86 Scamp came home with us! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Exclamation

Well...I want to thank everyone who helped weigh in on our decision to purchase the 86 Scamp 13. It was a long distance meeting. When I got there and saw "her" I knew we had to bring her home.
She definitely needs some TLC but we look forward to the transformation. Grant, a carpenter by trade, is already planning out the cabinet, table and storage cover rehab. He wants to tear out the original upper cabs and closet door and the horrible use of pressed board(heavy/ugly) someone used to replace lower cabinets and stove hole cover. He is figuring on replacing with cedar which is relatively light and thankfully aromatic. Unfortunately there have been previous leaks that have left the camper smelling like a mildewed boat hull.
Previous leaks and present...The journey home was accompanied by an all day rain. When we arrived home and began really inspecting our new addition, I found multiple areas of leaking. There were small amounts of wetness under front and rear windows and at some rivet sights, as well as a not-so-nice caulking job around the roof vent. How often and for how long had this camper been subjected to leaking?? Now mind you I was surprised by the leaks b/c I had been told the only leaks the previous owner was aware of was around the roof vent and they had been fixed. The smell of the camper the first time I entered it was a little "off"--age,mildew?? The pre-owner had said she steam cleaned the carpet the night before. Ummh, yummy smell of 23 yr.old wet carpet. They had also given it a hefty pressure wash treatment the night before as well. When I talked to them the day after, they felt maybe the pressure washing could have loosened some cualking or such contributing to the moisture leaks??? If I would have inspected a little closer beforehand I would have found that there was what appears to be mildew under the bunk storage compartments, rotted wood where the upper bunk connects, and possible mildew on one of the seams in the back. I would like to know if I can use a bleach/water solution on the insulating liner and in the storage and closet areas where the fiberglass is more vulnerable. Will the lining harbor mold/mildew b/w it and the fiberglass? What else should I be concerned with? I have included some photos of the condition of the trailer--overall I don't think is bad for age-and perhaps used by people that weren't real mindful of care and maintenance. ((I found I could only upload two photos for the allowable attachment space)) I also already have plans this week to purchase new foam and fabric to make new cushions. There was absolutely no way I could keep the old-not only did they smell horrendous but I'm sure they had some mildew or other biological growth, yuck.
As for the cosmetics I feel so comforted in knowing that I have resources like this forum and parts supply at Scamptrailers.com I have already ordered some small items there and they were really helpful. We will be doing most of the rehab work out West(read on). Some of the minor work like replacing rusted inside door handle, cushions, water inlet cover, wheel bearings, and leaks etc. will be done now. The rest will be done out west; flooring, treat rust on frame(appears only superficial), trims, water tank and hose, etc., etc.,

I had really set my mind on purchasing a small fiberglass trailer and I was anxious b/c I was'nt sure another would show itself in the next month or so. My family and I are moving out West..again..and I know how great it will be to travel there with our Scamp in tow-allowing us to make a real journey out of the long trek. Also where we are moving has incredible opportunity for exploration of forests, ocean, mountains, rivers and lakes. I know we will be thankful to have our little Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
368.JPG   376.JPG  

Steph H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')

Welcome to the club. Let the fun and fixing begin.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Steph. Pretty involved posting. I'll answer one question. Yes, I think the power washing added to the leaks. In all my reading, it's been mentioned many times power washing is NOT recommended unless it's a last resort. Hand scrubbing to clean is the way to go. Power washing blasts away caulk (sometimes) and leaks can enter. Same way with power washing around the windows. Quick is not always the best.

You'll find lots of help here with issues. I'd suggest posting one topic per question/problem you're trying to solve... in the Problem Solving forum. That way the topic stays "on topic" (usually) and it will make it easier for the rest of us in "Search" mode.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If the mold and mildew is really bad the best cleaner I found is Jo Max house cleaner. It can be found in paint departments in big box stores. Mix as directed, Jo Max, bleach and water. Use a small deck sprayer to apply and have plenty of ventilation. I have used it both on exterior and interior ensolite.
I just cleaned up a exterior mildew covered Scamp. Just spray on (Don't pre rinse.) and let set a few minutes and you can see the film of mildew disolve, then rinse with a water hose. After rinsing let set in the sun a few hours and you will have a bright white egg. Not shinny but bright white.
I have also used it on one scamp where the interior was actually black from being covered with mold and mildew. It took some brushing but it was the only thing that would clean it up. This was an extreme case and the trailer was completely empty. Jomax will bleach out fabrics and you really need max ventilation if using inside the trailer. I did the entire interior in one shot it was breath taking. Next time I will do smaller areas and use a fan for ventilation.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp