2013 camping trip plans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
2013 camping trip plans

well, time to plan our first two spring trips.. our first will be the "tuplip festival" in holland michigan. if you have never been to this festival you really should. the whole town is decorated and planted inthese beautiful flowers, and dutch fashion. plus the weather is quite pleasant this time of year <april> and no bugs. we will stay at Holland state park just a few miles from all the activities.and a beautiful place to spend time in its own right. for more on the festival , times , dates and such do a websearch on holland michigan tulip festival. you will have a great time i promise,,,ever been inside a real (imprted from holland) dutch windmill?

the next trip will be to guard the sturgeon on the black river in Onoway michigan. working with sturgeon for tommorrow, the department of natural resources and michigan state university, we will camp along the beautiful black river, in a natural state forrest. we each take turns patroling the river to protect the spawning sturgeon from poachers, usually 6 our shifts. then of to play for the rest of the day. i will be helping to capture and tag fish, and visit the sturgeon rearing facility. as well as fishing and site seeing. things like the largest water fall in the southern peninsula, vast sink holes ove 100 feet deep, and many other things are with in 15 minutes or so from the area.
Onoway is a short drive from macinaw city. and has a lot to offer, including beautiful steel sculptures sprinkled threwout the town. provided by moran iron works . theres even a race car track in town.
this is a dry camping trip , in the woods. the only nicity provided is a portable toilet, and great camping companions. if your interested in a real honest adventure, and watching scarlet taningers, and eagles fly around you, check out the sturgeon for tommorrow website and volunteer to come camp with us. not only is it free,,,,,but you will get a free hat to boot,,,,lol heres a link to the site. i will be there from may 4th-the 11th.

Sturgeon for Tomorrow | Sturgeon Guarding Program
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
On Feb 15 we'll be on our way to Texas for 3-4 weeks. Probably in April we drive the Blue Ridge Parkway so Grace can see the blooming dogwoods and whatever else is in bloom. Sometime in the summer we'll head west possibly going to the Pacific northwest. We've been there before but very few times because it's so far from Michigan. September we'll go to the Algonac fiberglass "glassic." later in Sept or in Oct we'll go???????????? someplace.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Feb 13 heading south to Alabama for a month.. may detour to Texas on the way.. Head to Atlantic coast in April to same Blue Ridge parkway then home. Tentatively going to Atlantic Rally in Cape Breton in July and then Calgary with whatever is left of the summer.. Now that's with the Scamp... still need to fit a few trips in with the Teardrop
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Do either of you camp on the Parkway? If so, where?
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
My parents have spoken of camping at a Pisca (sp). Anyone know anything about camping there?
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Never camped on Blue Ridge before but suggestions welcome
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
My parents have spoken of camping at a Pisca (sp). Anyone know anything about camping there?
Is this it?
Quote:
Mt. Pisgah (MP 408) is the highest Parkway campground at almost 5,000 feet elevation. Formerly part of the Vanderbilt Estate and near the US Forest Service's Cradle of Forestry site. Reservations can be made for portions of this campground on-line at RECREATION.gov or by calling 1-877-444 6777.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
On Feb 15 we'll be on our way to Texas for 3-4 weeks. Probably in April we drive the Blue Ridge Parkway so Grace can see the blooming dogwoods and whatever else is in bloom. Sometime in the summer we'll head west possibly going to the Pacific northwest. We've been there before but very few times because it's so far from Michigan. September we'll go to the Algonac fiberglass "glassic." later in Sept or in Oct we'll go???????????? someplace.
Hi: rgrugg...While you're down along the Parkway why not join the Egg Camping Club rally in, mid Apr. at Tremont Resort, Townsend Tenn., near Knoxville. It's right beside the Great Smokey Mountains Nat. Pk. and the highest peak in Tenn. Clingmans Dome. We'll be there too. Last year there were about 70 fiberglass rigs there, and good time had by all!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
1st camping trip is Mothers day weekend up to Mesick, Mi
2nt trip is late May, for the Vintage Camper Rally (TCT) in Milford, Mi
3rd Trip is early June for the National Glamping Weekend, CHICK camping!!!
4th trip is Port Crescent state park, July 26-26
5th trip is August, Holly Rec Area, Retro Revival Weekend
6th trip is Algonac Glassic (whoooooeee, looking forward to seeing yall!)
7th trip is Fall TCT Rally back in Milford, Mi.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
1st camping trip: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-53496.html
2nd camping trip: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...may-53819.html
3rd camping trip, International Glamping Weekend, June 1-2, L.L. Stubb Stewart SP, Oregon
4th camping trip: June 8-9, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-55116.html
5th camping trip: July 10-22, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ate-53961.html
6th camping trip, Unfinished Nationals, Grays Harbor County Fairgrounds, Elma, Washington
7th camping trip: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-56050.html

And a couple more curtainly unscheduled as I can squeeze them in!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

Registry
LOL, Donna D, we're both on lucky 7 !!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
LOL, Donna D, we're both on lucky 7 !!
, maybe we should go buy lottery tickets .

Somehow 28 nights in a year doesn't seem like enough
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
My first ones will not be until May then its off to the Cheat River Fest in WV, and then to Mohawk st. park in Charlemont, Ma some time in June. After that we will just pick a spot and go.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We plan a spring trip for 2 months to Newfoundland.

In the fall of 2013 we've planned a 6th loop of the USA, again seeking new places, generally that means down the east coast, across the southwest, up the west coast and of course a stop in Oregon, and than a trip home possibly thru Canada arriving home in the late spring.

On these loops we seek new roads and places with a few of our favorites (coastal OR) thrown in. In the process we'll probably catch a few rallies depending on timing.

Life is wonderful....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

Registry
Norm and Ginny, My in-laws went up through Newfoundland and surrounding areas in Canada and say that it was one of the most beautiful, ralaxing vacations they've ever had. My retirement will need to include a trip like that!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #16

Florida
You may know. Nfld is my favorite spot in NAmerica. This will be our 5th trip. We have driven most of Nflds roads except for the region south of St Johns. We definitely have driven all of Labrador's.

The ride thru the rest of the Atlantic provinces is also great. Fortunately you hit them all except PEI on the way.

Another nice part of the trip is costal ME, not quite as quiet as Nfld but nearly so.

There is plenty of wonder out there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
You may know. Nfld is my favorite spot in NAmerica. This will be our 5th trip. We have driven most of Nflds roads except for the region south of St Johns. We definitely have driven all of Labrador's.

The ride thru the rest of the Atlantic provinces is also great. Fortunately you hit them all except PEI on the way.

Another nice part of the trip is costal ME, not quite as quiet as Nfld but nearly so.

There is plenty of wonder out there.
Hi: honda03842... P.E.I. is Canada's Garden Province. The Confederation Bridge is toll free going over but coming back it's south of 50 bucks. It's worth every penny even though the Fed's just did away with them!!! Can't put in my 2 cents worth any more either.
We've never been to NFLD so you're ahead of us there.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Homeward bound.jpg   Pass the spuds.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
1st camping trip is Mothers day weekend up to Mesick, Mi
2nt trip is late May, for the Vintage Camper Rally (TCT) in Milford, Mi
3rd Trip is early June for the National Glamping Weekend, CHICK camping!!!
4th trip is Port Crescent state park, July 26-26
5th trip is August, Holly Rec Area, Retro Revival Weekend
6th trip is Algonac Glassic (whoooooeee, looking forward to seeing yall!)
7th trip is Fall TCT Rally back in Milford, Mi.

Pam,

There is a county park with a lighthouse on past Port Crescent beyond the old Huron City....have you ever camped there?? I think it might be Lighthouse Park.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #19

Florida
Alf,

We went to the fiberglss rally in PEI two years ago and paid that $50 toll on the way out. It seems trivial to the cost of getting to Newfoundland on the Ferry.

PEI is another good place for ssure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #20

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Two Trips for sure:

July 13-20 Yellowstone NP. A group starting is Las Vegas, picking up Scamps while heading north.

Oct 31-Nov 4 - Lake Casitas, CA

May take other trips as they pop up.

Inquiring minds want to know...how come there are so many get togethers in WA and OR as compared to other regions/state? I am jealous.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote