6'9' tall and 1500 lb limit- Is there anything? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact II 1974
So I found an older ('74) Compact II that I am thinking about purchasing that actually would fit into my 7' garage (6'9" clearance), but am wondering if there is anything currently manufactured that would fit (Scamps are 7'4" I think)? I will tow with a '99 Corolla with a 1500lb limit. For those who helped/ viewed my last post on the Jetta, I decided to have the hitch attached to my Toyota which can tow an extra 500 pounds.

Thx.
David Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
As far as I know, you probably hit the jackpot if you want to garage the trailer. I think the Compact series are THE trailers for that while staying in the "full size" fiberglass RV realm. Of course, teardrops would go in nicely. You may be able to pull it off with an older Scamp or Boler without air if you take the tires off and use a roller dolly or bare rims to wheel it around in the garage.

Roger

On edit, there's a '73 Amerigo on eBay that says in body of the auction that it fits in a garage as well... perhaps that may be an option?
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I read the topic title, I thought YOU were 6'9" tall David I think Roger has got you on the correct path...and the Compact "group" is a definite possibility
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Compact II 1974
Quote:
When I read the topic title, I thought YOU were 6'9" tall David I think Roger has got you on the correct path...and the Compact "group" is a definite possibility
6'9" and 1500lbs... lol. No, at 5'7" I've always been on the other end of the spectrum.

I may have found a Compact II. It's a '74 located in California about 4 hours away. For $3300 I felt it's a bit steep (good condition but needs a few things like a battery, probably tires, etc.), but it seems to be about the going price and it will fit in my garage in San Francisco, which is a MUST.

thx and I'll let you know...
David Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe post-fire Scamp 13's are no longer 7'4"; they are reportedly now based on a shortened version of the Scamp 16 and consequently taller (7'10") -- The web site says differently, but Scamp has been inaccurate there before...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: (I am embarrassed
Hello David,

In our assorted conversations while picking up the Compact II, we briefly talked about maybe there being a station wagon version of your 1999 Toyota Corolla. How if so, there should be a higher spring rate rear suspension available and that would benefit the rear suspension droop you experience while the Compact is on the hook.

I have briefly Google'd and there are no US market wagon versions for your generation Corolla. However there are European and JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) versions. Via the internet it is likely you could buy a pair of higher rate springs.

Vehicles of today are very global and many models exist that one market never sees. The manufacturers leverage as much commonality as possible into the basic structures and equipment and then fine tune model differences to the preferences of the individual markets. Thinking about "what is available elsewhere", may overcome a hurdle here.

This type of thinking may also apply to the Honda Element and CRV. These are two visibly different vehicles that happen to be based on the same platform architecture. They are available in different trim levels, AWD and 2wd, and different market versions. A CRV's droopy tail may get boosted by a change out to an AWD Elements rear springs.

Hopefully this is of value to someone!

-Flint
Flint Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote