Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
*hehehehe*
In my world, when spending the kind of money we're discussing, $5-6k difference is not much.
Agreed. Twenty percent (or so), isn't much difference if you really want one over the other.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If you grew up in a two story house with all of the bedrooms upstairs you'll love a fifth wheel.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #17

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Having both types of trailers each has definite advantages.

The 5th (Bigfoot);
Pros;
Tall inside, no head banging for hubby. He can stand up which is necessary because of his bad back.
Tows like a dream. Turns like a dream due to our automatic slider hitch. This makes Momma (me) very happy. I never was a comfortable passenger with a bumper hitch trailer bobbing and jerking.
We love the overhead bed. We reconfigured it to two single beds front to back.

Cons;
Not being able to use the truck bed with a topper for storage.

As for bumper pull trailer I like being able to use the truck bed for storage. I love the 25ft Bigfoot rear bed model but it "a lot" of trailer to pull for just camping. For full timing it's my dream trailer but I would need a $60,000 dollars 1 ton dually to tow it. I would not be comfortable with anything less. So for the cost of the truck and trailer we would buy a cabin somewhere in the mountains!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Those Bigfoot trailers are pretty heavy.

I had occasion to be inside (and walk around) an Escape 5.0 this September, and there was nothing ugly about it IMO. Quite beautiful and graceful. The big windows on 3 sides of the rear afforded wonderful views. But I was also in an Escape 19' a few minutes later, and preferred its greater width (makes it feel more open and roomy to me) even though some useful length is lost vs. the 5ver.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: mt5937...The trouble with used Escape 5.0's is there aren't any!!! We bought the unit we viewed 8 mo's. after seeing it. How lucky is that? With the limited number of 5.0's the resale, when avail., is in the very nearly new range. Here's a pic. of our trailer at a Scamp camp+ a couple from the tip o the Bruce, near Tobermory Ontario ( Lake Huron/ Georgian Bay. Boy were we busy doing tours. We had lineups all hours. Every rest stop and gas fill is another tour prone area... What fun!!!
The 5-6k $ diff. is made up for in the quality, sleek design...and next to "NO" Rivets!!! Escape 5.0's truely are Limited production trailers.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
The difference is more like the full price of a Scamp 13 with a package. the Escape 5.0 is a nice trailer and has a nice shell design, But Scamp has the edge on their custom interiors and is lighter and narrower.
These are both fine products and price is a part of overall value. If the difference seems trivial or worth it, and you can afford it, then that's what makes the competitive market so wonderful.
I can say without reservation, however, that a few thousand dollars can be the difference between buying and doing without for many people, In fact even a few hundred extra dollars can deny some people their dreams.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #20

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I can say without reservation, however, that a few thousand dollars can be the difference between buying and doing without for many people, In fact even a few hundred extra dollars can deny some people their dreams.
There's no question about that, Floyd. But even with doctor bills that make me wonder if my life was worth saving ...I'm blessed to be able to have some latitude in my buying decisions.

When I retire and move to fixed income, I'm certain the squeeeeeeeeze will be a bit more restrictive.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #21

Oklahoma
Erghh.... don't get me started about doctor bills! My wife had some illness, too. Now she is on S.S. disability and gets Medicare, thankfully.

Medical bills hardly seem fair. If you have insurance or Medicare, the medical facility will accept a much lower amount from that company or from the government. But if you have no coverage, you have no negotiating power and they hold your feet to the fire for the full bill. And it's likely that the services were rendered because you had no choice, it was get treatment or suffer horribly (or even die)... so you're under duress when you sign their papers and agree to pay, without even knowing what the charges will be.

I hope you told them you'll make modest monthly payments (make them wait for their money, at least!) so you can keep enough money to "have a life".
Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #22

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Medical bills will stink until we have absolutely free medical care; then everyone will whine equally

This search for a travel trailer is going to be harder than I thought.

I looked at a Casita 17 yesterday; it nearly made me claustrophobic. I never counted on that after living on small sailboats, on-board ship, and in my BlueBird for so long. We also looked at a BigFoot 19, which was a bit better for me.

The other thing that disappointed me was the quality of construction. Both units were okay, but neither was close to the quality-level that I hoped to find. My suspicion is that this is the battle between quality components and low-weight. I don't know if I can be happy with the compromise.

I have yet to see an Escape or the rare Oliver; I've heard great things about both units, but then I was told the BIGFOOT was the best of the bunch quality-wise.

Are there other good travel trailers that might satisfy those two requirements?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Medical bills will stink until we have absolutely free medical care; then everyone will whine equally

This search for a travel trailer is going to be harder than I thought.

I looked at a Casita 17 yesterday; it nearly made me claustrophobic. I never counted on that after living on small sailboats, on-board ship, and in my BlueBird for so long. We also looked at a BigFoot 19, which was a bit better for me.

The other thing that disappointed me was the quality of construction. Both units were okay, but neither was close to the quality-level that I hoped to find. My suspicion is that this is the battle between quality components and low-weight. I don't know if I can be happy with the compromise.

I have yet to see an Escape or the rare Oliver; I've heard great things about both units, but then I was told the BIGFOOT was the best of the bunch quality-wise.

Are there other good travel trailers that might satisfy those two requirements?
I've never gotten anything for free, and the rest of my response would be deleted anyway.
Milton Friedman can have the credit for the appropriate truism.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a trailer which seems more spacious than a 17 or19 Bigfoot
unless it was a pop-up without the canvas!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I have friends who have a Blue Bird Wander Lodge. If that is your standard, then I understand your disappointment. You might have liked the Oliver's quality, but it was no less claustrophobic than a Casita as they were also 17'. I think Oliver only had one prototype 22' unit before they halted all production.

Another consideration is price point in addition to low weight. MANY people howled with sticker shock when the 17' Oliver was introduced, as its price was 150% of a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with the identical floor plan.

I am impressed with the Escape 19'. I would be interested in your opinion after you see one.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #25

Oklahoma
The Casita feels tight to me, too. It's funny, the Scamp doesn't feel quite as closed in, yet it is the same width. Maybe the carpet on the walls? Not sure. But anyway, maybe you want to concentrate on trailers that are a bit wider and have more open area at eye height or thereabouts. The Escape 19 and Eggcamper felt much more open and roomy to me; they have wider bodies. Both seem solidly built, but the Eggcamper IMO needed thicker seat cushions and was not as polished and refined looking as the Escape.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Casita width versus Scamp width.

We've had both a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16 and though they are the same width outside they are, in a sense, not the same width inside.

Taking the Scamp 16 side bath as an example, the sink side counter is only 1.5 feet deep and the stove side counter is 2 feet deep.

The Casita's sink side counter is 2 feet deep and the side dinette is also 2 feet deep. As a result the center ailse space is narrower.

Another aspect that reduces the openness of the Casita is it's front bathroom. This diminishes the visual front to back depth of the Casita compared to the Scamp's side bath. On top of that the Scamp's large front window provides even a larger apparant depth and a lot of light.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #27

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
To me, sitting in a dinette is just not comfortable! I need a chair or recliner. My plan is to go for the Casita FD 17' and replace the captains chairs with a nice swivel rocker I already own or something similar. The dinette will remain a bed. Being single, I can get away with that. Doesnt anyone else think the dinette is uncomfortable besides me? I couldn't sit there for very long at night or on a rainy day.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #28

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've had both a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16 and though they are the same width outside they are, in a sense, not the same width inside.

Taking the Scamp 16 side bath as an example, the sink side counter is only 1.5 feet deep and the stove side counter is 2 feet deep.

The Casita's sink side counter is 2 feet deep and the side dinette is also 2 feet deep. As a result the center ailse space is narrower.

Another aspect that reduces the openness of the Casita is it's front bathroom. This diminishes the visual front to back depth of the Casita compared to the Scamp's side bath. On top of that the Scamp's large front window provides even a larger apparant depth and a lot of light.
Norm

A much fairer comparison here is between a 16' Scamp Side Dinette and the Casita with the SAME layout.
They are almost the same but the Casita is much shorter inside until you step up to a 17' model. The extra hieght in the Scamp goes a long way to making the Scamp feel more open inside......because it is.
I loved my 16' Scamp and looked at 16' Casitas but always was hitting my head on the ceiling in the Casita.
Many say that is no big deal as we spend most time outside anyway but to me it just made the 16' Casita seem restricting to be in.

Now with a 17' Casita and its major height difference I have no problem at all in mine.

Comparing the front bath Casita with a side bath Scamp is just not Apples to Apples..

Each of the Trillium's I have owned felt much romier inside than the Scamp or Casita of the same length and layout mainly because they are not as rounded on the edges.There is a more upright open feel at all the corners and it adds up to a more roomy feel.