$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #239

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I had a 1959 Triumph TR10 Estate Wagon which gave me over 40 mpg at 50 mph. At 65mph it gave 36mpg. Around town, 32mpg. So we haven't progressed as much as we think. That is about what I get with my 2001 VW Golf.

It is my humble opinion that energy is such a basic commodity that the price of gas isn't going up, the value of money is going down.
If you extend the time frame to Ford-T at 25mpg than progress in the last 100 years is rather miserable. I am researching change over from F350/Bigfoot 21’ to Sprinter Van or another TV with smaller trailer and found out that the new Nissan Van gets 11 mpg but 8.8sec to 60 is considered respectable by Motor Trends, thank you Motor Trends for your opinion, my God this is just a commercial vehicle. Motor Trends, your opinion is ridicules indeed. That acceleration is as good as Porsche 924 from in 1988 with miserable 8.7s to 60. I should be called an anti-acceleration warrior.
George.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #240

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
If you extend the time frame to Ford-T at 25mpg than progress in the last 100 years is rather miserable. I am researching change over from F350/Bigfoot 21 to Sprinter Van or another TV with smaller trailer and found out that the new Nissan Van gets 11 mpg but 8.8sec to 60 is considered respectable by Motor Trends, thank you Motor Trends for your opinion, my God this is just a commercial vehicle. Motor Trends, your opinion is ridicules indeed. That acceleration is better than Porsche 924 turbo from in 1988 with miserable 9.8s to 60. I should be called an anti-acceleration warrior.
George.

What year is your F350? What engine is in it?

I just went to the same trailer as yours (a B/F 21 Rear bed) and have no complaints about how my my ancient GMC pulls it, nor the MPG it gets doing it. (which seems to be "not too much much worse than" what my 4Runner gets when it isn't towing anything! - Jeeze THAT thing is a pig on gas!)

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #241

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
What year is your F350? What engine is in it?

I just went to the same trailer as yours (a B/F 21 Rear bed) and have no complaints about how my my ancient GMC pulls it, nor the MPG it gets doing it. (which seems to be "not too much much worse than" what my 4Runner gets when it isn't towing anything! - Jeeze THAT thing is a pig on gas!)
1999 7.3 Diesel with 45K miles on odometer. Best ever mileage was with Bigfoot Camper almost 23 MPG, 45 MPH flat. With current trailer it dramatically varies with hills, on the low it is 13 MPG but I hit 17 MPG on flat.
George.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #242

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
That's about what I get with my 350 inch gas engined '92 GMC (with just under 400,000 on it) one-ton, 2 wheel drive, towing my trailer. Worst I ever saw with it was coming back from Osoyoos last fall, on a road famous for being REALLY hilly - I got an average of 8.6 mpg for that trip. Coming back from Texas with the "new to us" trailer last summer, we got 14-15 on the flats, sometimes better (depending on the wind!) and never less than 12 anywhere, even through the high country.

My stoopid 4Runner sometimes gets less than 12, just driving around and has never done more than 15 mpg! Do not let anyone tell that all Toyotas get good economy!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #243

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR
... found out that the new Nissan Van gets 11 mpg but 8.8sec to 60 is considered respectable by Motor Trends, thank you Motor Trends for your opinion, my God this is just a commercial vehicle. Motor Trends, your opinion is ridicules indeed. That acceleration is as good as Porsche 924 from in 1988 with miserable 8.7s to 60. I should be called an anti-acceleration warrior.
George.
I'm with you. Not only with tow vehicles, but all cars. I'm not opposed to performance cars... But your average grocery-getter doesn't need to go 0-60 in 6 seconds. Our expectations are getting a bit out of hand. Until we ease up on acceleration, we can expect MPG to stay in the gutter. Your average driver does not get to 60 MPH in less than 10 seconds. Somehow, people have become so timid out on the roads, that they don't think they'll be able to merge into traffic without first taking out a will. My observation is that it is a lack of driving skills that is really the problem. So many people out there get to a nice LONG entrance ramp and come to a complete STOP! No, people... It's not a stop light or a stop sign. Just keep accelerating and then merge into traffic. You don't need to wait for a "hole" and then go from zero to 70 in three seconds.

This not only results in annoyance and unnecessary nervousness, but also wasted gas.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #244

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thank you Jesse! I thought it was just us who observed the poor driving skills so rampant these days. How about stopping to get into a turn lane or stopping completely to turn into a business! Courtesy is also completely gone. I was towing a popup with a Nissan Titan (no slouch there) and trying to merge onto the highway and another car kept speeding up as I sped up and ran me off the highway. I guess he didnt want to be behind me or something. Ended up with a nail in my tire from the grass and dang near hit a roadsign. Tire was flat by the next exit. Had to call AAA. Folks dont move over or try to assist people getting on the highway any more. They're too busy worrying about themselves, talking, texting whatever. Driver's Ed is not required in FL other than to learn about the dangers of driving while impaired. Students no longer have to drive with an instructor etc so you have lousy drivers teaching their kids to be lousy drivers.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #245

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
In a hurry

I was driving my company truck ( My name and the company name were plastered all over the truck )through downtown St Paul. As I approached an intersection I noticed a women in the crosswalk trying to cross the street . I stopped but the person behind me sped up and while going around me managed to give me the finger and almost hit the women crossing the street. The next day the owner of the shop called me saying he had received 2 phone calls commenting on my driving . The women was very kind and said I was a very courteous driver, the other person said I was a danger on the road and should not have a company truck. Two views of the same incident . We all think we are great drivers and everyone else should drive like us i believe we all have room to improve our driving skills ." I did get to keep my company truck"
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #246

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're Deming, NM at the Escapee Park, normally a relatively crowded place, now virtually empty. I said that I had seen a lot of rigs on the road.

He responded that everyone's nervous about the price of fuel and are headed home. He ended with there simply scared.... fearing much higher gas prices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #247

Florida
Gas jumped 6 more cents from the time I left to get my daughter from school till I got home. Only about 30 mins time.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #248

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
$3.50 a gallon is just but a memory in Portland, Oregon. Sigh. Screw it... let's go camping!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #249

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab
Gas jumped 6 more cents from the time I left to get my daughter from school till I got home. Only about 30 mins time.
To be fair, it probably only jumped 6 cents in 24 hours.... Possibly only 6 cents in a week. You just happened to be there to see it happen.

I had a discussion with a customer recently, where he was appalled that the price of a product went up about 10% from one day to the next. I replied that the product in question hadn't gone up in price for three years, so you could say that the price increased 10% in a day or 10% on three years. It just happened to be that he looked at the price one day, then came back the next day... And had particularly bad luck.

It's all in how you look at it. When I sold my diesel car, the price of diesel fuel was $4.99/gal. Now it is 3.99/gal. I can look at the price of diesel and say how wonderful the price is. Someone who knew that it was $3.89 a month ago thinks the current price is terrible.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #250

Florida
Very true Jesse, but here it's gone up 15 cents this week alone.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #251

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
As opposed to air fare for the seven of us. Gas would have to get very expensive before it looked bad in comparison. Of course jets use fuel too, so air fare would track the cost of fuel.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #252

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Gas would have to get very expensive before it looked bad in comparison.
My feeling exactly. While the plane itself is very fast; the rest of the flying experience, plus whatever it takes to get to your final destination makes it less competitive than driving with the trailer. I don't fly, so if I cannot drive there I won't go.