5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Erghh.... don't get me started about doctor bills! My wife had some illness, too. Now she is on S.S. disability and gets Medicare, thankfully.

Medical bills hardly seem fair. If you have insurance or Medicare, the medical facility will accept a much lower amount from that company or from the government. But if you have no coverage, you have no negotiating power and they hold your feet to the fire for the full bill. And it's likely that the services were rendered because you had no choice, it was get treatment or suffer horribly (or even die)... so you're under duress when you sign their papers and agree to pay, without even knowing what the charges will be.

I hope you told them you'll make modest monthly payments (make them wait for their money, at least!) so you can keep enough money to "have a life".
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #22

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Medical bills will stink until we have absolutely free medical care; then everyone will whine equally

This search for a travel trailer is going to be harder than I thought.

I looked at a Casita 17 yesterday; it nearly made me claustrophobic. I never counted on that after living on small sailboats, on-board ship, and in my BlueBird for so long. We also looked at a BigFoot 19, which was a bit better for me.

The other thing that disappointed me was the quality of construction. Both units were okay, but neither was close to the quality-level that I hoped to find. My suspicion is that this is the battle between quality components and low-weight. I don't know if I can be happy with the compromise.

I have yet to see an Escape or the rare Oliver; I've heard great things about both units, but then I was told the BIGFOOT was the best of the bunch quality-wise.

Are there other good travel trailers that might satisfy those two requirements?
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
Medical bills will stink until we have absolutely free medical care; then everyone will whine equally

This search for a travel trailer is going to be harder than I thought.

I looked at a Casita 17 yesterday; it nearly made me claustrophobic. I never counted on that after living on small sailboats, on-board ship, and in my BlueBird for so long. We also looked at a BigFoot 19, which was a bit better for me.

The other thing that disappointed me was the quality of construction. Both units were okay, but neither was close to the quality-level that I hoped to find. My suspicion is that this is the battle between quality components and low-weight. I don't know if I can be happy with the compromise.

I have yet to see an Escape or the rare Oliver; I've heard great things about both units, but then I was told the BIGFOOT was the best of the bunch quality-wise.

Are there other good travel trailers that might satisfy those two requirements?
I've never gotten anything for free, and the rest of my response would be deleted anyway.
Milton Friedman can have the credit for the appropriate truism.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a trailer which seems more spacious than a 17 or19 Bigfoot
unless it was a pop-up without the canvas!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I have friends who have a Blue Bird Wander Lodge. If that is your standard, then I understand your disappointment. You might have liked the Oliver's quality, but it was no less claustrophobic than a Casita as they were also 17'. I think Oliver only had one prototype 22' unit before they halted all production.

Another consideration is price point in addition to low weight. MANY people howled with sticker shock when the 17' Oliver was introduced, as its price was 150% of a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with the identical floor plan.

I am impressed with the Escape 19'. I would be interested in your opinion after you see one.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Casita feels tight to me, too. It's funny, the Scamp doesn't feel quite as closed in, yet it is the same width. Maybe the carpet on the walls? Not sure. But anyway, maybe you want to concentrate on trailers that are a bit wider and have more open area at eye height or thereabouts. The Escape 19 and Eggcamper felt much more open and roomy to me; they have wider bodies. Both seem solidly built, but the Eggcamper IMO needed thicker seat cushions and was not as polished and refined looking as the Escape.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Casita width versus Scamp width.

We've had both a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16 and though they are the same width outside they are, in a sense, not the same width inside.

Taking the Scamp 16 side bath as an example, the sink side counter is only 1.5 feet deep and the stove side counter is 2 feet deep.

The Casita's sink side counter is 2 feet deep and the side dinette is also 2 feet deep. As a result the center ailse space is narrower.

Another aspect that reduces the openness of the Casita is it's front bathroom. This diminishes the visual front to back depth of the Casita compared to the Scamp's side bath. On top of that the Scamp's large front window provides even a larger apparant depth and a lot of light.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #27

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
To me, sitting in a dinette is just not comfortable! I need a chair or recliner. My plan is to go for the Casita FD 17' and replace the captains chairs with a nice swivel rocker I already own or something similar. The dinette will remain a bed. Being single, I can get away with that. Doesnt anyone else think the dinette is uncomfortable besides me? I couldn't sit there for very long at night or on a rainy day.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've had both a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16 and though they are the same width outside they are, in a sense, not the same width inside.

Taking the Scamp 16 side bath as an example, the sink side counter is only 1.5 feet deep and the stove side counter is 2 feet deep.

The Casita's sink side counter is 2 feet deep and the side dinette is also 2 feet deep. As a result the center ailse space is narrower.

Another aspect that reduces the openness of the Casita is it's front bathroom. This diminishes the visual front to back depth of the Casita compared to the Scamp's side bath. On top of that the Scamp's large front window provides even a larger apparant depth and a lot of light.
Norm

A much fairer comparison here is between a 16' Scamp Side Dinette and the Casita with the SAME layout.
They are almost the same but the Casita is much shorter inside until you step up to a 17' model. The extra hieght in the Scamp goes a long way to making the Scamp feel more open inside......because it is.
I loved my 16' Scamp and looked at 16' Casitas but always was hitting my head on the ceiling in the Casita.
Many say that is no big deal as we spend most time outside anyway but to me it just made the 16' Casita seem restricting to be in.

Now with a 17' Casita and its major height difference I have no problem at all in mine.

Comparing the front bath Casita with a side bath Scamp is just not Apples to Apples..

Each of the Trillium's I have owned felt much romier inside than the Scamp or Casita of the same length and layout mainly because they are not as rounded on the edges.There is a more upright open feel at all the corners and it adds up to a more roomy feel.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #29

Florida
A much fairer comparison here is between a 16' Scamp Side Dinette and the Casita with the SAME layout.
They are almost the same but the Casita is much shorter inside until you step up to a 17' model. The extra hieght in the Scamp goes a long way to making the Scamp feel more open inside......because it is.
I loved my 16' Scamp and looked at 16' Casitas but always was hitting my head on the ceiling in the Casita.
Many say that is no big deal as we spend most time outside anyway but to me it just made the 16' Casita seem restricting to be in.

Now with a 17' Casita and its major height difference I have no problem at all in mine.

Comparing the front bath Casita with a side bath Scamp is just not Apples to Apples..

Ed,
I agree with your view. I was comparing what I believe are the two most popular Casita 16 and Scamp 16 floor plans.

There is no doubt that the Scamp 16's extra height is part of the reason it feels more open and it is the reason I don't own a Casita 16. As to the Casita 17, it's simply too heavy, particularly the tongue weight, for us.

As to bathrooms, I'm not particularly fond of either's bathroom and believe it's an area with room for significant improvement. There's no doubt the sight lines, the height, the front window and the ailse width of the Scamp make it seem more open.

As to the more square shape of the Trillium, it certainly does add to the feeling of openness and increases storage space in overheads.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:

If the feeling of spaciousness is important to you, I hope you take a look at the EggCamper, it's eight inches wider and four inches higher inside than the 17' Casita. Being 6' 4" I bump my head in even the 17' Casita, and scrape it in the insulated 19' Escape. Even the 19' Escape, seemed cramped to us in comparison to the EggCamper, although I liked the Escape bathroom better and thought that it's layout was ideal if you camp with more than two people. The major problem with the EggCamper for many people would be that it's all electric - which is no problem for us, since all the parks here in the deep south seem to have electrical hookups. Also, since it's designed by a tall guy, (Jim Palmer), with tall people in mind, the seats are probably uncomfortably high for short people.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
To me, sitting in a dinette is just not comfortable! I need a chair or recliner. My plan is to go for the Casita FD 17' and replace the captains chairs with a nice swivel rocker I already own or something similar. The dinette will remain a bed. Being single, I can get away with that. Doesnt anyone else think the dinette is uncomfortable besides me? I couldn't sit there for very long at night or on a rainy day.
I have converted my dinette area to an adjustable wraparound couch, and it is very comfortable for both of us, especially with the choice of two different tables which can turn 360 degrees allowing for versatile use.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic012.JPG   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #32

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have friends who have a Blue Bird Wander Lodge. If that is your standard, then I understand your disappointment.
I guess that I am spoiled and didn't realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I am impressed with the Escape 19'. I would be interested in your opinion after you see one.

Some how I'll have to arrange a trip to Chilliwampum whatever in BC. It's Chilli something or other, correct?

It wouldn't be a bad trip if there was a road straight along the US border, but having to jump up into Canada where straight roads are at a premium, it's a pretty long trip.

It's certainly a necessary trip before I make a purchase.

The fiberglass work looks to be of a higher standard on the escape too.

I worked on a lot of yachts that had incredibly heavy fiberglass lay up. They were strong, beautiful, and didn't break like a piece of thin crystal when they bumped into something. I think the term "tupperware" in the boating world came from comparisons between these works of art and the cheap things designed for people would couldn't afford a boat in the first place. The downside of that ... none in the sailing world other than initial cost ... but in the camping world the weight would certainly kill fuel efficiency. In a real wreck, there'd just be more glass on the highway and a much bigger fix-em-up bill.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know of one Escape 19 that's in Montana. It recently sold and will be making it's way to California shortly. If you contact Reece & Tammy at Escape Trailer Industries in Chilliwack(!), they may be able to help you find one in your area that you can view. Even if it's a 17 footer or 5th wheel at least it would give you the ability to view the quality first hand.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
This is really interesting. What's the motivation? For just the 2 of us in a Scamp 13', I guess this would allow one of us to lay down along the back wall and take a bit of a nap while the other still gets to sit and use a small table. The large dinette table we don't really need and we'd never sit 4 people in there with 2 on each side anyway since ours is a bathroom model.

Do you have a post with more details and pics of the conversion? I could see this being in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have converted my dinette area to an adjustable wraparound couch, and it is very comfortable for both of us, especially with the choice of two different tables which can turn 360 degrees allowing for versatile use.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #35

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know of one Escape 19 that's in Montana. It recently sold and will be making it's way to California shortly. If you contact Reece & Tammy at Escape Trailer Industries in Chilliwack(!), they may be able to help you find one in your area that you can view.
Thank you, Donna. Chilliwack? ...at least I wasn't too far off for an old sailor

I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm certain the drive would be enjoyable for the wife but saving the fuel from a 1200 mile Eureka-Chilliwack RT excursion would be even nicer for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: mt5937... I'd consider it $$$$'s well spent, wherever you have to go to view an Escape. We were lucky that our 5.0 viewing was only 2 1/2 hrs. away...and even luckier to be able to purchase the 5.0& pickup truck, 8 months later!!!
Another fellow bus operator just passed away... before retirement... so I value the last 4 yrs. of Escamping even more!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I just checked the Escape website and while the 19' has an exterior width of seven feet, the 5.0 is only 6' 8" wide, the same width as the Casita that you found "nearly claustrophobic." One person's cramped is another person's cozy.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #38

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Beautiful job. It would be great if they offered that as an option. I'm not a construction guy, I couldn't begin to do that. But if it were on the option list, especially with the better quality cusions, I would order it that way! Looks good.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #39

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I just checked the Escape website and while the 19' has an exterior width of seven feet, the 5.0 is only 6' 8" wide, the same width as the Casita that you found "nearly claustrophobic." One person's cramped is another person's cozy.
I'd bet that the inches wide is only a part of what brought on that "nearly claustrophobic" moment. "Stuff in the way" probably contributes to it too.

If fate stuck me in that Casita with a 26 year old sex kitten, I'm certain that I'd find it pretty cozy. ...but even good wives have a tendency to lose the 26 year old sex kitten in them...just the way we old farts lose the romance that lured the sex kitten in our old girls
Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #40

Florida
State of Mind

(This may be a little off topic but since I'm feeling a little strange today after a young death in the family, I'm sharing my feelings on cozy.)

So much of life is a state of mind.

Sometimes we need to see the 26 year old in our 70 year old. Amazingly, I know that's what my wife sees in me. Possibly we need to seek and see that part of others.

For me though old and weathered, though aching and unfit, the fact that someone thinks I'm great every day makes the expectation of each morning and night a joy. Now I admit she does wear glasses but Ginny still sees me as an anxious, devoted 16 year old.

Unfortunately I was not born to looking beyond the veneer but did seek it in Ginny. Once it's embraced, and it took me decades to understand it, you can reflect it, become part of it.

The little space we'll occupy for the next 11 months, doesn't seem small but rather cozy, an adventure to be shared. It's not a bother when we slip by each other during the making of breakfast, but a flash of the past, and maybe the future.

I have been so fortunate to spend the last 10 years on the road with Ginny. Every day I learn a little more of what I could have been and am becoming. The special time we have spent traveling has added immensely to my life.

Often we're asked where do you go to get your own space. We do not seek my space or her space but rather our space. Our space is a Scamp 16 and the 6,000,000 square miles of Canada and the USA.

Wishing you all Joyous travel and your space...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16