A/C vs. Fantastic Vents.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2003, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A/C vs. Fantastic Vents..

First I want to thank everybody who responded to my question about the Hi Lift axle. I have decided that I will go with that option..
Now here's another question that relies on people's experience..I cannot make up my mind weather or not to purchase the A/C..(17ft. LD with ALL the options)..or to see if Casita would install a second Fantastic Vent in place of the A/C..I will be camping with the "kids"..my 2 constant companion canines..and would be leaving them for 6hrs(max) to pursue my favorite pastime, flat water kayaking..Do people think that would provide enough air flow with all the windows and door open or would you recommend A/C..this would be during the warm months! Would 2 Fans provide enough air flow in the summer sun if I was not able to get a site with tree shade..? I dont want to overheat my furry family!
Again thanks for all your input, you guys are great..!
PS..I spoke to Jeane Ivie at Casita yesterday..She called in response to an email..I was very impressed with her and her help in answering my questions..seems like a great company..they just took a 2003 17' LD in trade..doesn't have the Hi_Lift axle or I would have bought it. So now I will have to wait till late August..

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:54 PM   #2

Personally I would have both. The fan for "normal" days and the air for those 98 degree 98 percent humidity days.

We suffered for a week last year in LaCrosse Wisc.
98 every day, 80's at night. We went to the movies a lot that week.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #3

It gets hot!

Last year we were camping on the 4th of July in New Hampshire and our AC broke down. I think it was up to 104 if I'm thinking correctly. I know it was a few days above 100. Anyway it was brutal. The Fantastic Fan worked great for a fan but it was still very warm and muggy in the Casita. Trust me I got that AC fixed pronto when we got home.

Get the fantastic fan but also get the AC. you may not need to use it a lot but the few times you do need to you will be extreamly happy you got the option.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #4

Air

James;

If you would go to your profile and post your location it would help us give you a better answer on your temperature questions.

If I was purchasing another new Casita it too would have air conditioning.

Unless you are planning to keep it forever you will find it a lot harder to sell and it will depreciate a lot faster.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #5

Hi Nick
Good point you made on updating profile.With a complete profile a proper answere can be given based on your location and RV type.We are from all over North America.Japan,Ireland and Holland.,and maybe a few others I may have missed.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:33 AM   #6

Get the AC

We have used ours for many reasons. To keep the camper cool for the canine companions, especially when we have to leave them in there to go to dinner or something. it makes enough noise to disract them from other noises outside so they wont bark. And even if it is not really hot here, we have a problem with no-se-ums, and about 5 or 6:00, we have to shut everything up since they come through the screens. So if it is warm, that is an option. We have had to do this many times. We learned the hard way, when they attacked my husband one night camping in Canada. We counted over 100 bites before we figured out what was going on. Duh. I would never do without air in any vehicle.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #7

Thanks again..!

Ok, again, thanks everyone for their considerate relplies..Based on this I plan on the A/C..I will be hopefully traveling all over the US and Canada, perhaps escaping our lovely but cold winter clime here in Vermont..and yes I'm sorry for not posting where I live..we get about 2 weeks of summer usually in July here! But because of the dogs I will get the A/C..
Can't wait to get my little "egg" and join the "group"...!