4 cyl, 5 spd, '08 Tacoma - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Harry, as long as you're looking at trailers, you have another manufacturer south of you in St. Mathews SC... take a look at Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

I once towed a 13' egg with a '84 Dodge Omni from Michigan to Colorado Springs and back. No problems, but had to go about 50 mph most of the way. If an Omni could do it, your pickup can do it much better.

DavidSo, I wonder if your rear diff could be replaced with a more robust aftermarket one? If anyone is making better ones that fit the Tacoma, that is.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
DavidSo, I wonder if your rear diff could be replaced with a more robust aftermarket one? If anyone is making better ones that fit the Tacoma, that is.
Mike,
Yeah there are other options but none come cheap. I'm hoping that with good lube and care the one I have will live. Mainly that means not overheating it. When I pulled it down for the new gears at maybe 55,000 miles, there was already evidence that the carrier bearing had spun a little. That's not good. I did some things in there to improve the situation, and installed the probe so I can keep an eye on it. We'll see.................
David

Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Towing

We tow our '09 Trillium 1300 with a '00 Subaru Outback rated for 2000#, 2.4 Liter 4 cyl, 5 spd.

Our Trill weighed in at 1840# when we were at Quartzsite this February.

You should have no trouble towing yours with a truck.

As I say, I won't win any drag races and do have some slow hills, but so do a lot of semis. I don't know how it is out east, but CA requires all vehicles towing to observe the 55mph truck limit. I think most states require that. Granted, there are some drivers who break the car speed limit whilst towing, but there are foolish persons everywhere.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #18

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Again, if you're looking at trailers, look at Egg Camper built in Grandville, Michigan. A little more height & width inside, available as all electric if wanted, and no rivets through the outer skin to hold interior cabinets in place.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Again, if you're looking at trailers, look at Egg Camper built in Grandville, Michigan. A little more height & width inside, available as all electric if wanted, and no rivets through the outer skin to hold interior cabinets in place.
Bob & Mike....
Those might be a bit large for this application!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Check your owner's manual

Hmm. I notice no one suggested Harry look at his Owner's Manual. In there should be the information as to what your vehicle can tow. That should be your guide. What we say in this thread has no bearing whatsoever on your vehicle. There are numerous sites on the internet that propose to tell towing capacities, here is one:

HowStuffWorks "Toyota Towing Capacity Chart"

but when push comes to shove, what the owner's manual for the particular vehicle says should be the guide. (the listed link indicates an '08 Tacoma is rated for 3500#, so Harry should be good for almost any fiberglass rig under 20'.

There is also the state regulations:
(I highlighted some of particular interest.)

North Carolina

Max Vehicle Height: 13 1/2'
Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'. On interstate highways; secondary roads still 8 ft.
Combined Length: 60'
Max Trailer Length: 35'
Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
Max Trailer Height: 13'6"
Motor Home Length: 45'
Two Vehicle Max Length: 60'
Triple Tow Allowed: no
Safety Chains Required: Yes
Breakaway Required: Not Stated
Fire Extinguisher: Not Stated
Flares & Signs: Not Stated
Trailer Brakes Required: 1000
Towed Cars: No laws regarding.
Wipers: Yes
Max Tow Speed: 55
Ride in 5th Wheel: Yes
Ride Pickup Camper: Yes
Ride Travel Trailer: Yes
Weight Limits for Towing without Auxiliary Brakes: 1000lbs.
Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs, and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs, shall be equipped with brake controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.
Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 60ft.

(This if from State Towing Laws for RVs)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #21

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
Thank you, Roger!
I read my owners manual, thought I'd ask for opinions of folks with 'real world' experience..Just trying to 'do my homework'. I appreciate everyone's input, have previously looked at EggCamper website [pricey], L'il Snoozy [too futuristic looking,think Jetsons], to suit my sensibilities, and discovered ParkLiner, on this website, which seems to be a for me, excellent compromise between a 13'-16' scampcasita, right up the road from me. I'll be going up there in a couple weeks, either put a downpayment, or back to the drawing board! I've given up on finding a used trailer, I'm not fast enuff, i guess. I'm not too concerned, anymore on the weight/size issue, thank you all FibergalssRV forum! Wish me luck, be seein' someofya'll on the road! Love it here!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Hmm. I notice no one suggested Harry look at his Owner's Manual. In there should be the information as to what your vehicle can tow. That should be your guide. What we say in this thread has no bearing whatsoever on your vehicle. There are numerous sites on the internet that propose to tell towing capacities, here is one:

HowStuffWorks "Toyota Towing Capacity Chart"

but when push comes to shove, what the owner's manual for the particular vehicle says should be the guide. (the listed link indicates an '08 Tacoma is rated for 3500#, so Harry should be good for almost any fiberglass rig under 20'.
Notice that the base tow capacity on the 4CYL truck is 3500#. No tow package is available, so the the tow capacity could only be valid with aftermarket modification. Also it does have a 9"clutch and an 8" ring gear along with a lighter transmission and less HP than it's sibling Tacomas .
Still, it would handle just about any 13footer (and some 16s with a patient and skilled driver).
Regular towing of anything larger would, (figuratively) require leaving that owner's manual at home to save weight!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Actually, nobody asked because the OP gaves us the 3,500# figure several posts back. I also know from experience that the rated capacities are wildly optimistic. Either Harry's truck or mine would be in first or second gear and sitting hard on the bump stops climbing hills with the rated max. It would be a miserable experience. I don't think any of these ratings are valid outside the state of Kansas

I think Harry's inquiry and our responses are entirely appropriate and more relevant than anything the owners manual might say.

I also agree with Floyd about this: "Still, it would handle just about any 13footer (and some 16s with a patient and skilled driver).
Regular towing of anything larger would, (figuratively) require leaving that owner's manual at home to save weight!"

David
Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Harry, please keep us updated on the Parkliner... I'm sure we all would like to hear how they look to you, the pricing, etc. We want all the details on this new unit!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote