$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #161

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Unfortunately without charging stations infrastructure the range is limited.
Besides, in most parts of the country they are Coal Powered by proxy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #162

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Charging Stations

Even with a network of charging stations it's an issue. The best range is about 100 miles, and that's not towing. On top of that the time to charge is significant.

As well I just read an article on Lithion ion battereies. If you let them go to full discharge one time they are trash material. Interesting if you park your lithium ion car at the airport while on a 12 day trip the typical lithium ion battery powered car will self discharge sitting there and not be able to be recharged until you shell out for a new set of batteries. Apparantly the Tesla cars do this and beyond this, when discharged they can not be towed. Hard to believe but that's what the article claimed.

Electric's not there yet.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #163

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I was figuring it was a symptom of economic recovery, increased demand etc.
But the reality is we are using LESS, not more.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #164

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup there are issues but when one starts looking at Europe and quoting better gas mileage ratings they need to look at the fact that in Europe the general population is using smaller cars and less power than NA and in many cases alternative fuel. They are also not as inclined to travel the great distances we do to work as few feel they have to have the BIG house out in the burbs as those in NA seem to feel is a must have. It might shock a few to learn what the average sq footage of a home in England is compared to NA. So electric works for them. My neighbor uses an alternative fuel car to drive to and from his job for about 3 years now and he loves it. I dont like it as he can sneek up behind you if your out walking and you dont hear it!! Yup he has another vehicle that is used for towing but its not his daily ride.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #165

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
In Europe folks tend to travel MUCH shorter distances.

Years ago, (when I lived in Winnipeg) I had some distant relatives arrive from England and they wanted to know if they could drive to Winnipeg from Toronto. (Sure, why not? Choice of routes, too!) Then they went on to ask if it might take more than 3 - 4 hours? (at speed limit, try several days!)

The distances were simply incomprehensible to them

Yes in Europe they use small, fuel-efficient cars - they can do it because they are not in 'em for than a couple of hours at a time.

If the "typical" person from Britain. the low countries, Scandanavia, etc were to drive from "Chicago to LA" (Route 66 music), whether towing or not, they soon see how it came to be that such sleds as a '66 Ford Galaxie became popular.

So, yes, folks drive smaller cars, smaller distances in smaller countries, with smaller fuel consumption per distance traveled. Not worth comparing to here - at least not for me. I refuse to serve time in a tiny, cramped tin can for 8-12 hours a day when I am supposed to be enjoying my time.

Give me a full-size 3/4 ton or 1-ton p/u as a tug and and enough trailer that I can relax in!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #166

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Holy pewp! Gas hit $4.33 today in Eureka!
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #167

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Not worth comparing to here - at least not for me. I refuse to serve time in a tiny, cramped tin can for 8-12 hours a day when I am supposed to be enjoying my time.
Okay come on Dave admit it... that throaty sound a big block makes brings a big ole smile to your face . No way some tinny rice rocket will ever compare
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #168

Florida
Eureka..... Sounds like CA might be worth avoiding this year......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #169

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Like I said the other day, $3.50 a gallon already sounds like a bargain.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #170

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Originally Posted by Carol H
You can buy a Nissan Leaf (99 mpg equivalent) or a Mitsubishi I-miEV (112 mpg equivalent) in North America.

Just wait until they have to replace the battery or purchase a new 3 thousand mile extension cord.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #171

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
In Europe folks tend to travel MUCH shorter distances.

Years ago, (when I lived in Winnipeg) I had some distant relatives arrive from England and they wanted to know if they could drive to Winnipeg from Toronto. (Sure, why not? Choice of routes, too!) Then they went on to ask if it might take more than 3 - 4 hours? (at speed limit, try several days!)

The distances were simply incomprehensible to them

Yes in Europe they use small, fuel-efficient cars - they can do it because they are not in 'em for than a couple of hours at a time.

If the "typical" person from Britain. the low countries, Scandanavia, etc were to drive from "Chicago to LA" (Route 66 music), whether towing or not, they soon see how it came to be that such sleds as a '66 Ford Galaxie became popular.

So, yes, folks drive smaller cars, smaller distances in smaller countries, with smaller fuel consumption per distance traveled. Not worth comparing to here - at least not for me. I refuse to serve time in a tiny, cramped tin can for 8-12 hours a day when I am supposed to be enjoying my time.

Give me a full-size 3/4 ton or 1-ton p/u as a tug and and enough trailer that I can relax in!
In 2010 we traveled 2,500 miles round trip by car to Bergen and beyond along Norway fjords. Last year we traveled to France and Spain putting about 3,200 miles on odometer. Last year we drove the car capable of using LPG or gas and we travel about 90% on LPG. LPG is about $3-4/gal in France becoming comparable to NA prices. So, yes distances in Europe tend to be smaller but not small enough for tin cans. We live in EU about 3 month per year. I think that the best way to form a valid opinion about other countries is to travel there; otherwise an opinion becomes just another internet tin can one. There are many medium size cars in EU, way fewer SUVs but the average engine displacement is around 1.7 L versus 3.6 L in US. I am certain that car size has a lot to do with gas mileage but the engine size is a huge factor.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #172

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We paid about $4.30/gallon today in Cramer Junction CA. Yikes! It seems to be getting more expensive the further south we drive.
Phil
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #173

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
It was up to $3.59 today at a 7/11 in Plano, Tx.

The Don Pod
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #174

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: reeves99... I think the extra price per gallon in CA. is to cover storage unless you plan on taking your own parking space.
Price here today hit $1.259 a ltr., or $4.90US. Gal. Looks like a shorter camping season is on the horizon. Thankfully we live an hours drive from the US border. Still planing on heading down to Tenn. in Apr. for the Egg Camping Club rally.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #175

Texas
I'm beginning to think the vw Passat TDI is looking good. If I win the lottery I'll go for the Mercedes diesel suv.

The Don Pod
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #176

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually this thread is getting scary, as prices go up, camping will go down. Auto sales, rv sales and the economy in general will all decline, another recession and we are still in one. That is why I'm a little scared!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #177

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually this thread is getting scary, as prices go up, camping will go down. Auto sales, rv sales and the economy in general will all decline, another recession and we are still in one. That is why I'm a little scared!!
Hi: cpaharley...SCARY!!! To think that every day the news comes up with another reason for the increase...and no one seems to be able to get a handle on it??? Who's kidding whom.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #178

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Around here, there was a fire last week at a refinery just S of the border, in Wa State. Seems it was one of bigger refineries on the W coast
Seems that every oil co is going for "efficiency" and so there are virtually no refineries that are running with "excess" capacity - all run at close to 100% capacity
Therefore, the products from the Cherry Point (BP) refinery are now "missing" from the marketplace.
Demand is fairly constant, local supply is a tad pooched and THAT at least is the excuse being given for the humongous increase in prices locally, as we now approach $6.00 per US gallon!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #179

Florida
Wisconsin

We met a couple from Wisconsin towing a 5th wheel with a Chevy diesel. He commented that he's feeling he can no longer afford to travel as prices keep rising, diesel over $4 here.

I asked him how long he was on the road, he said they'd be gone from Wisconsin for 5 weeks and were driving across TX and than back home.

Though I didn't comment, driving a 1000 miles a week is probably not affordable for many. At this rate he's spending $300 to $400 a week on fuel.

Those short trips are killers for big rigs and large tow vehicles. He came into our park at Seminole State Park (Comstock, TX) and stayed one night and was than heading a few hundred miles to his next park.

We'll cover 11,000 tow miles in 11 months, not 5,000 tow miles in 5 weeks. I know we're lucky to be able to travel in this style. My goal is to show that longer, slower trips are more affordable...by the way we spent 4 days at Seminole and could happily have spent a month.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #180

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Just pointing out the irony of people complaining about paying - for example - $3.50 for a gallon of gasoline, but don't complain about paying many times more per ounce for something they can get 'free" out of a tap!

BCDave, it ain't free out of the tap either.

I get a monthly water bill for my tap water. The cost of tap water is also on the rise. Our local company wanted to raise rates by 20%. So far public out cry is holding up that increase. I have never known anyone who's gotten a 20% pay raise.

I don't understand where all these businesses think we're going to come up with the money to purchase anything with products going up and salaries stagnant.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote