$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #57

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
As i get older my patience for certain behavior gets less and less
Me too. Now do as I say, not as I do.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #58

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
George, when I read that article, it was clear that the writer was only about 20 years old. I was wrong. The writer is about 24 years old and just graduated from college less than two years ago, in 2010. The first give away is the complete lack of history and obvious lack of research in the article. The second was that the writer is actually satisfied with the shallow-ness of that article in allowing it to be published.

She states, "Average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the United States has increased since late 2007."

DUH!!!

Anyone legitimate reporter, anyone older than a fresh-out-of-college-first-job-pseudo-reporter would know that average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the united States has increased at least since 1973, the first alleged fuel crisis of recent history, although there were earlier similar crises. But I suspect the author's point was to get the article published, not to write a genuine, thought-provoking and accurate piece.

Of course, cost affects behavior. But the point of gasoline is to fuel our cars and help us get around in daily life, not behavior modification.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #59

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Stop crying fellow Americans, you can double (and more) that price according to where you are living in Europe.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #60

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Long drives

I worked and lived in a large city my whole working life (6 mile commute) ., In the 1980's many of my fellow workers chose to move to the country and commute. Gas and land were cheap and so what if you spent 3 or 4 hours a day commuting.
They complained about the roads so freeways were built, then more people moved out and they needed bigger freeways,they complained again Many of them lived in the same area yet refused to ride together to save fuel. instead driving large trucks to work at 10 mpg with one occupant. When the plant went on 7 /12 shifts they complained some even slept at work, not able to go home. Roll ahead 25 years ,gas has gone way up, the value of their home has dropped, the freeways are still crowded and there are few jobs in their area to shorten their commute. Their problem is everyone else's fault .!
In my thinking they chose to move 100 miles from their employment no matter how noble the reason . They complain and want the government (you and I) to subsidize their energy costs . My deer hunting partner drives 125 miles one way to work and is constantly complaining about the cost and time to commute . When questioned his answer is "He could not live in the city too many minorities" This is his right and choice!
I empathise with those who have to drive long distances for work but not for those who CHOSE to live 125 miles from their employment. I believe people should take responsibility for their decisions.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #61

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
George, when I read that article, it was clear that the writer was only about 20 years old. I was wrong. The writer is about 24 years old and just graduated from college less than two years ago, in 2010. The first give away is the complete lack of history and obvious lack of research in the article. The second was that the writer is actually satisfied with the shallow-ness of that article in allowing it to be published.

She states, "Average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the United States has increased since late 2007."

DUH!!!

Anyone legitimate reporter, anyone older than a fresh-out-of-college-first-job-pseudo-reporter would know that average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the united States has increased at least since 1973, the first alleged fuel crisis of recent history, although there were earlier similar crises. But I suspect the author's point was to get the article published, not to write a genuine, thought-provoking and accurate piece.

Of course, cost affects behavior. But the point of gasoline is to fuel our cars and help us get around in daily life, not behavior modification.

D*
You are correct that gas mileage has increased since 1973 but to some degree it is a sweeping statement. See the chart, it is from 2008 but still valid. http://www.pewenvironment.org/upload...%20Economy.pdf . Using reporterís age as a base to disqualify the report is rather unfair.

Ford model T delivered 25 MPG, so, after 104 years how could we judge our MPG progress.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
History of Fuel Economy.pdf (applicationpdf Object) - Mozilla Firefox 2142012 101048 AM.bmp.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #62

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
In the 80s I had two Chevrolet Sprints. The first one was a 4 door and it got 55mpg on the highway and the second was a Turbo Sprint 2 door with Turbo, Intercooler, fuel injection and was extremely fast and it got 42mpg on the highway. Both were 3 cylinder with 4 speed manual transmissions.

Here is a question: Why the heck can't we purchase one of these today?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
In the 80s I had two Chevrolet Sprints. The first one was a 4 door and it got 55mpg on the highway and the second was a Turbo Sprint 2 door with Turbo, Intercooler, fuel injection and was extremely fast and it got 42mpg on the highway. Both were 3 cylinder with 4 speed manual transmissions.

Here is a question: Why the heck can't we purchase one of these today?
No problem purchasing one today. (just not a NEW one!)

Just out of curiousity, what size RV are you planning to tow with it?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #64

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Can't find them anywhere. Search for Turbo Sprint. I've been told the build it yourself airplane people use the engines. The car was badged Chevy but made by Suzuli.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #65

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I hear that the 3 cylinder was a grenade waiting to blow.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #66

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Just out of curiousity, what size RV are you planning to tow with it?
Dave the answer is obvious- his Scamp 5th wheel with only a slight modifiction to the bumper area of the car Just joking folks!!!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #67

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Can't find them anywhere. Search for Turbo Sprint. I've been told the build it yourself airplane people use the engines. The car was badged Chevy but made by Suzuli.

There are 4 of them for sale locally on C/L

Cheapest is $300.00 says it "needs work"....

Around here they were sold as Geo Metro, Pontiac Firefly, Suzuki Sprint, Chev Sprint, and other names as well.....

There is a ragtop version for sale a few blocks away from me at $1100.00, and a couple of non-turbo ones in the $600 range

Suzuki made GREAT little rides. I used a 1989 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4 for many,many years as my commuter/"urban guerrilla" ride(actually still own it, but its parked) and put well over 400,000 on it. Reliable as the sun, would go anywhere, go through snow up to the hood, got 35+ mpg. I parked it when it rusted to the point that going through a puddle resulted in my getting splashed in the face! (Replaced it with a 4Runner luxo-barge that gets 12 - 15 mpg, but has "all the toys")
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #68

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
We have one in the auto shop at the vocational school I work at. I don't know if it's for sale.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #69

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Norm and Ginny,
You have the absoltue best reply. If you cant afford the gas dont drive and just sit at home watching the boob tube. After being in Quartzsite, AZ I do think that the economy/gas prices have kept alot of people from traveling. Just keep telling yourself that it is higher somewhere else.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #70

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
I would much rather have a higher price than to go thru the rationing again.