$29.99 back up camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
$29.99 back up camera

True Value Hardware has a back up camera on sale for $49.99 + a $20.00 rebate.
It has a 2.4 inch LCD Monitor and license plate frame camera with a 2.4 GHz wireless transmitter.
It includes all mounting hardware.
The sale starts Friday.
It looks like the one I bought at Costco several years ago for about $90.00.

Hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Could you post a link to the sale ad. I tried their page and only got one for $115 with a rebate.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Sorry, I don't have a link it's sale flyer came in the mail today.
The header on the Flyer says Thanksgiving weekend sale. Save up to 50%.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This one? Peak Car Back-Up Camera, Wireless, 2.4-In. LCD Color Monitor
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Rats, this looks like a better deal than the one I jumped on because this one is wireless. Oh well, I'm happy.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

The reviews are only fair, but I took a chance and told the local hardware store to order one up for me. I'll report once I get it installed.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I also ordered one....I couldn't decide between that one and the one on ebay that you can switch between cameras.... Either way, I ordered one. Does anyone know if this one has to wire into the reverse lights?
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

There are several installation videos on youtube. You certainly can wire it in to the back up lights. I intend to wire it in to either the taillights or the license plate lights. That way, it will always be on when the lights are on. You can shut off the video at the display end if you don't want to look at it. Or, just unplug it from the cigarette lighter.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Minnesota
OK...camera finally got to the store and I picked it up....now I can't find the rebate form...anyone have one?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #10

Eggless,
Go to Donna D.'s post above. Click on her Peak link. When you're in that link, put rebate in the search box. It will come up and you can print it. If you've got a problem doing that, PM me with your mailing address. I've got an extra one that I would mail you.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #11

Minnesota
I got it...I couldn't find it through the rebate center, but was able to find it at the product page....thanks for your help!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I've used a Peak wireless for over a year now in my full-sized truck.

I wired it to my backup lights so it only comes on when I put the truck in reverse. After a couple of rains the camera got water in it but I pried it open, dried it out, and sealed it with silicone cement - it has stayed dry ever since. Rain or morning mist will usually obscure the image. The image is good when the lighting is just right, but often glare will wash out the scene to where it's practically useless.

I first put the transmitter in the space by the tail light but the range must have been a bit too great since I got a tremendous amount of interference, so I moved it closer to the cab. I put the transmitter in double zip-lock bags and zip-tied it to the frame, stretching the cable to its length, to where it nearly reached the cab. I now get much less interference. In a small vehicle it should do even better, but still not great. It picks up interference from other vehicles, cameras at railroad crossings and stop lights, etc. Once our screen even showed the front of our own truck! The camera on the car in front of us broadcast to our unit - very interesting.

All-in-all it does a fair job at best. I got the Peak with the 3 1/2" screen, which I consider too small, so I can't imagine the 2 1/2" screen as being adequate. For Christmas I'm getting a hard-wired unit with a 7" screen. I'll report on it after I've used it for a couple of months.

This is the monitor I ordered from Amazon ($35.68): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
And this is the camera ($15.26):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i01
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Rats, this looks like a better deal than the one I jumped on because this one is wireless. Oh well, I'm happy.
Thomas, I have had this PEAK wireless camera set-up for a couple years (I use it as a rear view mirror, leaving it on all the time), and have switched over to the "wired" one on sale because the wireless is prone to interference (distortion, lines, and blackout periods). NOW I'm happy also.
Happy Trails
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Thomas, I have had this PEAK wireless camera set-up for a couple years (I use it as a rear view mirror, leaving it on all the time), and have switched over to the "wired" one on sale because the wireless is prone to interference (distortion, lines, and blackout periods). NOW I'm happy also.
Happy Trails
Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I've used a Peak wireless for over a year now in my full-sized truck. All-in-all it does a fair job at best. I got the Peak with the 3 1/2" screen, which I consider too small, so I can't imagine the 2 1/2" screen as being adequate. For Christmas I'm getting a hard-wired unit with a 7" screen. I'll report on it after I've used it for a couple of months.

This is the monitor I ordered from Amazon ($35.68): Amazon.com: 7 inch TFT Color LCD Car Rear View Camera Monitor Support Rotating The Screen and 2 AV Inputs: Car Electronics
And this is the camera ($15.26):
Amazon.com: Waterproof Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera High-definition Cmos 170 Degree Viewing Angle E363: Car Electronics
Okay, I've used the new camera and monitor for over a month now and I couldn't be happier with it. The image is clear, sharp, and NO flickering interference. Also, it's large enough that it is actually useful. Pictured with my old 3 1/2" Peak unit. The new camera didn't come with a license plate mount so I cut a piece of cheap aluminium ruler to size and drilled appropriate holes to fit - not much work, really. I was worried about wiring it, but found plugs under the carpet in the front of my cab and there was plenty of cable supplied to reach with no problem.

We've had a couple of really hard rains since I mounted it and, so far, unlike with the Peak, there has been no sign of it leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00941 (2).jpg   DSC00947.jpg  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote