5th wheel towing rig - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
A friend said he saw a pretty large 5th wheel trailer being towed by a full sized Chevy Van and the Van was using some sort of rig that the 5th wheel trailer was attached to.

I've looked all over the internet and haven't been able to find any info on them. This would really open up some possibilities for Fiberglass 5th wheels if you didn't / couldn't switch to a Pickup truck.

Anyone know about such things?

EKW

Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Somethin' like this? ... http://www.hitch-buddy.com/

Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Somethin' like this? ... http://www.hitch-buddy.com/
That pretty cool Zeb
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Keith... when I had my Scamp 5th wheel... I investigated these tow dollies thoroughly, and in fact had plans drawn up and the steel and axle ordered to build one of the weight necessary for a Scamp... which, BTW was much lighter than the one shown here. They have a whole bunch of issues of their own, and are not legal for use in Iowa which killed my idea altogether.

Roger
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
... They have a whole bunch of issues of their own, and are not legal for use in Iowa which killed my idea altogether.
Roger
What kind of issues? I have no need for one, just curious.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #6

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Well for starters, if something went wrong with the braking like only the tow vehicle had brakes, and it was slippery, I could see a double jack knife happening really easy. Possibly a trailer flip too.

But then I am a worry wart.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Well for starters, if something went wrong with the braking like only the tow vehicle had brakes, and it was slippery, I could see a double jack knife happening really easy. Possibly a trailer flip too.
But then I am a worry wart.
I don't think a double jack knife is possible. The tow buddy tracks the same as the tow vehicle. In other words, there isn't another pivot point on the connection between the tow buddy and tow vehicle. I wasn't sure until viewing their video.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The Hitch Buddy rears its ugly head again!

It's interesting, I think it's a bad idea, and I suggest a search for "Hitch Buddy" here in the forum (include the quotes so you get exactly that string), which will yield some of the previous discussions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #9

Or maybe rig something up like this ... http://www.ksl.com/index.php/index.php?nid...4,lpid,,cat,149
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #10

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The point being, they are illegal for street use in a number of states. Prior to purchasing a 5th wheel and a dolly, it's strongly suggested you check the laws for the states you THINK you may want to travel to or through.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #11

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Well thanks to all of you for the information. I guess I didn't know what to call it or I could have found it. I'll investigate it now. I'm just looking at alternatives. I still have a horrible itch to get another Casita or a glass 5 th wheel. Gotta save the ''shekels'' though.

Regards,

Keith
Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #12

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Or maybe rig something up like this ... http://www.ksl.com/index.php/index.php?nid...4,lpid,,cat,149
Zeb, while I had my Scamp 19 I considered a variety of contraptions to make it work. I even contacted the factory to discuss a Franken-Hitch like the one pictured. The problem is tongue weight. The standard 19' Scamp tongue weight is in the neighborhood of 700 llbs, and anything you do only increases that weight at an extended hitch ball. With a truck capable with weight distribution of handling a 1,000 lb hitch weight using weight distribution it would be possible to tow that, but it kind of defeats the idea of having a lightweight trailer that can be towed by a light pickup.

The quote from the factory was "Yes, we've seen some of those and we really wish we hadn't. Those setups are really a problem."

Roger
Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Or buy a trailer which was designed right for the purpose in the first place. It's too bad the 2500 series Bigfoot models are so wide and heavy, because a 25B21 would otherwise be a much better fit, as a conventional trailer of this length. Maybe the Bigfoot is still the better idea...

I'm not criticizing the Scamp at all... it's just not designed to be a conventional trailer.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote