48 year old down sleeping bag - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
For years, every time I went camping, I cursed Sir Edmond Hillary.
He was the celebrity Sears used to endorse the six-person dome tent I bought. It had a rain fly that formed a small swimming pool at the top, which grew to Olympic proportion during the night.
I recall climbing out of the tent at 4AM, in my underwear, in the pouring rain, and tugging at the rain fly that was crushing the tent under the weight of glacier cold water, and I remember when it let go. It was like standing under Niagara Falls.
Ah, back to nature.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
sleeping bag

I'm still using my sleeping bag from probably 30 years ago...actually I have two of the same one which you can open up and zip together...one is a little older than the other...they are warm and comfy...I'm also using a Jansport backpack from probably 35 years ago: still going strong...it's been all over the US and a few foreign countries...the sleeping bags and the backpack were made in the USA...

Old 02-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
... i couldn't afford a good down jacket, too; so, i made one from a Frostline kit. i still wear it, even though the zipper is stuck at the bottom and i have to climb into it...
Just about any seamstress shop could replace that zipper for you. For a good jacket you cherish, it's worth it.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Linda, ZachO, everyone, It is nice to hear these good stories, stuff was good back then. WE were good back then ! I'm surprised no one came up with which things they are using belonged to their father ! Like my Pendelton shirt.! And of course everything is more expensive now. Even the price of down is up ! Happy Trails ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #19

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I guess being impressed by something's age is somewhat dependent upon your own years.

A few weeks back, I saw a Coleman oven advertised for sale on another site. The one we use today was purchased at a yard sale my freshman year in college (1967) and still works perfectly well other than the thermometer being a bit loose. This one was advertised 'as new' at a very low price so I kicked off an email asking about country of origin. This was the response I received.

Hi Al K - It was bought only recently from Walmart (last 12 months), so I am guessing it is not Made in USA. However, I have had a chance to compare it with a very old (1980s) US made one and I don't really see much of a difference. The materials quality, the finish, and the solidity of it appears to be more or less the same.

I found the bolded and underscored section amusing. I also still have and regularly use the Coleman white gas stove and lantern as well as the White Mountain sleeping bag I bought that same year. Oh, someone else bought the oven while I was mulling it over so I'm still looking.

Al
Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Nothin' says lovin' like an ol' Coleman oven.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, it just rolls off the tongue!

DavidG, I may have to repeat what you said to some of my relatives... "The price of down is up." Great line!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
As long as we're reminiscing about keeping warm in the cold, a college roommate of mine "back in the day" in Colorado had only a motorcycle for transportation - even during bitterly cold winter weather. At a military surplus store, he found an old heated flight suit (lightweight insulated coveralls but with heating wires running throughout it) - kind of like a wearable electric blanket. He rigged an adapter to power the heating wires in the suit from his motorcycle's electrical system, and he could drive all over the place in those cold Colorado winters toasty warm on his motorcycle. Maybe if Camping World would offer a modern version of that heated flight suit for cold weather camping, more of our northern neighbors could camp throughout the winter months, albeit with a big battery pack on your back or dragging an electric cord behind....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #22

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nothin' says lovin' like an ol' Coleman oven.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, it just rolls off the tongue!

I like that Mike. Ya think my wife would mind if I got in touch with the girl who had the mate to that White Mountain bag? Just to see if she still has any use for it, you know?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
For years, every time I went camping, I cursed Sir Edmond Hillary.
He was the celebrity Sears used to endorse the six-person dome tent I bought. It had a rain fly that formed a small swimming pool at the top, which grew to Olympic proportion during the night.
I recall climbing out of the tent at 4AM, in my underwear, in the pouring rain, and tugging at the rain fly that was crushing the tent under the weight of glacier cold water, and I remember when it let go. It was like standing under Niagara Falls.
Ah, back to nature.
Yes but, that is a lot more interesting story than: "I got a good night's sleep".
Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #24

Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
even worse than the rain fly shower! on our way to yellowstone and the tetons in the fall, we stopped at Herter's to buy a tent. typical of the time in our lives, we could not afford both tent and rain fly. the first night we set it up, of course, it rained, and rained and rained. there were 4 people, 2 dogs and all of our gear in a tent with a waterproof bottom that extended 12" up the sides. it was an unbelievably cold swimming pool. good thing down floats....
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #25

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
even worse than the rain fly shower! on our way to yellowstone and the tetons in the fall, we stopped at Herter's to buy a tent. typical of the time in our lives, we could not afford both tent and rain fly. the first night we set it up, of course, it rained, and rained and rained. there were 4 people, 2 dogs and all of our gear in a tent with a waterproof bottom that extended 12" up the sides. it was an unbelievably cold swimming pool. good thing down floats....
It's unfortunate that tents can't be erected upside down! Or maybe they should just make the top out of the same stuff as the bottom...?

I wish I could have been there, with a video camera, when Glenn took his shower. lol
Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 AM   #26

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
sleeping bag

I used to do a lot of trips on my motorcycle...had all my stuff in a big duffle bag:clothes, sleeping bag, tent etc...one day it rained quite a bit...I found a campground after dark and set up my tent by the light of my motorcycle headlight...got everything set up and it started to rain hard...tent wasn't helping much, it was leaking in on the floor...so I put my sleeping bag in a couple of big plastic garbage bags, put my rain suit on, and crawled in the tent and went to bed...not a real pleasant or comfortable night, but I stayed pretty dry...part of the joys of camping...
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #27

Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
good times!!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #28

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I'm sorry, but every time I see this thread title my immediate reaction is picturing a slightly older person lying on their back, having just taken a fall on a patch of ice...

48 year old down!