find. I would highly recommend considering it as a stop.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Don't worry, it will even out next year.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
From camp two I see that you are going south. Why not take a couple of days and detour through Yellowstone and then head south?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Frederick -

Where abouts in the "near Stockton" area????
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have experience with bleak, flat roads... [b]I-40 across New Mexico & Texas, for example...
We have taken the Nebraska route on previous trips; traveling in both directions. Rand McNally online recommends that route as being quicker. Kansas, OTOH remains blank on my trailer's map.
I think Colorado and Kansas are feeling left out on your trailer's map. They might start developing a complex...

I vote dip down into Colorado, take the toll loop around Denver till you get to the interstate then left into Kansas.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #19

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Frederick -

Where abouts in the "near Stockton" area????
Link: Dos Reis County Park

Robert and I stayed there last year on our way to the Oregon Gathering.
Attached Thumbnails
Dos_Reis_1.jpg   Dos_Reis_3.jpg  

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #20

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
From camp two I see that you are going south. Why not [b]take a couple of days and detour through Yellowstone and then head south?
Shhhh! Robert will hear you. You'll give him ideas...

We actually have a strict time budget... and the Family Reunion starts at 2:00 PM on Friday the 24th. I'm leaving The Oregon Gathering early Sunday Morning on the 19th to make into Portland so we get to spend a few hours with His Brother's family. Then We leave Portland early Monday morning.

Time will be against us as we drive east, crossing 2 time zones and loosing 1 hour each time.