$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #221
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boler75 View Post
you're lucky... here in quebec, $6 per gallon...
OOOO Canada!! Why so high on gasssss!!!?? Haha.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #222

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe

OOOO Canada!! Why so high on gasssss!!!?? Haha.
If you think their gas is bad, try buying booze up there! My Canadian friends come to the US to buy Canadian whiskey.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #223

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Making My point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
IMHO world demand does play a very *big* part in the pricing. The price of oil in unregulated or none government gas subsidized countries such as yours and mine is based on global demand/supply and not just on what is or is not happening in the country we live or how much supply your country may or may not have. I live in a country that has more than enough to meet our demands and a big chuck of the USA's demand as well but we still pay at the pump based on what the worlds production ability is. Most scientist agree that the worlds oil production ability is close to peaking if they don't believe that it has in fact already happened, as some do.

I read someplace recently that although the USA is home to less than 5% of the worlds population it is using about 1/4 of the worlds oil production and that 25% of that consumption is burned on the roads. Yes there has been a slight decline in the consumption of oil in the USA in the past 3 years as there has been in Canada but thats not the case in many other countries in the world. India and China's oil demands have increased along with most other developing countries. Some suggest that China may actually pass the USA in demand by 2025.

There is chart here that shows the consumption by country.

Unless we all figure out how to consume a lot less oil or we find ourselves a few more really big oil fields someplace in the world the cost of gas isn't going to go down anytime soon.

As said that's just MHO.
Thank you for stating in one post what I could not in several posts and in a much more eloquent and reasoned manner
than I was able to do.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #224

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
$5.59US/gallon

$1.428/litre ($5.59 US/gallon) in Vancouver today . Perhaps it's a good thing I haven't been able to find an affordable tug yet. I'm still driving my 1.5L civic. The longer I drive it, the more $$ I can through at a tug later
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #225

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
*deleted*
You all know (don't you?) that if I were to reply in substance to these remarks about The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) I would instantly be censured and accused of talking politics!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #226

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
It is semi interesting dance, started by CNYEggerstobe, around issues which have nothing to do with this rising cost of fuel thread. Canadians are laughing, rightfully so.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #227
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Meanwhile.... last Tuesday we saw $3.69/gal. By Thursday it was up to $3.73. Today it is up to $3.79. All at the same station here in central Vt. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Meanwhile.... last Tuesday we saw $3.69/gal. By Thursday it was up to $3.73. Today it is up to $3.79. All at the same station here in central Vt. Raz
Perhaps gas is getting better?...more miles per galon.
George.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #229

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
OK, I woke up this morning to $3.85 a gal, Now without going political, if someone doesn't do something to stop this crap any hope of an economic recovery is just a pipe dream.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #230

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...By the time we get our 5.0 out of storage we may not be able to afford to tow it home. Contemplating getting a second mortgage to pay off my gas bill!!!
The price here is going up faster than a speeding bullet. Maybe it's time for a gas revolt.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #231

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ya, 15 cents in just one week and projected to continue!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #232

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
" will work for gas".
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #233

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
There is chart here that shows the consumption by country.
Of course, that chart is already three years old.

What has helped me put these high gas prices into perspective has been the many folks in this thread who have said (paraphrased) "What else you gonna do? Sit at home? Stay at a Holiday Inn??"

As a friend told me, you can't take it with you. Enjoy it now. I suppose that is true for time and money and recreation. The "recreation police" are not gonna come by and give you a ticket for going on a trip instead of sitting at home on the couch WISHING you were going on a trip.

Thanks for some good posts so far.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #234

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
" will work for gas".
Well, I just treated myself and spent a few bucks on gas. Locally in the past few days, gas has gone up to $3.59 and back down to $3.51 today. I got out my Buick LaSabre and drove over to Camping World, about a 100+ mile round trip.

But the weather was interesting this afternoon. And an hour browsing through Camping World always helps clear my mind on the dull activities of life and renew my spirit for the future. (Sounds neat, huh??)

Everybody needs a goal, even if you have to postpone it for a few years...many years. I'll just drive closer to the speed limit for the rest of the week.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #235

Texas
"As speculators gamble, millions of Americans are paying what amounts to a 'speculators tax' to feed Wall Street's greed."

"Forget what you may have read about the laws of supply and demand. Oil and gas prices have almost nothing to do with economic fundamentals. According to the Energy Information Administration, the supply of oil and gasoline is higher today than it was three years ago, when the national average for a gallon of gasoline was just $1.90. Meanwhile, the demand for oil in the U.S. is at its lowest level since April of 1997."

"The culprit is Wall Street. Speculators are raking in profits by gambling in the loosely regulated commodity markets for gas and oil."

Here is the story about about what I have been saying!!

Don

The Don Pod
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #236

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Floyd is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You all know (don't you?) that if I were to reply in substance to these remarks about The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) I would instantly be censured and accused of talking politics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
It is semi interesting dance, started by CNYEggerstobe, around issues which have nothing to do with this rising cost of fuel thread. Canadians are laughing, rightfully so.
George.
This is *NOT* a venue for political discussion. This thread however, is about fuel costs, which does have a bearing on Fiberglass Travel Trailer use. Please observe our Community Rules.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #237

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking 50 years of progress

I had a 1959 Triumph TR10 Estate Wagon which gave me over 40 mpg at 50 mph. At 65mph it gave 36mpg. Around town, 32mpg. So we haven't progressed as much as we think. That is about what I get with my 2001 VW Golf.

It is my humble opinion that energy is such a basic commodity that the price of gas isn't going up, the value of money is going down.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #238

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Well over $6.00 per US gallon for Chevron Hi-test (94 Octane) where I had to go & get fuel for a few of my 2-stroke garden implements (Chainsaw, weed-wacker, leafblower etc)

Of course, I have a couple of cars that take offense at being offered any lesser fuels,too! (Wife's Lexus, my '57 Chev)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I had a 1959 Triumph TR10 Estate Wagon which gave me over 40 mpg at 50 mph. At 65mph it gave 36mpg. Around town, 32mpg. So we haven't progressed as much as we think. That is about what I get with my 2001 VW Golf.

It is my humble opinion that energy is such a basic commodity that the price of gas isn't going up, the value of money is going down.
If you extend the time frame to Ford-T at 25mpg than progress in the last 100 years is rather miserable. I am researching change over from F350/Bigfoot 21’ to Sprinter Van or another TV with smaller trailer and found out that the new Nissan Van gets 11 mpg but 8.8sec to 60 is considered respectable by Motor Trends, thank you Motor Trends for your opinion, my God this is just a commercial vehicle. Motor Trends, your opinion is ridicules indeed. That acceleration is as good as Porsche 924 from in 1988 with miserable 8.7s to 60. I should be called an anti-acceleration warrior.
George.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #240

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
If you extend the time frame to Ford-T at 25mpg than progress in the last 100 years is rather miserable. I am researching change over from F350/Bigfoot 21’ to Sprinter Van or another TV with smaller trailer and found out that the new Nissan Van gets 11 mpg but 8.8sec to 60 is considered respectable by Motor Trends, thank you Motor Trends for your opinion, my God this is just a commercial vehicle. Motor Trends, your opinion is ridicules indeed. That acceleration is better than Porsche 924 turbo from in 1988 with miserable 9.8s to 60. I should be called an anti-acceleration warrior.
George.

What year is your F350? What engine is in it?

I just went to the same trailer as yours (a B/F 21 Rear bed) and have no complaints about how my my ancient GMC pulls it, nor the MPG it gets doing it. (which seems to be "not too much much worse than" what my 4Runner gets when it isn't towing anything! - Jeeze THAT thing is a pig on gas!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote