3 month trip in USA looking for suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
3 month trip in USA looking for suggestions

Dear members,

I have three month time frame, Sept, October, and November to make an extended trip in the USA. I live north of Washington state. I am looking for suggestions and highligts to consider. This needs to be a relaxing trip and not one to figure out how much we can see in 90 days. Previously we have travelled along the Oregon coast, California coast and made cross contry trips via I 90, I-94 and some of I-80, Chicago to Omaha. Been to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore several times. Been to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion, though I could easily go back.We have no need to travel the Interstates on this trip. We tend to prefer state parks rather than full serviced RV parks. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

Name: Johnny
Trailer: Eriba Puck
New York
Try the Northeast in the fall!! Personally I don't think that there is a more beautiful place in the USA then the northeast in the fall. Try Upstate NY (The Adirondacks), Massachusetts (the Berkshires), Vermont, and the Maine Coast or Cape Cod are all great places from mid September until late October. The fall colors , the harvest, the crisp autumn air, it just doesn't get any better than that. And there is SO much to do in a very small area (when compared to the western states). And in the fall, almost every town in the NE has some sort of harvest festival or annual event or church fair or whatever, that your options are limitless. Give it a try.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
While travelling home from the west coast and Galliano Island, we poked around some of the northern states from Washington to Michigan. Not having been there before we would stop at information places near each stale line, to make inquiries as to local things to see and do. We met a lot of very nice people who were passionate about their local region and had a great time. The only place that was planned was the Charlie Russell Museum and the local KOA couldn't have been nicer to us.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, I'm biased I think you could spend three months in Oregon and not see everything. Meander down the coast from Astoria to Gold Beach... sloooowly. Drive east through the Redwoods... slowwwly. Visit the Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, the high desert of central Oregon, the Wallowas! Go see the ghost towns, then drive east to west on highway 84 in the gorge... slooowly. Look at all the falls!

I'd rather stay-put for a couple of days and take day trips in the area, see all the free stuff and pay to do the good stuff. Biggest expense is in fuel, stay-put can put the brakes on that expense. As my dad used to say, enjoy... you may never pass this way again.

Have fun!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you haven't been to Glacier National Park, I'd add it to your itinerary. You will have to drop the trailer to drive the length of the Going to the Sun road, but you will want to see it in both directions so that's not a problem. There are many campgrounds on either side of the park, as well as within. I've stayed at Apgar a couple of times...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
"If you haven't been to Glacier National Park, I'd add it to your itinerary. "

I second the suggestion to visit Glacier National Park-we went last summer and it was SPECTACULAR!

There have been several articles written about scenic route 89, which goes through seven National Parks . I have been on parts of this route from time-to-time, but if I had 3 months to travel, I think I might like to see the whole thing. Here is a site with many pictures and descriptions about the trip: U.S. Highway 89: Scenic Route to Seven National Parks

I too love the East Coast, but it is a long way to drive. We fly there every few years to visit family and I always wish we could have put the Bigfoot on the plane so we can explore it more in depth. Such a gorgeous area during the months you will be travelling!
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I have to second Donna's response. Cascade lake highway out of Bend-we have spent two weeks there and not seen all the lakes or campgrounds. Highway 26 east from Redmond to the painted hills to 395 north to Ukiah Dale campground and north east on one of the prettiest pieces of road in Oregon that drops you into LeGrand . You are at the gateway of the Wawallas there and near Joseph and Enterprise-Don't miss the Terminal Gravity Brew Pub in Enterprise. Just the beginning of what Oregon has to offer.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, I'm biased I think you could spend three months in Oregon and not see everything. Meander down the coast from Astoria to Gold Beach... sloooowly. Drive east through the Redwoods... slowwwly. Visit the Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, the high desert of central Oregon, the Wallowas! Go see the ghost towns, then drive east to west on highway 84 in the gorge... slooowly. Look at all the falls!

I'd rather stay-put for a couple of days and take day trips in the area, see all the free stuff and pay to do the good stuff. Biggest expense is in fuel, stay-put can put the brakes on that expense. As my dad used to say, enjoy... you may never pass this way again.

Have fun!
Donna, Would you be amazed to know that after 23 years in a big truck I have never been to Oregon? I've been in 47 states and Canada but not Oregon.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Name: Johnny
Trailer: Eriba Puck
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni M T View Post
"If you haven't been to Glacier National Park, I'd add it to your itinerary. "

I second the suggestion to visit Glacier National Park-we went last summer and it was SPECTACULAR!
Going to the Sun Road has got to be one of the most beautiful 50 miles of roadway in America. I would add that to my list of "must see places".
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Donna, Would you be amazed to know that after 23 years in a big truck I have never been to Oregon? I've been in 47 states and Canada but not Oregon.
Then I guess you should just plan a trip! Maybe try and make an Oregon Gathering or a NOG while you're here
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
The Great Smokie mountains are beautiful in the fall. The Skyline drive is very leisurely with camping areas along the way. Shennendoah (spell) Valley is great. Then on nort to New England would allow you to see a lot.

There is the Amish country in Pennsylvania, stop in at the Sight and Sound Theatre for a spectacular religious musical. Hershey is not far.

Camp outside of New York City and take tour buses in to the city, no driving hassles.

The White Mountains will also afford you some lovely spots.

Cape Cod area offers some quaint little spots to visit, and school will be in so it will be leisurely. Then on up to Bar Harbor, Maine with a drive up Cadillac Mountain.

If you want a long drive with not much civilization you could head on over to East Pointe and be the first in the country to see the sun rise. Not a lot other than that to do there, unless you like a few little artsy type shops. It is kind of cool how the river disappears with the tide.

Heading back west you could hit other places in New England and stop of to see Niagra falls, though the Canadian side seems to have a lot more to do. I love Niagra on the Lake.

On your way home you could stop off at the Rock and Roll hall of fame or on down to Canton to the football hall of fame.

A light house tour around Michigan would afford you some beautiful fall colors.

Then you are on your own heading back home.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We took a 10,00 mile, 8 week trip last fall and crossed the country. We did some of the stops mentioned. From Seattle area we stopped in Wallace, ID - interesting old town mining with a historic bordello museum, Butte, Mt, visited mining areas, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Cheyenne, Independence, Mo, St Louis arch, Naches Trace, Nashville, Great Smokeys (Cades Cove), Gettysburg, New Your (took the train is since tours from our KOA had stopped for the season), Cape Code, Original Du Ponte powder factory in Vermont, and Niagara Falls. We visited 33 states. Would recommend any of the paces listed but there are a bunch of others too.

We limited our trip to 8 weeks because we were concerned about getting back before the weather changed. Some friends that we traveled with part of the way, stayed longer in NY and had some pretty nasty weather along the way home.

Have a great time.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #13

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
if you are going to Glacier just keep heading north to Wateron, Banff and Jasper.

At jasper Turn left and head for the coast and Vancouver island.

From there work you way south down 101 to oregon

That would be a dream trip
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
We took four months, leaving Canada's west coast on Aug. 15, driving to the east coast, then south from Michigan to Florida panhandle, across Texas to west coast and north home by Dec. 15. Two favourites — Nova Scotia and Louisiana. See our blog at On Burroed Time and find what we loved.
Talk to people. It's the best part.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Kent if you find yourself around Ft Smith Arkansas ( I-40 exit 5 in Arkansas ) need a spot to stop for a day or too, P M me , we have concrete pad, water, electric, WiFi , all at a huge price of zero.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
September, October, and November would be a good time to visit New Mexico & Arizona.

Some Must Sees in New Mexico.

Some Arizona & a little NM: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Need a trail to Adventure.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent I View Post
Dear members,

I have three month time frame, Sept, October, and November to make an extended trip in the USA. I live north of Washington state. I am looking for suggestions and highligts to consider. This needs to be a relaxing trip and not one to figure out how much we can see in 90 days. Previously we have travelled along the Oregon coast, California coast and made cross contry trips via I 90, I-94 and some of I-80, Chicago to Omaha. Been to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore several times. Been to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion, though I could easily go back.We have no need to travel the Interstates on this trip. We tend to prefer state parks rather than full serviced RV parks. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Hi, Kent!

I see you're from The Okanogan:
Have you pretty much seen most of Eastern Washington?
Do you have a cross-the-border point in mind?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote