6.0 Cubic Frig? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
6.0 Cubic Frig?

I just ran through most of the manufacturers and the only units that I saw that had an option of a 6.0 frig was the 19' Escape and 5.0 Escape. That seems like it is correct. Scamp only offered the 4.something as the largest option. Also, it is hard to come by a truly permanent bed and both of those units have one. I would like to buy "American" though since I practice that in my everyday life but sometimes................. Have you ever tried to buy American-made products across the board? No wonder unemployment is so high! Wanting a full-timing unit so have to be precise.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Cathy, We Canadians are North "Americans".
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Cathy, We Canadians are North "Americans".
Oh great. Pretty soon the Mexicans will be claiming to be North Americans, too.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
When in Peru, I learned that Peruvians think of themselves as Americans, too. But I think Cathy's point is that she would prefer to support USA jobs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can support U.S.A. jobs by buying an Escape. It's called trade or even free trade. Many of the components of the Escape and other trailers are made in the U.S.A.
Many of the components of your built in the U.S.A. tow vehicle are made in Japan, Canada and other places.
Your iPod, iPhone etc. are built in China. The company is American.
You'll be rather frustrated trying to "buy American" and you won't be doing anyone any favors ( U.S. spelling, just for you ), including your fellow Americans.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

She could buy corn.
If only the U.S. government wasn't buying it all...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Just for reference...

Ginny and I traveled for most of last year with Scamp's small fridge, I guess about 2 cubic feet. For us it has turned out not to be a problem. Previously we had a 4 cubic foot refrigerator and probably not surprisingly that also was not a problem.

We typically cook 2 meals a day in our trailer, always breakfast.

We have modified the 2 cubic foot fridge. Our's came with one shelf and we added two more shelves. The additional shelfs made it more useful.

We have also modified our expectations. We've given up ice and do not, maybe obviously, ever have frozen foods.

We do carry some things like pasta and smoked salmon that do not require refrigeration.

Unlike some we pack our fridge and it seems to adequately keep things cool.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cathy, what kind of camping do you plan to do? I truly believe BIGGER frigs are for those that plan on being planted for days or weeks on end. AND, most folks put stuff in a refrigerator that doesn't need to be refrigerated... and only when camping! Pay attention to the grocery stores. Most produce isn't refrigerated, just kept cool. Camping storage can be the same. For instance, do you refrigerate potatoes at home?

IF I was full-timing and wanted to freeze/store ice cream and frozen foods. Then yes, a much bigger refrigerator/freezer would be necessary. But, the longest I'm out and "planted" is about 10 days and a 4?0 cubic foot refrigerator works for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Cathy, anything under 2 cu.ft. is cutting it pretty fine even for 2 people. Always seemed to me that I couldn't get two average size grocery items in a 1.9'. Add another cubic foot and everything seems to nest and layer just fine. Might have to take out three items to get at one. but it all goes back. I believe some small 3-ways are simply too shallow front to back to hold any ONE thing leave alone several. A 4.0 would look like overkill to my wife and me.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Wanting a full-timing unit so have to be precise.
See above. The OP.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #11

Glenn, I understand about full-timing. BUT even then full-timing is different things. "Planted" vs travelers. Huge difference. If an individual is able to get out and purchase fresh fruits and vegetable from locals.. that's a big difference than those that need freezer space.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

True. And only Cathy knows what she needs or wants.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
True. And only Cathy knows what she needs or wants.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's certainly true that only Cathy knows what she 'wants', however it's also good to know what you may 'need'.

The experience of others is what this site is about. I don't think anyone's trying to change her mind but rather simply relate their experience.

The whole idea of living in 92 square feet was new to most of us in the beginning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #15

We did full-time for a couple years some time back in a 24 foot stick trailer with a 6.0 cf and had an old Winnebago ages ago with an 8.0 cf which we took on vacation to WDW a couple of times, 3 way and fabulous frig. We spent 3.5 months last summer in our pop-up while house hunting and it had the itty bitty frig and we supplemented the overrun in one of those Coleman things you plug in and used that for fresh vegs & fruit since in the heat they have a limited ability to cool. After I posted this I was thinking, it sounds like eating and sleeping are my only concerns. I appreciate all the comments. I think that I saw photos of all the options of the refrigerators at the Escape website so I'll go there and refresh my memory on how the sizes look inside. The Coleman thermo cooler has been a backup many times even at home when my eyes were bigger than my frig. Ah, fresh berries will soon be on. Thanks again. (Full-timing may include only one person or maybe 2 with a 3rd sometimes.)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The Dometic refrigerator available as an option in the Escape 5.0 & 19 (and probably the new 21) is actually a 6.7 cu ft. Lots of nice features - One interesting thing about it is the freezer can be removed to provide a larger refrigerator section. Unfortunately, it will not fit in the Escape 17.

Here is a link to it at Camping World. If you are considering one, Camping World only stocks the right hand door; a left hand door is available on special order. The doors are not reversible.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It's gotta be huge! How do your get it out when it needs to be replaced?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
It's gotta be huge! How do your get it out when it needs to be replaced?
It is tall, but narrow. Fits through an Escape door. I know that when Reace started looking for a replacement for the 5 cu ft refrigerator they were using, finding one narrow enough was one of the problems. This is a European version that is made with narrow doors in mind...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #19

Jon: Thank you for the Camping World link. I was glad to see that it was a 3-way frig as that is my preference over just the 2-way. I have noticed that comparing a house-type frig with an RV frig that you can get more in the RV frig because it is so better planned out. Went from a 6 cf to a household 12 cf at one time and I swear I could get more in the RV frig.