92 Kustom Koach - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
92 Kustom Koach

92 kustom Koach fully fiberglass moulted in 4 sections. Roof and front cap one piece. Sides one piece and back one piece. Not all moulded units are two pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
kk 001.JPG   kk 002.JPG  

kk 003.JPG   kk 004.JPG  

Old 04-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And??
Old 04-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What provides structural support? Are the fiberglass pieces self-supporting, or are they attached to an underlying framework of wood or metal?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What provides structural support? Are the fiberglass pieces self-supporting, or are they attached to an underlying framework of wood or metal?
Attached to a small frame wood frame. The top half has 2 inches of solid insulation.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice looking trailer, I've never heard of them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
92 Kustom Koach

I think the reason we haven't heard of it here is because it is not a true "egg," as purists define it. It makes good use of molded fiberglass sections for the vulnerable roof and end caps, but the sides appear to be flat panels, and, most important, the fiberglass components are attached to a supporting frame, not bonded together to form a self-supporting unit. It appears to have conventional seams where the side panels join the roof and ends.

Nevertheless, it is a very nice trailer, in excellent condition for its age (thanks in part to judicious use of fiberglass), and looks like it might be very similar to a Bigfoot inside. Probably high end when it was made, and limited production. I'd love to see the inside.

Interestingly, I googled "Kustom Koach" and got a number of hits, none of which looked at all like this unit. Most were garden variety aluminum-skinned stickies. This seems like a different company altogether, albeit with the same name. Wondering, Ches, if you know anything of the history?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think the reason we haven't heard of it here is because it is not a true "egg," as purists define it. It makes good use of molded fiberglass sections for the vulnerable roof and end caps, but the sides appear to be flat panels, and, most important, the fiberglass components are attached to a supporting frame, not bonded together to form a self-supporting unit. It appears to have conventional seams where the side panels join the roof and ends.

Nevertheless, it is a very nice trailer, in excellent condition for its age (thanks in part to judicious use of fiberglass), and looks like it might be very similar to a Bigfoot inside. Probably high end when it was made, and limited production. I'd love to see the inside.

Interestingly, I googled "Kustom Koach" and got a number of hits, none of which looked at all like this unit. Most were garden variety aluminum-skinned stickies. This seems like a different company altogether, albeit with the same name. Wondering, Ches, if you know anything of the history?

This unit made in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada. I have never seen another one except in a photo here on this sight. Yes it is built like a Bigfoot. The sides are also molded. The only wood in the frame is on the sides and i believe are glued on. All the rest is wood free frame wise. Yes I know its not the purist as others define a egg. I was looking for another 17ft Boler when I spotted this in a guys back yard. It was pretty sad looking when I bought it. Did a lot of work on it to my wants. The dark panels are oak wood panels which I glue on to get the look I wanted. I have owned at one time a 17ft Boler, 13ft Boler, 17ft Escape, Compact J and a 13 ft trillium. This one is best of all of them imo. I have all the original papers. More in side photos to come later today.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
This unit made in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada. I have never seen another one except in a photo here on this sight. Yes it is built like a Bigfoot. The sides are also molded. The only wood in the frame is on the sides and i believe are glued on. All the rest is wood free frame wise. Yes I know its not the purist as others define a egg. I was looking for another 17ft Boler when I spotted this in a guys back yard. It was pretty sad looking when I bought it. Did a lot of work on it to my wants. The dark panels are oak wood panels which I glue on to get the look I wanted. I have owned at one time a 17ft Boler, 13ft Boler, 17ft Escape, Compact J and a 13 ft trillium. This one is best of all of them imo. I have all the original papers. More in side photos to come later today.
If the inside wood is non-structural and merely supports the interior paneling, then I think even a purist would call it an all-molded towable, aka, "egg." I misunderstood your description of the wood framing inside. I look forward to the additional photos!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Inside Photos
Attached Thumbnails
kustom koach 001.JPG   kustom koach 002.JPG  

kustom koach 003.JPG   kustom koach 004.JPG  

kustom koach 005.JPG   kustom koach 006.JPG  

Old 04-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

I installed a adult bunk for us. I got the top. Its made from a old army type bunk. Bathroom has shower and works great. Fridge is new along with Fantastic fan. TV can be turned to watch from bottom bunk.No need to use table as a bed.All in all I really like it.

Went across Canada with it last year and had one incident. Ended up with a broken spring. Got it fixed in Tipton Iowa on way home. Excellent service there. I did the same mod in my old Boler with the bunk.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Kustom Koach
British Columbia
'92 Kustom Koach

Hey guys, enjoyed reading your conversation. I just, 2 hours ago, put down a deposit on a '92 KK 17' in Calgary. I'm heading out next week to pick it up. Super excited. It sounds like I've just joined a very exclusive club!
baldymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
That's a very nice looking egg that I never heard of before this thread.

What kind of real world weight does she have ?
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Kustom Koach
British Columbia
kustom koach

Nameplate lists the weight as 1209 kg including 120 litres of water and propane tanks
baldymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I guess because yours has 4 components molded from fiberglass vs 2, people think it's not fiberglass molded? It is
One things clear though, it's good looking and laid out well.
I'm appointing you our leader.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I guess because yours has 4 components molded from fiberglass vs 2, people think it's not fiberglass molded? It is
One things clear though, it's good looking and laid out well.
I'm appointing you our leader.
If only two pieces was the requirement to be considered all molded, then any of the double-hull trailers would be on the outside looking in... Just sayin'
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The hc1 has 5 main molds not counting doors that come together and ends up with 1 belly band seam
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote