25 Gallon Portable Spot Sprayer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
25 Gallon Portable Spot Sprayer

After posting that for several years we have used a portable sprayer for transporting drinking, Gordon 2 brought up the safety of using a tank originally made for spraying pesticide and suggested I contact the maker of the unit and ask their opinion. Below is our conversations and the response from the Master Mfg.

This the email I received from them this morning...

"They are not certified for potable water. With that being said, many people do use them for this purpose. We just have not gone through the certification process."

Jon Kulzer
Customer Service/sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Check out Tractor Supply for their 25 gallon tank with a 12 volt motor for pumping. You can hook it directly to your city water inlet with a hose or pump it directly into you holding tank. I think I paid about $125 about 7 yrs. ago. Well worth the $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That is of course intended for things such as insecticide spraying and I very much doubt it is approved for potable water. But I'm too lazy to check now. I have that exact same sprayer and I can assure you that you DO NOT want to drink from mine!
Quote:
I sanitize it from time to time (including hoses) and have not noticed any side affects after 7 years. Should have shown up by now. I do change the filter screen in the bottom of the tank frequently since it will rust.
Well, people smoke for longer than seven years before getting lung cancer. People are exposed to asbestos for more than seven years before coming down with mesothelioma. But perhaps the most likely concern is lead in the pump, since it is not for potable water use, they are free to have high lead content.

May I suggest that you at least contact the manufacturer at Master Manufacturing Support - Contact Us and ask if the sanitized tank, pump and and hose is safe for human water consumption. If they say yes, then this is a good idea for people to use to transport water to their campers.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Thanks for checking Dick.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Personally, I use the water in my trailer's domestic tank for showers and dishwashing, but never for drinking or cooking. I would not be concerned about "certification" for potable water.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
I don't see that that reply answers any question of safety. "...many people do use them for this purpose. We just have not gone through the certification process." That may seem to imply that IF they were tested for certification they would pass. But the manufacturer didn't specifically claim that and without being tested who knows? As was noted above, smoking, lead, and asbestos in relatively small quantities may take years for negative results to show up. So "many people do use them for this purpose" means nothing.
I have, since childhood, and that was a long time ago, drunk water from un-certified hoses, both rubber and plastic, without known adverse effects, and I am now over 80. Not all the time, or even what might be considered regularly. The main reason not is because it tastes lousy. But on a hot summer day working outside you drink what is handy and RELATIVELY safe. Better from a hose than from a mud puddle. However, if I were a hose manufacturer I would not recommend the practice. Liability and all that. So the manufacturer didn't say it was safe. Just that they had not had the safety checked. Caveat emptor.

wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Personally, I use the water in my trailer's domestic tank for showers and dishwashing, but never for drinking or cooking. I would not be concerned about "certification" for potable water.
We are almost the exact opposite , we only use the water in the onboard tank for drinking , coffee, cooking , and occasionally flushing the toilet.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I’m more concerned about what I’m putting in my tank.
Enter your zip code and see what your water is like.

https://www.livescience.com/59935-ta...-database.html
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
This the email I received from them this morning...

"They are not certified for potable water. With that being said, many people do use them for this purpose. We just have not gone through the certification process."

I see this as a perfect response as it was designed for insecticides and not potable water use. Certification for some unintended use would be redundant on their part. How an end user decides to use it is on the owner dime.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #8

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I’m more concerned about what I’m putting in my tank.
Enter your zip code and see what your water is like.

https://www.livescience.com/59935-ta...-database.html
Mine is fine. Thanks!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote